Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
scourge_9999

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Flaws of the 8900

Please Login to Remove!

I've had a variety of Blackberry's but this one by far has had the most bugs and issues thus far. Here is a short list of my complaints:

1) Browser incorrectly loads pages - The browser will randomly load web pages incompletely. Specifically, it will load only part of a pages content and then cutoff the rest. Even worse is that there is no error or warning when it does this so therefore sometimes you don't even notice it has done it. I've tried many things to fix this flaw but with no noticeable effect: change to column view, change browser identification, clearing history and cache.

2) Video player support - the video player support is extremely limited. In my experience I can play about 10% of the videos I can download. The video player appears finicky even on videos of the same type. Either the codecs included with the device are extremely limited or the player itself is limited. Haven't done enough research to figure out what the real reason for this is.

3) Text messaging slowness - This is a flaw or bug I've noticed with EVERY single blackberry I've owned. They all experience extremely slow processing for text messaging when your SMS text inbox has a large number of messages (100+) in it. This is the case even when there is plenty of system memory available on the device and no other processes are running. The slowness is immediately corrected by deleting all messages. I'm speculating but I imagine it has something to do with the algorithm used for the storing and searching of messages in memory. Its in dire need of replacing or optimization if I am correct.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
davidandrew
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: Ask.
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourge_9999 View Post
I've had a variety of Blackberry's but this one by far has had the most bugs and issues thus far. Here is a short list of my complaints:

1) Browser incorrectly loads pages - The browser will randomly load web pages incompletely. Specifically, it will load only part of a pages content and then cutoff the rest. Even worse is that there is no error or warning when it does this so therefore sometimes you don't even notice it has done it. I've tried many things to fix this flaw but with no noticeable effect: change to column view, change browser identification, clearing history and cache.

2) Video player support - the video player support is extremely limited. In my experience I can play about 10% of the videos I can download. The video player appears finicky even on videos of the same type. Either the codecs included with the device are extremely limited or the player itself is limited. Haven't done enough research to figure out what the real reason for this is.

3) Text messaging slowness - This is a flaw or bug I've noticed with EVERY single blackberry I've owned. They all experience extremely slow processing for text messaging when your SMS text inbox has a large number of messages (100+) in it. This is the case even when there is plenty of system memory available on the device and no other processes are running. The slowness is immediately corrected by deleting all messages. I'm speculating but I imagine it has something to do with the algorithm used for the storing and searching of messages in memory. Its in dire need of replacing or optimization if I am correct.
I'm not sure why your text messages are slowing unless you're not using a memory card help with the memory issue.

Those are exactly the things blackberry's don't excel at, given it's a more professional feel rather than the new flashy phone which work more for the browser, videos, and applications, blackberry excels at somewhat the opposite, push emails, texts, being on BES, the flashiness comes after.
I wouldn't necessary call it a flaw but more of something they need to working on to expand, it will all come in time. No phone is perfect.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

For the text messaging issue, try OS 5.0. It has threaded texting and when I was running 5.0, I didn't experience any slowness with texting.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 11-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
davidandrew
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: Ask.
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
For the text messaging issue, try OS 5.0. It has threaded texting and when I was running 5.0, I didn't experience any slowness with texting.
Actually you're right, I use BBM more than anything, but after updating to O.S. 5 the threaded system is a lot quicker more organized and just a general better concept for the phone.

5.0.0.348 is the latest beta 5.0 OS.
Also I'm sticking with thinking it's a memory issue with the current OS you are using.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:13 AM   #5
scourge_9999

Any suggestions on the browser issue? Have you experienced it before? It is by far the most irritating.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
jsconyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourge_9999 View Post
Any suggestions on the browser issue? Have you experienced it before? It is by far the most irritating.
Have you tired a battery pull? If not, try looking into a third party browser such as Opera Mini or Bolt. Also, upgrading the OS may clear this issue up as well.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
scourge_9999

Quote:
Have you tired a battery pull?
No. As a computer engineer I find this highly unlikely that it will have any effect on the software. But I'll give it a try nonetheless.

Quote:
If not, try looking into a third party browser such as Opera Mini or Bolt.
That is what some others had suggested. Apparently its not just a problem with the phone but the coding of the browser itself.

Quote:
Also, upgrading the OS may clear this issue up as well.
I was looking into this a bit. Is there any official release of the O.S. 5? Do you have a link to it?
Old 12-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
jsconyers

A battery pull is known to resolve many quirky issues with BlackBerry devices. It is usually the first step in troubleshooting these devices.

There is no official OS release for the 8900, but there are some leaked versions. They're made by RIM but got leaked. Check the Beta You Than Me section of the forums.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
jsconyers

Take a look at this thread

http://www.blackberryforums.com/beta...0-0-348-a.html
Old 12-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #10
mvincelli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 21F4CA69
Carrier: TMobile

Hi, Try the Bolt browser, It loads faster gives you a full page and the page looks like it does on a computer.
Thanks!!