Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:50 PM   #81
Grovesfan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

I just downloaded this again after having to a complete setup of my BB for the second time in two days! Anyway, when I try to log on to Yahoo! Mobile Mail beta using Opera Mini 4.0 beta, I get an error that says "Connection closed by remote server." I do not have Yahoo! Premium, just the standard. Could that be the problem? I was able to access it this way on Friday (since RIM was down then) in order to see if my email was being pushed to me or not. Today I get this error message. What exactly does that mean and is there anything I can do about it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beth
Old 09-09-2007, 11:46 PM   #82
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Wirelessly posted (8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman74 View Post
alright, this flavor has been giving me hell all day. got a black error message window "Java Exception" yesterday, it closed on me. today i couldn't even load a page. checked the log....all these exceptions.

i deleted om4beta. i had similar issues with 3.1.2, i don't want to deal with opera stuff anymore.
Are you using the latest version of the OS? Opera Mini had issues with the earlier releases for the Pearl.
Yes, the latest tmo OS. Even with other versions of 8100 OSs same thing.
Don't like buggy software, good thing it was free.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:05 AM   #83
islandguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Uncaught exception error

Hello I just installed Opera 4 beta 2 and have been having the following error:

Uncaught exception:
javalang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException.

What is this and how to I correct it?

I am using a Pearl on AT&T. The error happens indiscriminately. It always happens when I click on a link. But when I come back and try the same link it will work.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #84
MyPearl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

Hey guys.. i am a bit puzzled and was hoping someone experienced this before. I was only able to use my native BB browser in mmode type. The 'internet browser' under bowser configurations was never an option for me. I installed Opera 4 beta 2 and suddenly my native BB browser is upgraded. I can now select Internet browser and open full HTML pages. I am thinking it could be one of 3 reasons:

1) Opera 4 did something (unlikely)
2) AT&T pushed new settings my way or maybe changed my service books... etc. to allow me this extra functionality (note i am an old AT&T blue customer hence my primitive mmode browser limitations)
3) I briefly plugged in a new AT&T 3G? sim card from a friend phone today. he does not have a BB but just a low end nokia.

thoughts?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #85
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: If you knew me you would have it!
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPearl View Post
Hey guys.. i am a bit puzzled and was hoping someone experienced this before. I was only able to use my native BB browser in mmode type. The 'internet browser' under bowser configurations was never an option for me. I installed Opera 4 beta 2 and suddenly my native BB browser is upgraded. I can now select Internet browser and open full HTML pages. I am thinking it could be one of 3 reasons:

1) Opera 4 did something (unlikely)
2) AT&T pushed new settings my way or maybe changed my service books... etc. to allow me this extra functionality (note i am an old AT&T blue customer hence my primitive mmode browser limitations)
3) I briefly plugged in a new AT&T 3G? sim card from a friend phone today. he does not have a BB but just a low end nokia.

thoughts?
I think it may have been when you took the battery out and put it back in, it registered you and sent you the right service books.

Looking to buy or sale used car audio?
www.caraudioclassifieds.org
Old 09-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #86
livspop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon (Alltel)
Default Failed to Connect??

I'm using the Opera Mini Beta 2 version and have had it installed for about two weeks. About four days ago, the program just quit on me. I can get to the home screen where all the bookmarks are located, but when I choose a bookmark I get a message that says "Failed to Connect to the Internet." Nothing works beyone startup and the home page. I'm baffled. I should also mention that I tried re-installing it and that still didn't help.

I have an 8830 on Alltel. Anyone else experiencing these problems? I loved using Opera Mini, so of course it had to crap out on me...
Old 09-12-2007, 03:15 PM   #87
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by livspop View Post
I'm using the Opera Mini Beta 2 version and have had it installed for about two weeks. About four days ago, the program just quit on me. I can get to the home screen where all the bookmarks are located, but when I choose a bookmark I get a message that says "Failed to Connect to the Internet." Nothing works beyone startup and the home page. I'm baffled. I should also mention that I tried re-installing it and that still didn't help.

I have an 8830 on Alltel. Anyone else experiencing these problems? I loved using Opera Mini, so of course it had to crap out on me...
Check your Firewall stuff -- and Application Permissions. You might have somehow revoked permissions for it to access the Net.

The other theory is that Alltel is now blocking data from Opera Mini 4, but that would be sinister... (if your other non-RIM network software works, this probably wouldn't be it)

If permissions fail, a clean uninstall of Opera Mini, followed by an OS upgrade, followed by reinstall of Opera Mini, is probably a good next step... (assuming the BB is your own)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 09-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #88
livspop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon (Alltel)

Thanks for the advice. I checked the permissions and it's set to allow on all three. I looked at the firewall and everything looked normal, but I'm not an expert.

I am on BIS and this is my own phone. The strange thing is that I have installed a couple of programs - SmartView email reader is one - where the phone will not let me connect to the internet. I get a message that says something like "you cannot connect because it's prohibited by your IT Policy." Well, I shouldn't have an IT policy because I'm not on BES, right??
Old 09-13-2007, 08:55 PM   #89
UCLAKoolman

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

I really like this browser for surfing pages that would be rendered awkward by the bb browser and opera mini 3.1.

