Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Default [2006-01-23] RIM Provides Update on NTP Litigation

Please Login to Remove!

Waterloo, ON - The U.S. Supreme Court (“Supreme Court”) issued an order today in the patent litigation between Research In Motion Limited ("RIM") and NTP, Inc. ("NTP"). The Supreme Court denied RIM’s petition for certiorari that requested the Supreme Court to review issues concerning the extraterritorial reach of U.S. patent law. While review by the Supreme Court is generally uncommon, RIM sought review because it believes the case raises significant national and international issues. Today’s order has no bearing on the merits of the outstanding issues in the case before the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (“District Court”).

The District Court will set a hearing date at a later time for further proceedings in the case based on the remand from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (“Federal Circuit”). The Federal Circuit decision of August 2, 2005 vacated the injunction and damages award originally entered as a result of the District Court trial in 2002 and remanded the case to the District Court for further proceedings. The Federal Circuit decision also reversed or vacated the infringement finding on 9 of the 16 litigated patent claims.

During the upcoming proceedings, the District Court will be asked to decide a variety of matters relating to the litigation, including the impact of the Federal Circuit’s reversal of infringement findings on issues of liability and damages. In its briefings, NTP has asked the District Court to enter a new injunction prohibiting RIM from providing BlackBerry service and from using, selling, manufacturing or importing its handhelds and software in the United States. The District Court will schedule a hearing prior to deciding each of these matters. RIM maintains that an injunction is inappropriate given the specific facts of this case, including:

• the outright rejection of all NTP patent claims in rigorous Office Actions* already issued by the Patent Office, including second Office Actions in three of the four remaining patents in the litigation that sustained rejections after taking into account NTP’s arguments seeking to overturn them;

• the ability to fully compensate NTP through ongoing royalty payments in lieu of an injunction;

• the Supreme Court’s November 28 decision to hear the appeal in the case of MercExchange v. eBay on questions relating to the propriety of injunctions in patent litigation;

• the lack of any practical mechanism to prevent an injunction from having an unintended effect on users in the public and private sectors who would be, or who the District Court determines should be, exempt; and

• public interest concerns relating to any potential suspension or interruption of BlackBerry service in the United States.

RIM believes these factors should hold significant weight in any decisions relating to an injunction, however it will ultimately be up to the courts to decide these matters and there can never be an assurance of a favorable outcome in any litigation.

It is also anticipated that the reexamination of NTP's patents by the United States Patent and Trademark Office will continue with special dispatch. All of the NTP patent claims have now been rejected by the Patent Office in its initial rulings in reexamination proceedings, based in part on prior art not considered in the District Court trial in 2002.

As a contingency, RIM has also been preparing software workaround designs which it intends to implement if necessary to maintain the operation of BlackBerry services in the United States.

* The rejections of NTP patents in the initial and second Office Actions issued by the Patent Office were based in part on prior art not considered in the District Court trial in 2002 and were derived through a recently improved Patent Office process whereby reexamination decisions now require thorough review and unanimous agreement from a panel of supervisors and senior patent examiners (see press release titled “USPTO IMPROVES PROCESS FOR REVIEWING PATENTS” at http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com...hes/05-38.htm).
Old 01-24-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Somewhere in the background I hear the classic song "Don't Worry, Be Happy" playing...
Old 01-24-2006, 09:53 AM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Now if every single person in my department and various others in this company would hear the same music... the emails, hallway discussions (with an uninformed mail guy, no less), the IMs, the phone calls... ugh!
Old 01-24-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Oh, come on, it's so much fun to see the look on the uninformed users face when you tell them they have 27 minutes until their Blackberry will self destruct.....
Old 01-24-2006, 09:56 AM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Stunningly I have no gotten one e-mail, SMS or IM about this!
I did preempt a lot of noise by sending a note out to our CIO...
Old 01-24-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I've received several calls and emails on it (not bad considering we have 350+ users worldwide). When I tell them I'm not worried about it (being the BES admin), they relax. Funny enough, the top brass hasn't asked at all. I'm pretty sure they make themselves as informed as possible so don't panic at headlines screaming "Blackberry maker may be forced to shut down". The media is hyping it all just to sell papers....and panic the anxiety- ridden user.

EDIT: DOH! I *just* received an email from an anxiety-ridden user - "Rumor has it Blackberry eMail may go away. What do you think?". It's going to be a long day....

On a more serious note, has anyone sent an email to all of their BB users to bring them up to date, or do you think it's better to not say anything (to avoid panic in people who've been living in a cave) and address questions as they come up?

Last edited by juwaack68; 01-24-2006 at 10:26 AM..
Old 01-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #7
shawn86mr2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520

Why doesnt Tmobile get sued for their email service. I used tmobile SIDEKICK and they basically have the same setup.
is it Blackberry is bigger so they go after the company with the most money?
Old 01-24-2006, 04:55 PM   #8
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107
Default Tmobile & Sidekick Email

Well the Sidekick branded email service is the exact same as the Hiptop email service as West Mobile in the USA & Tmobile in Germany & Fido here in Canada. This means its NOT Tmobile's email service - just the Sidekick branding is theirs - its actually Danger, Inc.'s service. This is the designer of all Sidekick/Hiptop devices & the host of their email service; which is incredibly similar.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:00 PM   #9
shawn86mr2

yeah i know about that part of it.. But if im understanding the "problem" ntp is the way the email is handled? with the email constantly delivered "live" to the BB's . the danger email service does the same thing. same idea . so why hasnt NTP gone after danger's way of emailing service.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:01 PM   #10
shawn86mr2

i know this the email for tmobile is blahblah.sidekick.dngr.com and suncom is blahblah.hiptop.dngr.com
Old 01-25-2006, 12:22 AM   #11
udontknowjack
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

I don't think they work the same. RIM truly "pushes" the email to the device. The others pull or do a push/pull of some sort. If RIM was push/pull, I don't think it would violate the patents in question. However, it would be going backwards in RIMs eyes because their big selling point is "true push email" Hint on work around!!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 09:03 AM   #12
shawn86mr2

I had the sidekickII and I know what your saying but Honestly the sidekick was like 1 to 2 seconds slower. I sat ehre and emailed both devices from my desktop.
Closed Thread