Old 06-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 20cbbd8e
Carrier: Vodafone Germany
Default Convenience key : send message

Please Login to Remove!

Hopefully I have just missed this, but when setting a convenience key which is the command to send "a message". Not an SMS (compose) but it gives me the option to send sms or email? Compose seems to be sms only.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

do you mean when typing, to hit the button and it will send the message? i dont quite understand
Old 06-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
kirrinjones
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9000
PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica

Wirelessly posted

Are you asking how to set the convenience key to bring up a new e-mail message when you press it?

If that's what you're asking then based on what I'm seeing, it does allow you to compose an e-mail. What it does is bring up your addressbook. Now if the contact you select does not have an e-mail address, then its gonna ask if you want to call or sms (I believe). If it has an e-mail address it will create the new e-mail.

That's the actions I get on my Bold.

Last edited by kirrinjones; 06-07-2009 at 09:58 AM..
Old 06-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankarlinski View Post
do you mean when typing, to hit the button and it will send the message? i dont quite understand
No I dont.

I mean when assigning a "convenience key" from the screen/keyboard option menu.

There are two : one on the left and on one the right.

I wish to get a menu asking whether I want to send mms/sms/email etc when I press a convenience key.

As it is I can only get sms using the "compose" option.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrinjones View Post
Wirelessly posted

Are you asking how to set the convenience key to bring up a new e-mail message when you press it?

If that's what you're asking then based on what I'm seeing, it does allow you to compose an e-mail. What it does is bring up your addressbook. Now if the contact you select does not have an e-mail address, then its gonna ask if you want to call or sms (I believe). If it has an e-mail address it will create the new e-mail.

That's the actions I get on my Bold.
No. I'm not asking how to set it up to do a new e-email. That would be as limiting as being asked to send a new sms.

I want the default "message" action of choosing whether I want to send a sms/mms/email/direct message. As in when you press the "message" icon.

"Not an SMS (compose) but it gives me the option to send sms or email?"

Also, this is for the storm. Is this copied to the bold forum too?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
ChezDigital
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW

If you're composing a message, and you hit the Blackberry button once, it brings up the context menu, and Send will be selected. So hitting the button twice will send the message, totalling the two clicks/taps that you would endure in your wish. Does that not suffice?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezDigital View Post
If you're composing a message, and you hit the Blackberry button once, it brings up the context menu, and Send will be selected. So hitting the button twice will send the message, totalling the two clicks/taps that you would endure in your wish. Does that not suffice?
Thats nice. But what has that to do with my request for setting a convenience key to the dialog from which you select the TYPE of message you wish to compose? Hell, there are workaround for everything, i.e I might as well not bother using the convenience key ....

I'm not sure what your reply has to do with that - you seem to be talking about confirming send rather than selecting the message type. Or have I missed something?

Last edited by rileyrg; 06-07-2009 at 08:18 PM..
Old 06-08-2009, 12:37 AM   #8
ChezDigital
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW

Ah...I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to set the key to send either of those message types, rather than compose.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
scassel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW US

I am not aware of an inherent feature that will allow this but for $5, QuickLaunch will open with a convenience key and you can add whatever items to that menu that you want (i.e. compose SMS, MMS or e-mail). It is not the same menu you refer to that is part ofthe OS of the phone but it is accomplishing what you say you are looking to do.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by scassel View Post
I am not aware of an inherent feature that will allow this but for $5, QuickLaunch will open with a convenience key and you can add whatever items to that menu that you want (i.e. compose SMS, MMS or e-mail). It is not the same menu you refer to that is part ofthe OS of the phone but it is accomplishing what you say you are looking to do.
The command I am looking to bind is a level 1 command - eg has its own icon. I'm sure it must be there and I'll be forced to apologise to RIM for the previous comment but I cant find it. But the "compose" icon in the message UI prompts for message type (which I want) but the "compose" command you can associate with the convenience key brings up the contact list. OK I can then use the bb button to select email/sms etc so maybe I'm making more of than I should but consistency is everything in a UI.
Closed Thread