BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Matt_Stevens
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Angry Storm2 stolen, claim filed, already a nightmare, Asurion strikes again!

Please Login to Remove!

Upgraded to a Storm2 last Fall. Loved it. Made sure it had insurance with Verizon from day #1. Of course, Verizon uses Asurion for their insurance.

OK, so my phone was stolen last week. Made the claim online Saturday, but it wouldn't go through. Had to wait until Monday to call them and finish the claim process.

Asurion refused to send my phone to me at the address I specified, saying it was 'flagged' for fraud. Huh? It's where my wife works and is a secured building in lower Manhattan. Our apartment is in a building without a door man. Fed-Ex and UPS just drop sh*t off here to be stolen, so I never allow packages to come to me at home. After MUCH arguing, they agree to ship me the phone overnight, to my wife's work place, for Tuesday delivery.

No phone Tuesday. Call in the afternoon, they apologize and say it is on the way and will get to me on Wednesday. OK, fine.

No phone today. Nope. Call them and get lied to over and over again, one new excuse after another. Long story short, they finally admit they don't have any Storm2's in stock. They don't know when they will get any in stock and they won't refund me the $90 they already charged me, even if I have to wait weeks for the phone to ship.

Called Verizon and the gal I spoke to said I shouldn't even get insurance because I have had it less than 60 days. Say what?! WTF is she talking about? #1, I have had the Storm2 for over two months and #2 in ten+ years with Verizon have never had a gap in my insurance. Finally get a supervisor and he can't really help me any. He admits the rep before him was mistaken and yes, i always have had insurance. Duh!

He will try and call Asurion to find out an ETA on my shipment and he will credit my account $90 as a courtesy for Asurion taking my money despite not shipping me a phone.

After I talked to him I searched Google and was stunned at how bad Asurion's reputation is. It is BAD. Search just 'Asurion' and nearly every hit is a complaint! They send out refurbed hones that don't work and then charge you $50 to replace them.

Right now I am completely freaked out. the Storm2 is a complex piece of hardware. A refurb could potentially be a nightmare. It might work a few days or a few weeks or a few months and then I am screwed.

The verizon manager had actually said at one point during our talk, "I can move your upgrade date up to today" and that way i could buy a discounted phone. I dismissed that at the time, but now I wonder if this is just better for me. If I could get a phone for a hundred bills, well, then that is better than a refurb for a hundred bills.

At this moment I am waiting for the Verizon guy to call me back.

Anyone have some experience with Aurion? I am very curious what will happen in regards to a Storm2 replacement. I do not want a refurbed phone. No fricking way.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Verizon

This is why I never get the insurance from the carrier.
My homeowners insurance company allows me to put a rider on my plan, for $18 a year in case my phone is lost or stolen.
Haven't had to use it, but it is way cheaper than the crappy insurance the carriers offer.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Moved to more appropriate section.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
Matt_Stevens

Thumbs down Lord help me

Yesterday I spoke to a supervisor at verizon for about 90 minutes and he ended up, so he says, ordering a new Storm2 for me to be sent to the address of my choice on Friday. I'll call today to be sure if this really happened.

In the end the supervisor did what he did because Asurion lied to verizon, claiming they had not charged me for the phone they wouldn't send me. They did charge me and I provided proof. That really put off the supervisor and he did what he did to stop me from saying F YOU to Verizon after 14 years of service.

This entire situation has left a real bad taste in my mouth. Verizon is hurting themselves by using a company they have no control over, a company that sends out, when they feel like it, used equipment, minus the battery, to loyal customers. It's just madness.

I'll update this thread later today after I call Verizon for an update.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
kathrynhr

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post
I'll update this thread later today after I call Verizon for an update.
Please do. This is a painful thread to read. Good luck!
Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
jbairdjr

You really need to complain loudly to Verizon when this is resolved.
Maybe by doing that you can save another user from this problem.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
CoDudette

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

wow, that's horrible.. please let us know if you have any luck.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (well lookie here!)

Unfortunately there aren't many vendors out there for carriers to use and all of them used refurbished when they can
Old 02-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
day
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have the Asurion insurance for my Storm 2 $6 per month. I thought it was worth it til my best friends storm broke and they have to pay $50 for a replacement. I told them that couldnt be true since they pay insurance but sure enough, it is. And after reading this thread I'm convinced to take off the insurance and keep my $6.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

Sadly, Asurion is what all the other carriers use for Insurance.

They went out and bought just about every other insurance company out there, a few years back. Everyone is on Asurion.

I can guess that the root of your problem might be because you reported it stolen.

