Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
andrwetn

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Performance Tips on the Black BerryStorm

Please Login to Remove!

The purpose of this post is to share with you tips and issues that I've discovered in using the BlackBerry Storm.

These are *observations* and are subject to change. Typically when I discover what I think may be an issue, I test it in someone of a controlled environment, if possible.

1. CLOSE your applications when done. If you hit the (Back) button, it keeps the application open in memory. Do this with enough apps or with certain apps and you'll be pulling your battery in no time.

Holding down your Blackberry button will show you what apps you have open.

2. Be careful with Google Latitude. I've noticed that when it is on, it eats the battery away. I've also had to pull the battery several times after using it. It's a fun feature, but not necessary. Also, after pulling the batter check your apps to see if Google Maps auto loaded. Make sure you - Exit and Suspend Sharing.

3. Leaving YouTube open (not closing it as stated above) may cause battery drain issues.

4. Using BlackBerry App World. It's so bad, sometimes I think just looking at it makes my phone slow down.

Corrections and more tips to come in the future.

Last edited by andrwetn; 06-26-2009 at 04:13 PM..
Old 07-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
andrwetn

I've confirmed an issue with Google Maps/Latitude. Last week when I was traveling, I used my BB Storm for hours without an issue. Before opening up Google Maps, I checked to make sure apps were closed. Soon after exiting Google Maps, my phone became unresponsive. The next day, I used my phone just fine all day. The following day, I launched GM again and it froze soon after exiting the app.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Thanks, Andrew. Your posts parrot what many have found, and the closing apps via Menu > Close or Exit is documented (across ALL BlackBerry device models, not just the Storm) in hundreds of threads in this forum and others.

Google Maps Latitude does consume massive amounts of data and battery resources. Close it via an exit when you are not using it.

AppWorld doesn't bother me, as long as it closed. And it should be , like any application, closed when not in use. Sorta like do you leave your oven or can opener running when you aren't using it?

Good luck.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
jj4003

Model: 9350
Carrier: T-Mobile

Good tips!
Old 07-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
TylerBoneZJoneZ
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
PIN: INK
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post

AppWorld doesn't bother me, as long as it closed. And it should be , like any application, closed when not in use. Sorta like do you leave your oven or can opener running when you aren't using it?

Good luck.
It doesn't bother me either, considering I don't even have it installed! LOL!
Old 07-13-2009, 05:51 AM   #6
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 20cbbd8e
Carrier: Vodafone Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj4003 View Post
Good tips!
Did you think so? Basically it's pretty obvious to close apps you are not using to save resources.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #7
scassel

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW US

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyrg View Post
Did you think so? Basically it's pretty obvious to close apps you are not using to save resources.
And your sarcastic remark helps what.....your post count. Lack of memory issues are scattered throughout the forums. Not everyone is as savy as some and "reminders" can be helpful. If the object of the forum is to be helpful and assist other users, I would suggest not posting unless that is your intent.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Your reply is where on the list then? Look, friendly and good tips are great! No doubt. But to suggest at this stage in the Storm's life that a new thread telling people to close apps is "good advice" is, well, ridiculous. There is no need to mindlessly shill such posts IMO with "good tips" when, well, they are not particularly good. Sorry, but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade. We can thank everyone and everything of course, but well, moderation is the key.

So in the context of this thread, no, I don't think they were good tips at all. *shrug*.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
Tri-Tip

So I have a question...I hold down my Blackberry key and it shows me some apps. Are those the ones that are running, or are those apps that I can "Jump to" without closing the one I'm in, such as opening Blackberry messenger while I'm sill in my inbox so that when I close Blackberry Messenger, I'm back to my inbox instead of the home screen.

If those are apps that are "open", I jump over to Blackberry Messenger, which I never use, hit the menu key, and then close. When I go back to the apps by holding down the menu key, it's still there, leading me to believe that the apps listed by holding down the Blackberry key is a list of shortcuts and not a list of "running" programs.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Depends I think. They (or components of them) are running as they are "core" apps. I made the mistake of deleting BB MEssenger at one stage and effectively broke my phone! I have never used BB MEssegner from that interface and dont even really know what it is!
Old 07-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #11
scassel

Carrier: VZW US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Tip View Post
So I have a question...I hold down my Blackberry key and it shows me some apps. Are those the ones that are running, or are those apps that I can "Jump to" without closing the one I'm in, such as opening Blackberry messenger while I'm sill in my inbox so that when I close Blackberry Messenger, I'm back to my inbox instead of the home screen.

