BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 08:27 PM   #41
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Please Login to Remove!

Hope you're right Corey ('course you always are). Maybe we should all buy some RIM stock, because if NTP reneged on a done deal in order to try and get more cash than they had agreed to, it'll be in black and white writing, and the judge will certainly slam NTP for it.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:56 AM   #42
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

Well... I suppose if we look at how things are going for NTP right now, everything they are trying to do is being slammed... the USPTO is obviously starting to get tired of NTP, cause they are denying everything, the judges must surely be getting tired of NTP, there was an agreement, RIM was happy with it, NTP agreed to it, now NTP is trying to weasel out of it.

RIM just wants this whole thing put to sleep, they didn't care how much it cost, they just need to bring back the confidence that their product will still be available in a years time or so. I can all but guarantee RIM was doing everything outlined in the agreement to a tee. This thread is the kind of discussion RIM wants to see disappear.

cd.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:30 AM   #43
blkberryboy

Model: Repl.
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Corey brings up agreat point, to the "common folk" NTP seems to be just being greedy. Whether I'm a lwayer or NOT, I have to give it to them beacuse lawyers can take a black and white case and make it grey.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:41 AM   #44
stevehuff
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Does anybody know when the ruling that will determine what happens to the BlackBerry service will take place?
Old 10-28-2005, 09:07 AM   #45
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Ahhh...a final ruling. That's even harder to pin down than the roll-out date for a new Berry. Corey's right when he states that RIM (or should I say RIMM), just wants this thing to go away. But I don't agree "...that they (don't) care how much it costs". It is a business after all. And there's the rub. Who is found by the courts to be greedy here. 'Course we're all biased, and it's easy to say NTP will be -- but like the roll-out date for a new RIM product we're all just speculating until the news leaks. One thing that's pretty sure though, it's RIMM's problem (and their stockholders). For those of us whose sum investment in RIMM is a Berry, it's pretty academic. We'll just keep rocking away while the lawyers argue and the courts ponder.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:29 AM   #46
Bear

Model: 7290

There was an original settlement agreement though, correct? One than NTP then claimed was "unfair"?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:00 AM   #47
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

its funny were arent really loyal because we only invested 300 bucks or so into a handheld. if someone comes out with the exacthing and its reliable and the handheld is a little sexxyer and does better things we will all switch..lmao nobody has brand loyalty any more..maybe except for sneakers..most people buy certain brands or style and thats it..other wise gadget heads as i like to call us.. jump around to what works and could care less who makes it
Old 10-28-2005, 10:21 AM   #48
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear
There was an original settlement agreement though, correct? One than NTP then claimed was "unfair"?
Yes, there was an original settlement agreement. And RIM says that NTP reneged. Let's assume that's right. Why did NTP renege? Corey says it's as simple as NTP wanting more money. While there's truth to that, (who wouldn't want more money), there has to be more to it. No trial lawyer worth his salt would allow his client to renege on a deal simply because he wanted more money. It's a sure formula for disaster before the court. So the only logical explanation for NTP walking away from an otherwise done deal is that RIM did something that has given NTP a reason to renege. So we have two great imponderables here -- What's NTP's reason for walking away, and how will the courts respond to it.

But this is for the lawyers, the courts, RIM, and RIM's stockholders to worry about. Not us users. It really won't affect us, IMHO. RIM's products will keep rolling out, and the service will continue. These guys are fighting over how they should split our money. Not over whether RIM should get shut-down.