Right now I have two issues with opera 4 beta 2. First, I haven't been able to log into blackberry forums using the browser.
Second, and most important, is that when high quality images are enabled in the browser options, many images on web pages do not load properly. For example, try setting high quality images in the options screen and then load a website like engadget.com or joystiq.com.
When high quality images is not selected, images load fine, but are so blurry and pixelated compared to opera 3.1, that it makes opera 4 useless to me for most webpages.I hope they address this issue, and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #90
UCLAKoolman

I really like this browser for surfing pages that would be rendered awkward by the bb browser and opera mini 3.1.

Right now I have two issues with opera 4 beta 2. First, I haven't been able to log into blackberry forums using the browser.
Second, and most important, is that when high quality images are enabled in the browser options, many images on web pages do not load properly. For example, try setting high quality images in the options screen and then load a website like engadget.com or joystiq.com.
When high quality images is not selected, images load fine, but are so blurry and pixelated compared to opera 3.1 that it makes opera 4 useless to me for most webpages.I hope they address this issue, and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:22 AM   #91
islandguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default where to download opera mini 4 beta?

Ok....I've had it with these uncaught exception error messages! I had no problem with the prior version. Where can I download operamini 4 beta? Opera's website only has the newest 'opera mini 4 beta 2' available for download. Seems like you have to go around and around that site and finally find the bb download, you get this error:
unsupported media type: application /zip. Very frustrating!

Last edited by islandguy; 09-16-2007 at 07:45 AM..
Old 09-16-2007, 08:37 AM   #92
islandguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Something strange has happened...I've installed Opera 3.1 along side Beta 4 v2. When using v.2 now....guess what? No more uncaught exception errors! To test this I removed 3.1...and the Beta 4 v2 began having the same uncaught exception errors again.
Whats going on?! Any ideas?
Old 09-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #93
david_uk

Model: 8900
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguy View Post
Something strange has happened...I've installed Opera 3.1 along side Beta 4 v2. When using v.2 now....guess what? No more uncaught exception errors! To test this I removed 3.1...and the Beta 4 v2 began having the same uncaught exception errors again.
Whats going on?! Any ideas?
By installing the Beta alongside v3.1, you have now installed it correctly, see here http://www.operamini.com/beta/. The authors should perhaps have made this requirement clearer.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:01 PM   #94
DiRN

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_uk View Post
By installing the Beta alongside v3.1, you have now installed it correctly, see here http://www.operamini.com/beta/. The authors should perhaps have made this requirement clearer.
Opera 3 isn't a requirement. That comment is posted there so that people know they won't lose any of their settings in Opera 3 by installing Opera 4.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:54 PM   #95
andrews240

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Anyone having problems getting connected after installation or receiving errors, try going into the running programs list (alt+esc) and shutting down all non-essential programs. I was having all kinds of trouble getting the install to complete(second phase, not physical download and install) before I searched and found a thread on these forums that mentioned closing running applications. I shutdown one at a time until installation completed and Opera 4b2 worked. For me the offending app was berry411. Hope this can help someone else having these issues.

Last edited by andrews240; 09-16-2007 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: DCPS
Old 09-19-2007, 09:22 AM   #96
makedonce

PIN: 24AE6BA3
Carrier: T-mobile MK
Default help with beta

I have version 3.1.9080 on my BB. I Downloaded 4 beta 2 on my PC and when i try to install the alx file it tells me that no other files associated with the app have ben found. the Cod and alx are in the same folder. What am I doing wrong? In my BB it says that i have opera mini 4 beta 2 installed but i cant find in the menus.
Please help
Old 09-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #97
UCLAKoolman

Anyone else experiencing problems loading high quality images? Try loading engadget.com, or joystiq.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:18 PM   #98
snoballz

Carrier: TMo

I think that I'm going to throw my Pearl against the wall!!! I just upgraded the OS and encountered all kinds of problems. I eneded up doing a complete wipe with Jl_cmdr.

On top of that I had to reinstall every application I had since those got wiped out somehow and not in my backup. This included Opera Mini.

I downloaded Opera via OTA and when launching/installing it, I received an error message "Failed to connect to the Internet." I never had an issue before. I checked all my settings (i.e. Firewall) and have no idea what would be causing this problem.

Help, please!
Old 10-14-2007, 11:24 PM   #99
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

3rd party apps are not backed up during a standard backup. During the OS upgrade process the Desktop Manager does back them up and restore them. However, if something happens in the middle of the load and you have to start over those 3rd party apps will be gone. I make my own 3rd party app backup before doing an OS upgrade just for that reason.

Here is a thread that explains how to do it.

As for Opera, did you reenter your apn settings under TCP? They are lost during an upgrade. Go to Options >Advanced Options >TCP and enter the following:

apn:wap.voicestream.com
username:
password:

leave username and password blank. Then reboot the device and try Opera again.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:58 PM   #100
snoballz

Carrier: TMo

John... thanks. It took a bit of thinking but I figured it out last night as I was going through other threads and suspected the APN may have been the cause.

It solved the issues with BB Weather and Opera Mini. Now I have to find out why Auto Lock doesn't work with the new OS. I'm beginning to think I should have left well enough alone and kept the older OS on my 8100.

Oh well. Thanks.
Closed Thread