Old 05-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Arthrog
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Did you return it?

Please Login to Remove!

Mine was returned Monday.. I am going with an Android device.. Not sure which one yet. The PB is clearly able to compete with all the other devices but the lack of software made the decision for me.

Sorry RIM, I really tried to like it!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Did you return it?

Best of luck to you.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
ejmm22
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
PIN: 24E8FFE9
Carrier: AT&T + Movistar.ve

According to NJBlackBerrry I was the only one having trouble with it but it seems he was reading a different forum.
The Playbook wasn't ready to be launched, that is obvious.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

No, I never said that. It just seems that everything you tried didn't work.
Mr. Anthrog returned his because there aren't enough applications (lack of software doesn't equal not being able to get anything to work).
You returned yours because you couldn't figure out how to get it to work.

A very big difference. But thanks for playing. Enjoy.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

Model: PRIV
Carrier: Rogers

I'll admit this. Like many people I usually have a fairly stubborn bias once I get onto something. I have used Winodws forever, I prefer BlackBerries as my smartphone of choice, etc, etc.

I'm not defending NJ, cause I don't know him, and his avatar says everything. He's a fan, and he's a grump... so what?

With that out of the way, I can understand many people having the opinion that the device, yeah it is great, but it doesn't have everything right now so too bad.

For me, I would NEVER buy a tablet. I've used the iPad and iPod for running apps, my workplace bought a few and we ended up not using them. A couple of people have them and use them for very limited purposes.

My boss used to use his iPad for presentations, but found it just didn't work like a 'desktop class' computer. It still had limitations even though he had all the apps he could want.

I'm excited to see the growth the PlayBook as a platform is having, at an expected rate (remember 60 days from launch this thing has to be perfect, they played way too much on the "it's almost there, but buy it now" to let that flop)

Since launch we have seen improvements to the Bridge access, video chat has come, BBM is here and we finally got a FaceBook app! This week we have seen previews of native e-mail and PIM, along with the Android emulation, it just kinda works even the gestures to replace buttons that android devices would have.

This device has plenty of exploitable potential and RIM has to bust their ass to not only provide and exceptional device (done in my opinion) and a buiseness class experience that can stream into a personal entertainment experience (iPad, Android, etc.)

Most people do not NEED a tablet. You buy it as an extension of something.

I personally have used my work PlayBook to do whatever I can, to really try and find the potential. I see it growing, I see RIM actually trying to build a great product.

I can completely understand wanting something right now, right away that 'has it all'

Hardware wise, the device has it. Software wise, the OS is incredibly strong, I've found the user experience to be quite nice.

Software and 'things it can do' are getting there. And if I were one to buy myself a tablet, I would probably get a PlayBook because I see the experience to be all it should be.

As I said, I admit I'm kind of personally biased towards the Blackberry platform. I'm encouraged by the success RIM has had, as a person in the technology field and a Waterloo resident. I've grown up with this company in my backyard.

I will admit I havent done much at all with android, and I've used iOS, but it wasn't some crazy "I gotta get one" experiences.

I also believe that I have the knowlegde of the industry, and the technology to make a fair enough statement on the PlayBook and some of the other devices.

Take my opinion, or don't. It's your money, and your want of whatever it is in the device.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #6
ejmm22
Thumbs Must Hurt

You said "Good move. Considering the number of problems you (not everyone - YOU)"
I guess I read it wrong.
Anyway, I did get it up and running but RIM marketed the playbook in a way that wasn't true at all, for instance, in their tv ad they even showed the BBM being used on the playbook, they said, and bestbuy still have a chart that says skype runs on it.
I waited, like most of the people in this forum, for over a year for the playbook and it came out and is not ready to even browse the web.
Have fun!
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 05-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

So did you return it?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
ejmm22
Thumbs Must Hurt

I did for now, i still think it was a perfect size and could be a great tool but i think i'll wait a little before getting it again. I got an ipad2 and i can do my job with it but it is too big to carry with me everywhere i go.
By reading the posts it looks like RIM has released many updates so maybe it will be ready soon.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:00 AM   #9
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmm22 View Post
I waited, like most of the people in this forum, for over a year for the playbook and it came out and is not ready to even browse the web.
It's not? That's odd, considering I have been using my PlayBook to browse the web. *shrug* Well, I guess I had better stop browsing the web on my PlayBook considering you say it's not ready to do that. Silly me.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:04 AM   #10
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthrog View Post
Sorry RIM, I really tried to like it!
Don't be so hard on yourself. You tried. That's all we could ask of you. Wait... you did give it 110%, right?

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 05-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #11
Arthrog
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Don't be so hard on yourself. You tried. That's all we could ask of you. Wait... you did give it 110%, right?
Staples has a 14 day no questions asked return policy and I returned on day 14... (Part of me was hoping I missed the date).

