Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Most people use BIS. I'm on hosted BES for my personal BB (as are many others). As you can see, part of the problem is that there are a number of ways to handle things...

I'm not saying that this will address all your questions but have you checked out BlackberryFAQ.com?

It's not enabled by BES by default -- it's up to the BES admin. I have two BB's on two different BES servers and neither is required to have a password though I have opted to enable a password as I don't want others getting data off of either one if I happen to lose one or the other. I'd actually recommend having a password on any BB unless you're willing to share everything with the world.

If your BES admin has enacted an IT policy requiring the password you're pretty much stuck. You can remove it but the policy will just be pushed back to your BB and in many companies, tampering with IT policies is grounds for disciplinary action like any other corporate policies. They apparently thought it was a good idea for whatever reason. It's their property and their rules. That's precisely why I have a personal BB (well, that and you shouldn't consider anything on a company BES-connected BB as private).

No, but every forum user should read the forum FAQ's and stickies (and ideally search first, but searching's tricky if you don't have the right keywords). In this case the FAQ's are at BlackberryFAQ.com. It's just standard forum etiquette to not clog the site with questions that are asked a dozen times each day. Every forum site has the potential to be a geat resource but it's impossible to find meaningful data when everyone is ignoring the sticky about how to (for example) avoid getting sent mail via gmail as new mail on the BB just because it's easier to post the question. There's a balance to be maintained but consult the resources that a forum site makes available as odds are that your question has already been asked and answered a thousand times. Not to mention that generally a bit of work has gone into creating those resources.
very well put indeed
Old 06-14-2007, 12:59 AM   #22
RoC1909
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

@Takeshi

Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmpower View Post
If someone's totally new to a particular device (as in this case) then it is understandable if he seeks quick answers to simple questions. It's not the easiest thing to do -- to dive into a 500-page user's manual/tip guide knowing NOTHING about the phone.
I can understand the intimidation factor. My new Sony digital camera while not that expensive, is a BEAR to understand even with the manual BUT, whether it's a 1-page leaflet or a 1000-page behemoth, I take the time to read or at least skim the manual and if I STILL have questions, I hit the forums but use common sense when 'entering someone's house'. If someone isn't going to take the time to read guides / manuals OR do some 'Internet legwork' to answer the basic questions, maybe they shouldn't possess / own the item then.

[QUOTE=dkowal;565459]A couple of comments:
3) If someone asks a question and you feel that the person should've done more research, then simply DON'T answer his question and go about your business. You are NOT required to answer everyone's question.[QUOTE]

How about my 'forum experience' being degraded due to having to wade through the same questions OR questions that can be answered through means already stated by myself and others? You are not saying anything to those members breaking the 'read stickies' OR 'use the SEARCH button' rules.

I am not trying to be a A**hole, but I pretty much enjoy these forums above many of the others I inhabit and would hate to see these go the route of so many.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:33 AM   #23
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

If your manual is 1,000 pages long I can understand not wanting to read it as they're usually very dry reading material. In such cases, it's best just to tackle the sections directly relevant to what you're trying to do at that moment.

I mean, surely you don't need to understand every function all at once on a complex device... Even if you did, I doubt the info would really stick until you've used a particular feature a few times.

Last edited by takeshi; 06-14-2007 at 09:35 AM..
Old 06-14-2007, 03:52 PM   #24
Drfreeman82
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I have to admit, it was intimidating at first, figuring out the relevant sections for the 8830. After looking through the manual a few times and exploring, it feels like you almost dont need the manual. Everything on the blackberry seems to be intuitive. I just wish my 8830 had a longer lasting battery.
Closed Thread