Last edited by guinda35; 10-28-2005 at 10:23 AM..
Old 10-28-2005, 01:14 PM   #49
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

You said it no attorney worth his money, where do you think his money comes from, dont you think that if he gets them more money he will share in it. Its all economica man, and human nature, i want more.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 10-28-2005, 01:53 PM   #50
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
You said it no attorney worth his money, where do you think his money comes from, dont you think that if he gets them more money he will share in it. Its all economica man, and human nature, i want more.
Not if she gets sued for malpractice. That's why I said no attorney worth his "salt" and not "money".
Old 10-28-2005, 02:05 PM   #51
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinda35
Not if she gets sued for malpractice. That's why I said no attorney worth his "salt" and not "money".
I still say that money is the driver of all of this regardless of your position on lawyer's "salts" and other condiments. In this country the carrot that makes the horse move is Green.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 10-28-2005, 02:25 PM   #52
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

well that is so true
Old 10-28-2005, 03:10 PM   #53
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
I still say that money is the driver of all of this regardless of your position on lawyer's "salts" and other condiments. In this country the carrot that makes the horse move is Green.
Kon Tiki, believe me lawyers want to win. Usually we only get paid if we win. If a lawyer advises her client to renege on a deal without good reason, like only because the other side accepted your offer right away and you think they were willing to pony up more, as Corey suggests, not only will the judge pour you out, you'll lose the case, and your client is looking for another lawyer to sue your ass for such abysmal advise.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:37 PM   #54
sailorlena

Model: 8700c

So, does Good tech supports Blackberries? I'm not seeing it on their website.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:41 PM   #55
corey@12mile

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

I have heard some rumours floating around... I know one of the real biggies at Good has just taken a job with what seems to be a smaller company... I think that people are jumping off the Good boat cause they all realize that it's starting to sink.

I may be totally wrong, but most of the people I know from Good are not there any longer, and now with the management starting to jump ship... makes ya wonder.

cd.

Wanna come kick my ass?

Find me at...
http://www.frappr.com/blackberryforums
Old 12-14-2005, 12:50 PM   #56
sailorlena

Model: 8700c

Good has a conference call today to discuss the NTP case. I think they are trying to get the market share, but from what I see (or don't see) from their website, if an injunction happens, we'd have to give up our BB devices and get one from one of Good Techs 3 carriers.........thoughts on that?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:47 PM   #57
Good_Guy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

Couple of things:

1) No, GoodLink does not support Blackberry devices. However, older versions (read: less feature/functionality) do run on 900/957.

2) Corey, any names since I do not know of any executives leaving Good. Actually, the CFO of Macromedia just joined our Board of Directors.

3) Good is far from "sinking". We have jumped from roughly 3200 customers (not users, but companies) running GoodLink at the beginning of the year to almost 8,000 now. We reorganized our sales department to move from a direct to in-direct (carrier) sales model. This re-org caused some changes in staffing requirements, so, yes, there are fewer folks in our sales department than before. However, engineering, R&D, etc., were not affected and we have actually added headcount there. The purchase of JP Mobile brought on some great engineering resources.

4) I think the press conference you may be referring to is the session "Mobilizing Email and Messaging" that was held at Inter-Op New York yesterday http://www.crn.com/sections/breaking...leId=175001854

Last edited by Good_Guy; 12-14-2005 at 03:50 PM..
Old 12-14-2005, 04:10 PM   #58
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Since Good is probably one of the few cheerleaders of NTP's lawsuit, I would assume Good had a great quarter with all the negative press for RIM. But isn't good's market share very limited not only by it's product but because it only markets to large companies?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:39 PM   #59
Good_Guy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

Actually, I don't think the lawsuit is a good thing at all. Sure, from a business perspective, we are seeing a big increase in BB users looking for contingency plans should BB be shut down. I have said here many times, I don't think BB will get shut down. The damage is being done in the press with all the bad PR. However, that being said, our growth rate has been exponential quarter over quarter before the NTP action got hot in the press.

I have to disagree with your statement that Good's market is limited. It is currently limited only by the fact that we only support Exchange (Notes version due out near the end of next quarter, we are hearing). Our addressable market right now is anyone running MS Exchange.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:44 PM   #60
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I agree I know nothing about your company other than what I have read on your website, but if I remember correctly, you don't market to individual consumers or even small companies, only large companies, correct?
Closed Thread