Old 11-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
jagooch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Question Bluetooth Sync Not Working

Please Login to Remove!

I have Windows XP SP2 with ONLY the Microsoft Bluetooth stack installed. I just moved from using MS Exchange and BES to using Gmail and BIS for my email services, and now I want to start using bluetooth synchronization.

I have successfully added my Blackberry 8100 to the MS Bluetooth device list, and marked the computer as a trusted device in the 8100's bluetooth device list.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Desktop Manager to make sure it knew that I was BIS for synchronization now, but when I attempt to configure it for bluetooth it doesn't find my phone. I am thinking that most likely my old Service Book configuration from my BES server disabled bluetooth sync. I never touched that setting on the server, but it could be the case.

Do I need to fire up my BES server and change the bluetooth setting there and repush service books? Of course, I would have to shut it off and push service books from my BIS server immediately afterwards. lol.

Let me know the easiest way to get this working. Some good tips would be how to confirm my suspicion about service books, and even better would be a solution. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
jagooch

Cool Missing Services

So, after reading another post and verifying my Bluetooth settings, I can now safely say that the reason that I cannot sync are missing service books.

The missing services ( under options->bluetooth->options ) are:
Desktop Connectivity and Wireless Bypass

If you don't have those, you are out of luck, so far. I am going to call ATT tech support and see if they can fix it. Otherwise, I will fire up my BES server one last time, re-register my device, make sure wireless sync policy is enabled, and repush out the service books.

Once I verify BT is working, then I'll de-registed my device and repush service books from ATT's BIS server.

I wish I could just run a program that did this in 2 seconds over a USB cable or OTA...sigh.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
jagooch

Smile Fixed

Ok, I found the overall problem. It was the IT Policy the disallowed my Bluetooth services. The overall fix was

1.Wipe device using "options->security->wipe device from the blackberry itself. I used the BES server's wipe utility several times, and it just didnt' do the job.

2. Delete user from BBerry server.

3. Re-add the BBerry user on the server.

4. Plug the device into the BBerry server using USB cable.

5. Make sure the user is assigned the correct IT Policy ( the has BT services enabled )

6. Assign the BBerry to the user.

7. The IT Policy will be pushed almost immediately.

8. The BBerry will go through the activation process. Let if finish.

Done!

Note that my IT Policy was being rejected every time I tried to resend it to the BBerry device. From what I have read, this is because the security key changed on the server so it no longer matched what the device had. You'll get an error message similar to this one if this is the case:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: BlackBerry Policy Service
Event Category: None
Event ID: 20000
Date: 11/21/2007
Time: 7:18:29 PM
User: N/A
Computer: ------
Description:
{-------@---l.com, PIN=23EFE4C4, UserId=2}RequestHandler::HandleITADMINDataCommand - ITPolicy Fail Ack for the command SET_IT_POLICY_COMMAND, ErrorCode 0x3, ErrorText "03 Reject Authentication Failed" - Processing packet, Tag=6459074

After all of this work, I verified that BT sync now works, and I am a happy camper. I do need to switch back to BIS now, but that is not a lot of work compared to what I went through to get BT sync working.

I hope that this helps someone.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:01 AM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagooch View Post
1.Wipe device using "options->security->wipe device from the blackberry itself. I used the BES server's wipe utility several times, and it just didnt' do the job.
Of course... A device wipe will not remove an IT policy. There are IT policy instructions posted to numerous threads (search is a very handy feature that is very under-utilized around here).
Old 11-22-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
jagooch

Good to see that trolls are still alive and breathing. No, searching on this site and google over several days did not yield usefully information, it was actually Blackberry's own support section that provided the answer, including the explanation of the error. The IT Policy itself was fine, the fact that it was the blackberry's cryto key that was rejecting the policy that was the root problem.

On a good note, I learned quite a bit about blackberry enterprise server while fixing this issue. On a bad not, I won't have any use for the info unless I need to do the policy push again.

To keep the trolls away, I'll ask the moderator to close the thread. However since I am unsubscribed, I'll never know if they ever did it or not.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

I think you may have taken takeshi's comment out of context, and trust me, he is definitely not a troll.

I will close your thread as you requested.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:28 PM   #7
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

I'd have to agree; I think you definitely took this the wrong way. Sometimes you'll get a thorough / complete response and sometimes you'll get an answer to just part of what you're referencing (I'll do this myself sometimes if I don't know the complete answer) ...

That said the thread is already closed; but just wanted to agree with paul on this one too.
Closed Thread