If those are apps that are "open", I jump over to Blackberry Messenger, which I never use, hit the menu key, and then close. When I go back to the apps by holding down the menu key, it's still there, leading me to believe that the apps listed by holding down the Blackberry key is a list of shortcuts and not a list of "running" programs.
To confirm rileyrg's statement, these are core apps that you cannot shut down. You will always see these (at a minimum) Browser, Home, Blackberry Messenger, Phone and E-mail. It is really not a list of shortcuts (although you could look at them that way) but in fact a list of programs that are running. If you have other programs in the list, then you have programs running in the background that are utilizing resources. This can create problems and cause units to run slow if too many programs are open. This is a convenient way to see what is running.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
DDelaurier

Carrier: MTS

I've found that I've had to do a lot more battery pulls using the Storm than I have with the curve, pearl or 8830. I usually do it once a week. I manually clear my cache content every few days, but a battery pull frees up about 26MB from the 5-6MB that I have after about 5 days or so. After doing this, I've noticed that it's a lot more responsive and seems to run smoother. When I've used different blackberries I've gotten away with doing battery pulls once a month...if that. I downloaded quickpull v2 that's supposed to emulate a battery pull, but I haven't had much luck with it. Just doing battery pulls more often seems to keep it running smoothly.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #13
PBSD
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyrg View Post
Thanks for your lack of contribution.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
DanCLE

I use the Storm heavily throughout the day and do a battery pull at night before I go to bed, then leave it charging over night. This method has helped me a great deal and I hardly ever close programs throughout the day.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #15
rouen1969
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 312D2644
Question Call me blonde, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCLE View Post
I use the Storm heavily throughout the day and do a battery pull at night before I go to bed, then leave it charging over night. This method has helped me a great deal and I hardly ever close programs throughout the day.
I've owned a variety of BB's for over 3 years. I recently purchased the Storm & I love it. My question is, what are y'all talking about in ref to a battery pull? I've not had to do this at all. What is the purpose?

Sorry if this seems like an idiot question, but hey, I need to know.

THX
Old 07-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #16
DanCLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouen1969 View Post
I've owned a variety of BB's for over 3 years. I recently purchased the Storm & I love it. My question is, what are y'all talking about in ref to a battery pull? I've not had to do this at all. What is the purpose?

Sorry if this seems like an idiot question, but hey, I need to know.

THX
Hey, no worries! A battery pull is exactly that...physically taking the battery out of the device and then placing it back in. This allows the device to clear the memory and hopefully function and perform better. This helps with memory leak problems that are known throughout the BlackBerry world.

P.S. I'm glad I got to your question first before the "wolves of the forums" tear you apart. J/k

I hope this helped to answer your question.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #17
rouen1969
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 312D2644
Exclamation Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCLE View Post
Hey, no worries! A battery pull is exactly that...physically taking the battery out of the device and then placing it back in. This allows the device to clear the memory and hopefully function and perform better. This helps with memory leak problems that are known throughout the BlackBerry world.

P.S. I'm glad I got to your question first before the "wolves of the forums" tear you apart. J/k

I hope this helped to answer your question.

LOL ...the wolves don't bother me ...I'm a vampire!
I've pulled my battery on my Pearl & Curve but never had to on my Storm. Thanks again for the info!
Old 07-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #18
xmiinc

Yeh, I can confirm that, rouen1969. I can easily go weeks without a battery pull on my Storm, and i'm not that careful about 'Closing' every app properly.

OTH, I just had my first Storm crap out on me this weekend, after 8 months of use. Worked one minute, dead as a doornail the next. Thankfully, Verizon exchanged it, no questions asked. (They did confirm that it was indeed 'dead')
Old 07-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #19
DanCLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmiinc View Post
Yeh, I can confirm that, rouen1969. I can easily go weeks without a battery pull on my Storm, and i'm not that careful about 'Closing' every app properly.

OTH, I just had my first Storm crap out on me this weekend, after 8 months of use. Worked one minute, dead as a doornail the next. Thankfully, Verizon exchanged it, no questions asked. (They did confirm that it was indeed 'dead')

Glad to hear Verizon took care of it for you. I'm curious how it died on you? Just turned off and wouldn't go back on?
Old 07-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #20
xmiinc

Pretty much. Just let it go into its standard sleep mode after about 20 secs of non-use. But it mysteriously never woke up from that.

The *only* odd thing I noticed in the run-up to this episode was this strange, phantom, unopened message I was never able to find for the previous 36 hours or so (and I really tried...manually, with different search settings, etc...BB really needs to include "Unopened Message" as a Search option!) I got the indicator maybe 10-20 mins after my last check, and I don't receive THAT many messages, so it should've been right there near top of the list somewhere. But I couldn't find it.

I was mulling a battery pull (the first in weeks) when the phone died on me first.

Could be coincidence? Could be a clue.

Last edited by xmiinc; 07-26-2009 at 07:53 PM..
Closed Thread