Old 01-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
EalingBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default GPS Refresh Accuracy

Please Login to Remove!

Can I ask what numbers you guys get if you refresh your GPS - what accuracy reading you get? Mine varies but on average is about 60m (meters?) with 6 satellites which does not sound very accurate to me. To be clear, can you please specifically say what reading you get if you go into Options > Advanced Options > GPS > Menu > Refresh GPS, what the Accuracy number says. The best I have had is 25.38m (I am assuming this means meters) with 8 sats. I spoke to Vodafone and they say this is a normal average reading.

The reason I am asking is because my satnav is throwing in a lot of eroneous commands in built up areas and I am trying to establish whether I have a faulty and inaccurate GPS.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I usually get within 6-20 meters
Old 01-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
EalingBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks. The reason I am asking is because the satnav on my phone regularly gives very frustrating erroneous commands when I am in built up areas, which my Curve never did. By this I mean I'll be driving along and it will suddenly give a clearly stupid command and if I look down at the map image and the road names it becomes obvious that it momentarily thinks I am in an adjoining side road rather than on the main road I actually am, if you see what I mean. When I carry on driving it usually re-acquires the correct road.

To me the most logical reason is the GPS is not very accurate and therefore giving the sat nav occassional incorrect positional data. As I say, I never had this problem with the (same) sat nav on my Curve.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:47 AM   #4
yorrick
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: PON!
Carrier: Vodafone AU

My GPS and other apps using the GPS indicate that I am somewhere between -5m and -28m under sea level. Perhaps it's a southern hemisphere thingy...
Old 02-04-2009, 04:49 AM   #5
jt42cwr

Carrier: Orange

Sats: Accuracy:
4 5.17m
5 4.7m
5 4.92m
5 5.17m
5 5.39m
6 5.17m
Old 02-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
Nucker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: Its a personal identification #
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by EalingBB View Post
Can I ask what numbers you guys get if you refresh your GPS - what accuracy reading you get? Mine varies but on average is about 60m (meters?) with 6 satellites which does not sound very accurate to me. To be clear, can you please specifically say what reading you get if you go into Options > Advanced Options > GPS > Menu > Refresh GPS, what the Accuracy number says. The best I have had is 25.38m (I am assuming this means meters) with 8 sats. I spoke to Vodafone and they say this is a normal average reading.

The reason I am asking is because my satnav is throwing in a lot of eroneous commands in built up areas and I am trying to establish whether I have a faulty and inaccurate GPS.

Me on an unlocked verizon phone grabs 11 sats and 3 - 6 meters.
My fathers phone right next to me 4 to 6 sats and 30 -50 meters.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorrick View Post
My GPS and other apps using the GPS indicate that I am somewhere between -5m and -28m under sea level. Perhaps it's a southern hemisphere thingy...
Altitude is not that accurate using a commercial GPS. But then with those numbers you are well within the advertised accuracy range.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 02-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EalingBB View Post

Accuracy depends on a lot of issues, including how the DoD has Selective Availability set. I think anything with 40 meters or so using an inexpensive commercially available GPS unit is quite good.

I notice that every so often the system in my car tends to forget where it is and goes driving off in the boonies. It will eventually find its way and come back - almost like the lane drops we would see with airborne OMEGA/VLF units. I have also seen bad positioning data in areas with tall buildings, such as NYC.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Closed Thread