If you reported it stolen, they require a police report. At that point, most people say it was lost.

next time use their website, phoneclaim.com

Got to understand, the reason its so difficult to make a claim sometimes is because of all the people that have abused insurance in the past (and still are). After all, they are a business.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #11
Matt_Stevens

Exclamation UPDATE as of February 23rd

Here is the latest...

Last wek Verizon sent me a truly crappy loner phone after they realized I was going to file a BBB complaint against them AND drop their service. Under NY law they violated their terms of service so I was not going to have to pay any sort of penalty. Basically, Verizon acted like a company should... It tried to help a customer out.

Meanwhile, my case with Asurion was pushed up with a much higher level and I ended up talking with someone who's job it is to solve serious problems. His name is Jason and he gave me his direct line, something that rarely happens these days. He promised me a "New" Blackberry Storm2 when it came in and offered to send me any other Blackberry of my choice if I so chose, rather than wait for the Storm2. Of course I was not interested in any other phone. The Storm2 was the very reason why I finally upgraded to a good phone.

Yesterday was over two weeks since this all started so I called Jason in order to explain I had lost patience and was going to file a BBB complaint, as that would be the only way to get Asurion's attention. Low and behold, before I could say anything Jason said he was stunned I had not received my phone yet and had assumed I had since he hadn't received a call from me in about a week (I didn't call because harassing them wouldn't make a difference). He checked their stock and saw they have some new Storm2's available and promised to Fed-Ex one to me for overnight delivery. He saw that because I had been charged the deductible two weeks prior, the system just didn't send me the phone because you are only supposed to be charged once a phone ships.

Anyway... Long story short, a very nervous sounding Jason promises that today, Wednesday thew 24th, I will have my phone. We shall see.

This morning I called Verizon to ask about how to return the loner and after 30 minutes or so the rep still didn't know what to do. She had to send an email to her manager and asked me to wait for someone to call me back. Somehow I think this'll be a mess.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #12
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Good thing Jason took care of you (fingers crossed). I always knew guys named Jason were good guys .

Let us know if you get the Storm2 or not. Maybe there is a happy ending to this story after all.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 02-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
Noodle22

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

Yeah! Definately keep us updated. We don't have this type of thing in Canada, so I like reading about these things. I wonder what it would be like if our providers had an insurance option for our phones..

Actually, I think some might have it now, but not the one I'm with.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
Matt_Stevens

I don't blame Asurion for being cautious. There is a lot of fraud out there. Where they went wrong was charging me when they had no phone. Then lying their @sses to me about it shipping and even lying to Verizon, claiming I wasn't charged. That kind of thing is one reason why their rep sucks.

No doubt Jason has tried to make it right. He even sent me a $25 gift card to help pay for the case that was on the phone when it went bye bye. Amazon has the case I like for $25 (on sale) so there ya go. An effort has been made to make it right after a really truly terrible start to the process.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #15
Matt_Stevens

OK, I am rip roaring mad at the moment. Around 5 PM my Storm2 showed up. I opened the box and immediately saw I had been screwed. New? HA! It is a remanufactured phone from Mexico, has scratches all around and even some small dents. The screen itself is not clean. It's a hunk of junk.

The provided warranty actually excludes numerous things covered under the warranty and insurance that I pay for through Verizon. And it is only for a period of 90 days!

No way am I accepting this. Nope. No can do.

My contact at Asurion was gone, but I left him a VM letting him know how I felt.

I then called Verizon and, of course, had to deal with people who are clueless and who don't care. They, as usual, blame Asurion and claim to have no responsibility.

As soon as I hit send on this posting I am heading to the BBB's website. Enough is enough.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #16
Noodle22

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

Ouch. Thanks for keeping us updated on your experience.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #17
Matt_Stevens

Received a call this morning from a nervous and apologetic Jason, who couldn't explain what happened, but who assured me a new NEW phone was on the way to me. Tracking shows zilch so far, but that is normal. Likely it will start to track tonight.

Won't hold my breath on an actual NEW phone being delivered.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #18
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Hopefully he follows through with his word this time.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 02-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #19
kathrynhr

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

I'm glad you complained to the BBB. It irritates me that we consumers have no other choices for insurance.

Thank you for starting this thread.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #20
Matt_Stevens

You're welcome. Tracking shows it's out for delivery, but that means 2PM to 6PM here. It IS going to arrive today, but Lord only knows if it will be new or not. I'll post here once I find out.

I can't blame Jason. The guy is about 600 miles way from the mailing center, so all he can do is place the order. He isn't even able to call the place to talk to them. He has stalked to his superiors about this issue and admits it is a serious problem, one that could cost them legally, so he wants to fix it and I believe him.

Corporations make things far more complicated than they need to be in the name of streamlining the process for cost efficiency. Penny short, pound foolish.
Closed Thread