BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #21
Arcangel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: APPLE
Carrier: AT&T white 32G iPhone 3GS

Please Login to Remove!

Will not happen untill Verizon goes LTE and even then it all depends on ATT and if the resign the exclusivity
Old 04-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #22
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

They could just call it the MacPhone.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #23
Mattywalnuts
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: Options->Status->Hmm
Carrier: Evil Empire

Apple/ATT still can't get enterprise email to work for the iPhone after nearly three years. I'll stick with the Blackberry Niagara/Tour when it eventually comes out.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #24
RedSoxFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I agree to that. Blackberry is still the best device for business. Iphone can have the non-business market.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #25
kjjb0204

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattywalnuts View Post
Apple/ATT still can't get enterprise email to work for the iPhone after nearly three years. I'll stick with the Blackberry Niagara/Tour when it eventually comes out.
Not sure that's true. Our company was all bb until about a year ago when they decided to allow users to use any smartphone of their choice. I know at least ten users that have ditched their bb and moved to the iPhone and have no issues with push email using Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. It's a little slower to deliver than a bb. I've been in the car several times with iPhone users receiving the same email message as me (like a company sales promo email) and they get them about 10-15 seconds slower than me. But, it works just fine. They also have full calendar and contact sync, like the bb, and can perform GAL, just like us.

I'm a dedicated bb user, but we can't just continue to say that bb has the undisputed advantage for email any longer and if email is what's important then you must have a bb. It's just not true any more.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #26
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Really? I have no problems getting my Exchange email on my iphone. Calendar sync works perfectly as well.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:44 AM   #27
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Do you have to turn the app on? or does it run in the background asking because I dont know. How do consumers that you are so eager to bring up get their email? Do they have a BIS type app?
Old 05-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #28
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Do you have to turn the app on? or does it run in the background asking because I dont know. How do consumers that you are so eager to bring up get their email? Do they have a BIS type app?
Mail runs in the background and you can set it to pull the mail at certain intervals or set it to push. Push uses more battery, so I don't have mine set that way. I'm not too sure how push email works with Microsoft Active Sync, but I know it doesn't use a BIS type set up. Someone else here may be better able to answer on how that works. You get full folder sync, calendar and address book sync as well.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #29
CO_BBTechie

Model: 8310

Quote:
You should do more reading on the subject if you wish to make such a definitive statement. This is simply not true.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #30
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Mail runs in the background and you can set it to pull the mail at certain intervals or set it to push. Push uses more battery, so I don't have mine set that way. I'm not too sure how push email works with Microsoft Active Sync, but I know it doesn't use a BIS type set up. Someone else here may be better able to answer on how that works. You get full folder sync, calendar and address book sync as well.
I am not sure how MicroSoft ActiveSync works with the iPhone as we are a GroupWise shop. When the iPhone hit, we had some users wanting the iPhone but it was not compatible with GroupWise until this past summer. We upgraded our NotifyLink server and purchased iPhone licenses. The device does support push (or pull) email, and wireless PIM sync with the exception of tasks (an iPhone limitation). It all runs in the background as ArgonNJ stated.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 05-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #31
CO_BBTechie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
The device does support push (or pull) email, and wireless PIM sync with the exception of tasks (an iPhone limitation).
I believe this to be due to the lack of a native task app on the iPhone.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:06 PM   #32
zero7404

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

so the apple product is coming to verizon ? let me bust out my party supplies....*not*
Old 05-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #33
jsconyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
I believe this to be due to the lack of a native task app on the iPhone.
Yep, that's exactly what it is.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #34
R&Rthemes

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A

From the reports I have heard this is going to happen this year, but I will believe it when I see it. I have a Storm and I am loving it.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #35
Mattywalnuts
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: Options->Status->Hmm
Carrier: Evil Empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
You should do more reading on the subject if you wish to make such a definitive statement. This is simply not true.
Thanks, I'll make sure I double check with the people in my office that I previously spoke to. Maybe they're experiences with using the enterprise server on their iPhone changed in the past four days.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #36
jnyost
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

I would expect it will happen. Apple would be stupid to not do it.

On the other hand, I don't see me getting it. Don't see a use for it. Love my BB too much.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #37
CO_BBTechie

Quote:
Thanks, I'll make sure I double check with the people in my office that I previously spoke to. Maybe they're experiences with using the enterprise server on their iPhone changed in the past four days.
Yes, yes... good call. Or perhaps you can simply preface your definitive statement with "AFAIK" or "From what I understand" since AFAIK there are folks who have this working just peachy
Old 05-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #38
jsconyers

I just received the following from my AT&T rep. Take it for what it's worth...

Apple happy with AT&T, indicates no plans for CDMA iPhone [blog] - AppleInsider.com
Asked Wednesday about his company's exclusive relationship with AT&T -- cited by some as a barrier to further iPhone penetration -- Apple interim chief Tim Cook responded by praising the carrier as 'the best wireless provider in the US,' explaining that its GSM foundation gels with Apple's goal of providing 'one phone for the entire world' while rival CDMA technology 'doesn't really have a life to it.' Cook reiterated that Apple chose AT&T (then named Cingular) as its exclusive partner in the US because of its support for GSM, the mobile networking standard in use worldwide by the majority of cellular phone providers. That enabled Apple to launch and sell one unit globally. The second generation iPhone 3G added support for UMTS service, the third generation mobile network standard that all GSM providers are moving toward. While many phone makers sell versions of their handsets for both GSM/UMTS worldwide and Qualcomm's rival CDMA mobile network technology operated by Sprint and Verizon Wireless in the US, doing so requires twice the development effort. For Verizon, the primary competitor to AT&T in the US, the next generation mobile network means Long Term Evolution (LTE). That future specification is sometimes referred to as 4G, but is really the next stage of 3GPP development. AT&T currently operates a 3GPP Release 5 network now being upgraded to incorporate newer improvements in the 3GPP specifications; LTE is simply a name attached to the forthcoming 3GPP Release 8. Once LTE networks are built out over the next several years, Verizon's CEO told the Wall Street Journal that an LTE version of the iPhone would make Apple "more likely" to want to work with Verizon in addition to AT&T. AT&T has already stated that it plans to upgrade its existing network incrementally, which is a much easier path toward LTE than Verizon's plans to completely replace its CDMA/EVDO network with LTE. During that time, AT&T will also be able to continue to advertise a faster mobile network, and Apple will be able to leverage global support for 3GPP mobile networks to release increasingly faster versions of the iPhone
Old 05-13-2009, 09:09 AM   #39
Attila The Hun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T,Orang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
I would expect it will happen. Apple would be stupid to not do it.

On the other hand, I don't see me getting it. Don't see a use for it. Love my BB too much.
100% agree. APPLE need to do somethink with the battery life before it can be bb.

I don't know what maybe a door so I can replace batteries as I go.
till then my iphone will stay as a toy.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #40
Mark479

Model: curve
Carrier: rogers

No way VZW does a deal with Apple. They're confident their LTE strategy will take them into the lead.
Closed Thread