BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #21
LoveMyNewBB

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Well, that turned out to be completely futile.

Uninstalled everything, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted, opened Desktop Manager... same thing. Connected the BB via USB... same thing.

I've used all sorts of external devices - ipods, hard drives, cameras, phones - with my computer and never had a problem until now. I just can't get this to work.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #22
LoveMyNewBB

I didn't want to bump an old thread, so I am reposting this here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnMOD View Post
For anyone having the issue with Desktop Manager stating "Before you begin, verify that your current BlackBerry device is connected to your computer", this may resolve your problem (it worked for me even with Bluetooth):

1) Make sure no "Desktop Manager" components are running. You may need to kill BbDevMgr.exe, RIMDeviceManager.exe, and DesktopMgr.exe using Task Manager

2) Run regedit.exe

3) Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Manager

4) Create a new 32bit dword reg value named "DeviceConnection" and set the value to 1

5) Launch Desktop Manager

For me this was a new install in a VM I created to test this with. I noticed that there was no value named "DeviceConnection" where one does exist on a machine of mine that is working. Once I did this, then DM would at least start up and not show that stupid message screen where it then does not allow you to select the device. It appears that the programmers at RIM need to go back to school and learn how to test application updates and use FRESH computer images for their testing.

HTH

I am trying to see if this will work for me, but I am not as technologically advanced as the OP. I can get as far as step #4 but am not sure exactly what I need to do to create a new reg value (and am a little scared of messing with my reg keys).

Does anyone else recommend this and can you walk me step by step through what I need to do for step 4 as indicated above?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #23
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

If you are game, how about trying this:

1- uninstall again

2- reboot

3- get desktop manager version 4.2 SP2 from blackberry.com* and install it. See what happens.**

* When you get to the page to download the desktop software at blackberry.com, look around. There is a link to download older versions.

** The older version of desktop manager will not sync with the newer Outlook. I think Outlook 2000 is the latest it will work with.

You could also try an older version that will work with your version of Outlook, if you are using Outlook.

Last edited by aiharkness; 12-04-2009 at 07:31 PM..
Old 12-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #24
LoveMyNewBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted (8820)

If you are game, how about trying this:
I'm game for anything at this point. I'll try it and report back.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #25
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyNewBB
I didn't want to bump an old thread, so I am reposting this here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnMOD View Post
For anyone having the issue with Desktop Manager stating "Before you begin, verify that your current BlackBerry device is connected to your computer", this may resolve your problem (it worked for me even with Bluetooth):

1) Make sure no "Desktop Manager" components are running. You may need to kill BbDevMgr.exe, RIMDeviceManager.exe, and DesktopMgr.exe using Task Manager

2) Run regedit.exe

3) Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Manager

4) Create a new 32bit dword reg value named "DeviceConnection" and set the value to 1

5) Launch Desktop Manager

For me this was a new install in a VM I created to test this with. I noticed that there was no value named "DeviceConnection" where one does exist on a machine of mine that is working. Once I did this, then DM would at least start up and not show that stupid message screen where it then does not allow you to select the device. It appears that the programmers at RIM need to go back to school and learn how to test application updates and use FRESH computer images for their testing.

HTH

I am trying to see if this will work for me, but I am not as technologically advanced as the OP. I can get as far as step #4 but am not sure exactly what I need to do to create a new reg value (and am a little scared of messing with my reg keys).

Does anyone else recommend this and can you walk me step by step through what I need to do for step 4 as indicated above?
This is from the thread devnull linked. Over my head.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #26
LoveMyNewBB

Quote:
Wirelessly posted (8820)
3- get desktop manager version 4.2 SP2 from blackberry.com* and install it.
Still not working. It's installed, but under Connection Settings, I selected USB and when I click on Detect, I get "Device not found" and that same damn message on the BB about the USB current not being sufficient.

I've wasted hours and hours on this and it still doesn't work.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #27
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Darn!

I'm out of ideas. Except SpawnMOD's post, which is a bit above me.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #28
LoveMyNewBB

Quote:
Wirelessly posted (8820)

Darn!

I'm out of ideas. Except SpawnMOD's post, which is a bit above me.
Me, too. I wouldn't dare start messing around with my reg keys.

Thanks anyway for all your help, Ira. Really appreciate it!
Old 12-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #29
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

@LoveMyNewBB

I am confident enough to make changes to my own registry, but not enough to coach someone else doing it remotely. Sorry

Google finds quite alot of hits for both messages you are recieving.

Verify Blackberry device is connected
USB charging current

Last edited by devnull; 12-05-2009 at 09:41 AM..
Old 12-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #30
monkeee2002
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330m
PIN: s and needles
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyNewBB View Post

I just inherited a Curve 8320 and am trying to install Desktop Manager on my Dell Inspiron laptop.
Did the person you inherited it from have problems with it, in this respect?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #31
LilithX

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Default Hey i'm having this exact same problem!

Hi I'm having this exact same problem. I own a brand new bb bold and am trying to connect my bb modem to my new netbook running XP. It seems that the computer does recognize my phone when i click on the bluetooth option but when i tried running desktop manager i get the same message about verifying my phone is connected which it is and the message just hangs there even when i'm trying to reconnect the phone..i'm not sure why it does this. I also dl the latest version of desktop manager.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #32
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilithX
Hi I'm having this exact same problem. I own a brand new bb bold and am trying to connect my bb modem to my new netbook running XP. It seems that the computer does recognize my phone when i click on the bluetooth option but when i tried running desktop manager i get the same message about verifying my phone is connected which it is and the message just hangs there even when i'm trying to reconnect the phone..i'm not sure why it does this. I also dl the latest version of desktop manager.
I can't help with the bluetooth question, but regarding the other, try this, so we have a baseline:

Do a hard reset on the blackberry. That is, remove the battery for about 30 seconds and then replace.

Wait for the blackberry to boot up. If it is password locked, enter the password and unlock it.

Do not plug it into a hub. Nor a usb port on the keyboard. Use a usb port on the computer. See if the BB will connect.
If it does not connect, try different USB ports.

Also, note whether the BB indicates that it is charging when you connect it to the USB.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #33
p3shooter

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint

I have the same issue with my 8530 and am getting the same popup stating I need to verify my device is connected to my computer. What solved the issue. Also, my BB DM starts, I can hit options and Help if I am real quick, but then I get the popup and then at the top of the window it says Disconnected - BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Any help would be great.
Closed Thread