I am a RIM fan and will not even look at an Ipad....
Old 05-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #12
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

Model: PRIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
It's not? That's odd, considering I have been using my PlayBook to browse the web. *shrug* Well, I guess I had better stop browsing the web on my PlayBook considering you say it's not ready to do that. Silly me.
It isn't ready to browse the web? What are these two browsers I've been using? RIM is tricking us?!?!

... really?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

As far as I'm concerned, Microsoft still has not finished Windows. But computers and software are different; we accept shortcomings and bugs and unfinished product we never accept from other items.

So, you want to be an early adopter? This is what it's like. This is why many people make it a rule to not by the first of anything.

I have not returned mine. In fact, I bought two, one for me and one for my wife, who is about as technophobic as anyone, and she is having a blast with the PlayBook. I had no illusions about what i was buying.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #14
Ade
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile

I agree with most of you, what is the point of buying it if you will reutrn it few days later, if you are used to any new device/product, you should know the first of its generation will have some sort of problem and will be addressed with time and subsequent updates.. i might be biased, i never liked the idea of a tablet, thought it was a waiste, i already own almost 5 computers at my house and about 5 bb devices.. So didnt need it. i knew the playbook will be great just because it was Rim's (bias again) due to my experience with them. And maybe it’s just me, isnt the most fun we have with blackberry devices the fact that we can update every so often. whenever there is a new update, my wife knows its me and the device for a few uninterupted hrs, lol... returning it for not having enough app, does not make sense, you could have saved yourself the trouble by reading the comments before getting it.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Early Adopters are like the Pioneers on the prairie.

And all of the pioneers are dead. I have not returned mine. I am not thrilled with it, but I see the potential. I have not had any problems with it, it just is missing a lot of applications that I want. And I agree with Cooper - no one "needs" a tablet. But they want it.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #16
jimn367
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Well I have an ipad for work purposes so I have some experience with that platform. I have little to no experience with an Android tablet.

I did get some [limited] quality time with a Playbook, but I did not get to bridge it with my phone to evaluate that feature.

I was very impressed with the Playbook. Like the form factor, and despite the impression you get from this forum out of the box the playbook is has more software and capabilities than an ipad. Docs to Go is standard on the Playbook and the ipad doesn't even come with a standard calculator for cripes sake!

Yes there are a ton of calculators in the app store, some [IMO poorer quality or add supported] free, but really? That brings me to my gripe about the ipad. It was not designed to be a productive business companion, it was designed as a platform to produce purchases - music, movies, apps of all kinds...

Out of the box the Playbook is a productive business companion. Yes the [third party] apps stink right now.

I liked the Playbook. I am going to try and get my team to give it an evaluation.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #17
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Until there is stable VPN connectivity and a native Citrix client, the PlayBook doesn't quite quality as a productive business companion yet. I expect it will be, one day. Without an Amazon Kindle native application, it doesn't meet my needs for those all too frequent long flights either. But I love the hardware platform and am generally pleased with QNX. I have an original iPad (great for media consumption) and a Samsung Galaxy tablet, which is good as a, um, well, non business, average device. Native e-mail client doesn't do HTML. Gave that one away.

Great potential. Not there yet.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #18
ifonline
Magic Bananas

I'm waiting on the Kindle app, a Photoshop extension (that sounds as if it might be headed to the PlayBook), a LogMeIn app, and a DAW controller...

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 05-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #19
jimn367
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Appreciate the comments,
When I VPN, etc I just use my laptop. I usually bring it anyway.

Does anyone know if there is a VGA adapter that lets you drive a projector with the playbook? The ipad only plays select content through the adapter, and it does not meet our needs.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #20
OVERKILL
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Until there is stable VPN connectivity and a native Citrix client, the PlayBook doesn't quite quality as a productive business companion yet. I expect it will be, one day. Without an Amazon Kindle native application, it doesn't meet my needs for those all too frequent long flights either. But I love the hardware platform and am generally pleased with QNX. I have an original iPad (great for media consumption) and a Samsung Galaxy tablet, which is good as a, um, well, non business, average device. Native e-mail client doesn't do HTML. Gave that one away.

Great potential. Not there yet.

This pretty much echoes my experience with those devices as well. The iPad was an utter failure for what we wanted to do with it at the office (work) and the Android device (Samsung Galaxy tab) which, when rooted, at least gave us VPN capability, failed to deliver adequate exchange support through IMAP to be useful.

Not being able to see beyond "today" on your Exchange calendar really sealed its fate with us.

The gentleman who was using the Galaxy tab now has a Playbook. We used the video chat yesterday and he absolutely loves it. He is patiently waiting for his onenote connectivity, which he had on Android, but I figure when the Android market is ported, that is not going to be a problem anymore.
Blackberry user since 2001.
Closed Thread