BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 06:57 AM   #1
angelot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Default BIS 2.0 Upgrade - Issues and Answers?

Please Login to Remove!

I just upgraded my BIS per request from Verizon when I logged in this morning.

However, I can no longer access my inbox from my desktop as I go in there often to delete all of the SPAM e-mail instead of doing it on the 7130.

I called Verizon this morning and they told me Blackberry has a new BIS coming out on Monday. Till then, they have no idea if/when I will be able to access my inbox which I find quite annoying.

Does anyone know if I will be able to access my inbox then? I am mad I went ahead and upgraded as I can't go back apparently.

Anyone else done this? What's the deal?

Let me know. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:03 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

If it is the same as the T-Mobile BIS (and that is a distinct possibility) there is no web based Inbox anymore....
Old 04-08-2006, 08:08 AM   #3
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Looks like a new BIS is ready for Verizon. I logged in and got a new screen explaining the changes (although nothing like T-mobile). I did not choose to do the upgrade yet. It does mention getting a new mail connector for the BB.

More to follow.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:10 AM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Thanks - good news.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:25 AM   #5
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

But what, exactly, is a "mail connector?" I upgraded this morning, realized there's no inbox (which isn't a big deal to me), and don't really know what to do with the new interface. I guess I don't need to do much, since I have all my mail from other accounts forwarded and not pulled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
Looks like a new BIS is ready for Verizon. I logged in and got a new screen explaining the changes (although nothing like T-mobile). I did not choose to do the upgrade yet. It does mention getting a new mail connector for the BB.

More to follow.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
whsbuss

The mail connector is the icon on your BB that says Email Settings. When you open it, it takes you to your BIS account where you can manage the settings.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:46 AM   #7
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
The mail connector is the icon on your BB that says Email Settings. When you open it, it takes you to your BIS account where you can manage the settings.
Gotcha. Thanks. It downloaded a new mail connector automatically. Just realized that. Apparently you can see mail messages sent to you BIS account using either the new mail icon or the one already there (the one where BES messages are delivered). So I guess I'll hide the new icon.

There is one quirk with the new mail connector: although I have Hide Sent Messages checked, the new mail connector doesn't hide my sent messages.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:53 AM   #8
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpmumin
Gotcha. Thanks. It downloaded a new mail connector automatically. Just realized that. Apparently you can see mail messages sent to you BIS account using either the new mail icon or the one already there (the one where BES messages are delivered). So I guess I'll hide the new icon.

There is one quirk with the new mail connector: although I have Hide Sent Messages checked, the new mail connector doesn't hide my sent messages.
Do you have other email addresses integrated in the BIS (external POP/IMAP accounts)? I wonder if for each POP/IMAP account you will have separate mail icons on the BB?
Old 04-08-2006, 08:55 AM   #9
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

No, I have all my personal accounts forwarded to BIS rather than having BIS poll the separate accounts. Then I use a hosted BES account for work e-mail. I can see BIS-only messages with the new icon. I can see BES and BIS messages using the regular one.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:04 AM   #10
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpmumin
No, I have all my personal accounts forwarded to BIS rather than having BIS poll the separate accounts. Then I use a hosted BES account for work e-mail. I can see BIS-only messages with the new icon. I can see BES and BIS messages using the regular one.
Thanks.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:15 AM   #11
whsbuss

Default BIS 2.0 Technical Support

Here the link for the BIS 2.0 interface

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...owse&sort=name
Old 04-08-2006, 09:28 AM   #12
gentryma1

Model: 8703e

whsbuss: I guess you may have gotten the answer to your Q from the BB documentation link, but just in case, yup I have 5 accounts I poll with BIS and I got 5 new individual mailbox icons on the BB device (which I promptly hid).

-Matt
Old 04-08-2006, 09:30 AM   #13
angelot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default help..

You guys are talking a little above me here.

So I can see my inbox via the webclient then? If so, how? What is the mail connector? Do I need to download something else than what I did when I logged onto BIS?

Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:42 AM   #14
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentryma1
whsbuss: I guess you may have gotten the answer to your Q from the BB documentation link, but just in case, yup I have 5 accounts I poll with BIS and I got 5 new individual mailbox icons on the BB device (which I promptly hid).

-Matt
Yes the documentation is a bit helpful. I guess each email icon allow you to interface with the BIS from the BB to configure each polled email account. So when sending email you can now select the Send-From address of those configured..... nice.

Is there a default Send-From setting?
Old 04-08-2006, 10:16 AM   #15
gentryma1

Model: 8703e

Yeah it's in the Options -> Advanced Options -> Message Services -> Messaging (CMIME) where you can set the default outgoing address. It does seem to remember what account you used last to send to each recipient and that overrides the default. Could be useful, could be annoying. You also can't change outgoing address when replying, you're locked into whatever account the message was received through.

-Matt
Old 04-08-2006, 10:33 AM   #16
whsbuss

Default Latest from VZW

Called data tech support and got the 1st BIS 2.0 ticket!!

In any case, RIM informed Verizon that until Monday (launch day) the new interface will only be offered if you answered Yes to the update question. After the official launch you will be prompted each time you login until you update. BIS 2.0 will become the default going forward. Sooner or later you will need to do the update.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:41 AM   #17
angelot
Thumbs Must Hurt

I get tons of SPAM and have been using this to delete all of the messages. Now I have to read all of these e-mails twice on my outlook express and the blackberry.

What a pain! Did they tell when/if the inbox will become available again?
Old 04-08-2006, 10:51 AM   #18
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelot
I get tons of SPAM and have been using this to delete all of the messages. Now I have to read all of these e-mails twice on my outlook express and the blackberry.

What a pain! Did they tell when/if the inbox will become available again?
The inbox associated with your vzw.blackberry.net email address will not have an inbox to manage. Any email being forwarded to it will not be filtered (read the documents I posted above from the BB site).

You will have to setup the POP/IMAP for that email address and set the filtering for it.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #19
angelot
Thumbs Must Hurt

So when it says delete on handheld and mailbox. Is it actually deleting the e-mail right from my ISP. How can that happened since the e-mails are forwarded?
Old 04-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #20
Seattle18

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Ok Cingular, where are you???