Old 08-18-2008, 08:17 AM   #1
thelongmile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: 205b61b7
Carrier: TMO Uk
Default Damn you RIM

Please Login to Remove!

Well, the time has come for my mobile contract to expire. Some of you may remember the problems I had with T-MO before, and as a result theres no way in hell that I'm going to renew with them.

Unfortunatley I'm in a bit of a predicament.

At the end of next month, I have to:
Go with another provider and another phone for 18 months and be locked in
Stay with my existing provider and get a new phone
Switch...

Problem is, the only blackberry options are a straight replacment for the one I've got (yes it's good, I've been more than happy with it, but I really don't want the same one again, I've got an opportunity here to upgrade and that's what I want to do), plus this one has.... degraded a fair bit, bluetack currently holds the trackball bit in.

So the only real option I've got is to downgrade to the curve or pearl, or wait untill RIM eventually releases the Bold. In order for me to do that, I'd have to cancel any form of mobile contract, loose any kind of negotiation or bartering points on my new contract, and well, let's face it. Rim isnt exactly being kosher with the release dates of the Bold for the UK, so I could be left without a contract phone for a very, very long time (it's essential that I keep the number)

Of course at the end of this contract, I have 5 days before it automatically renews and locks me into another 18 months.

So I have little or no choice but to actually consider going for......*gulp* an iPhone................

Granted the newer one has some significant improvments, and my mother has one. I like it! but I love my berry. Unfortunatley for me, my berrys on it's last legs... It'll die within 2 months.

Damn you RIM. You spent HOW long making the bold, and now your going to spend HOW LONG deciding when to release it......

ARGHHH

Leave the berry and go to iphone? Stay with berry and downgrade? No phone for god knows how long just on the offchance that RIM releases the bold? or stay with a despicable company for another 18 months and stay with a phone thats going to die... very soon...

I'm effectivley being forced to go to iPhone..... ?:(
Old 08-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

you could just go onto a month to month status for now and buy a used BB from the buy sell trade section as a temporary solution until the Bold is released

Ooops didn't see that it autorenews for you that sux. Some of the carriers in the USA used to do that but it has been stopped by the FCC and US courts. At end of our contracts we go onto a month to month sevice

Last edited by ezrunner; 08-18-2008 at 08:27 AM..
Old 08-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
thelongmile
Thumbs Must Hurt

i know what your saying, t-mobile doesent do it anymore, but apparently i'm the last of the people before the cut off date, so I can't opt out
Old 08-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

You have to make a decision by the end of September?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
thelongmile
Thumbs Must Hurt

yup, sucks eh?
Old 08-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

So, by Sept 22ish, you need to make a decision, or you are stuck with the current? Give it until Sept 15... I think you will know more by then, and as you know at this point in the Bold waiting game, two weeks is a lifetime, but I am betting with the 3-4 other carriers who have them now, they will get moving soon.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
thelongmile
Thumbs Must Hurt

yeh if i dont make a descision im auto renewed onto another 18 month contract.

i take it that you know something I don't lol in regards to the bold...

I hope they do get something soon
Old 08-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

No, I really don't anything else other than what I read here in the pure speculation threads. I just *think* we are getting closer to the spigot opening up on the Bold, and in two weeks you can make a wiser decision with more information at hand.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #9
thelongmile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
No, I really don't anything else other than what I read here in the pure speculation threads. I just *think* we are getting closer to the spigot opening up on the Bold, and in two weeks you can make a wiser decision with more information at hand.
fair enough, I'll hold out, it does seem like rim are taking way too long with this though
Old 08-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #10
Johnny909
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: Worms
Carrier: AT&T

Or, if holding out until the Bold is released in your area does not work, you could always just simply drop all your cell service until such time as you can get what you want! Don't be chained to the man, man.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:05 AM   #11
Hilonesome

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

Well its allready released in Canada maybe, and I'm sure everyone else will follow suit soon. If not you have aways got the option of "gulp" the unlocked ebay phone. I'd rather do that then be tied down. Grr I ended up sticking with T-mobile myself and I'd just about pay them the $200 and leave them
Old 08-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #12
thelongmile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny909 View Post
Or, if holding out until the Bold is released in your area does not work, you could always just simply drop all your cell service until such time as you can get what you want! Don't be chained to the man, man.
I would, but I wouldnt be able to keep my old number, which is essential now, and plus I need the phone for some of the work I do outside of work.

Essentially for me to loose the mobile number, would cost me almost £300 in having my business cards reprinted, and not only that, the cost of having all of the other literature updated, and the cost of informing every possible contact and client that I've got a new number.... which sucks....

Quote:
Well its allready released in Canada maybe, and I'm sure everyone else will follow suit soon. If not you have aways got the option of "gulp" the unlocked ebay phone. I'd rather do that then be tied down. Grr I ended up sticking with T-mobile myself and I'd just about pay them the $200 and leave them
I certainly hope so, would want to try if first... I know what you mean about t-mo, try calling the UK office. I once spent 2 hours on the phone to them, regarding the phone not going off when someone rings me, (to the caller, it rings as normal but my phone does nothing, as if t-mobile, isnt sending the command to the phone to ring or it's not completing the connection).

At the end of all of it, I had to explain to some jumped up little **** that the blackberry I have, does not connect on 3G, nor is it capable of doing so, unfortunatley, we don't have an EDGE network on T-Mobile, so the last 18months, I've actually been on GPRS... then the whole saga started again with a different department, so I just gave up....

I might have to give in and go for the iPhone. I've spent the last two days playing with my mothers, and it's not too bad, the keyboard is wierd, and mail setup is also really odd.... but otherwise it isn't too bad. I will miss having the berry though.... I'll hold out, and see what comes out in the coming month.

You know I havn't made many posts on here at all, mainly because most of my questions have already been answered. This place is great. I'll stick around if I do get the iPhone... no doubt I will constantly whinge about it.....
Old 08-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

Why is this a RIM issue? I are confused.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #14
thelongmile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Because if they were not taking so long to release the bold then I wouldn't bevhaving this issue LOL
Old 08-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelongmile View Post
Because if they were not taking so long to release the bold then I wouldn't bevhaving this issue LOL
Maybe they want it to work upon release without the issues that the new iPhony is having.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
thelongmile
Thumbs Must Hurt

that could well be true....it's unfortunate that it's taking so long