Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
jwcanada
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint
Cool Sprint 8703e with slow response and battery draining fast

Please Login to Remove!

I was curious if anyone else was experiencing this issue in their environment. We have a few users that have an 8703e from Sprint that is experiencing a large amount of abnormal transmission (arrows back and forth in upper right hand side of screen) which in turn is making the device chunk and have slow response. This is also making the battery drain in just a few hours (and the users are not heavy voice and data users) when other users are getting anywhere from a 1 day to 1 and a half days of battery life. I was working with RIM and Sprint on this issue and then Sprint thought they had a resolution...they released a new handheld software version (4.1.0.384) that appeared to address the issues we were having. It seemed to be a fix for some of our users but not a specific user. We then replaced her 8703 with a brand new 8703 with the new handheld software. The problem started back up again. So we had suspicions that it could be the GPS that was making an abnormal amount of transmission activity...the only thing is alot of our other users have the GPS turned on and are not having his issue.

Few questions...one has anyone else experienced this type of issue with this type of device and 2 has anyone found out the root cause? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
AnthroMatt
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: 268B3F92
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcanada View Post
I was curious if anyone else was experiencing this issue in their environment. We have a few users that have an 8703e from Sprint that is experiencing a large amount of abnormal transmission (arrows back and forth in upper right hand side of screen) which in turn is making the device chunk and have slow response. This is also making the battery drain in just a few hours (and the users are not heavy voice and data users) when other users are getting anywhere from a 1 day to 1 and a half days of battery life. I was working with RIM and Sprint on this issue and then Sprint thought they had a resolution...they released a new handheld software version (4.1.0.384) that appeared to address the issues we were having. It seemed to be a fix for some of our users but not a specific user. We then replaced her 8703 with a brand new 8703 with the new handheld software. The problem started back up again. So we had suspicions that it could be the GPS that was making an abnormal amount of transmission activity...the only thing is alot of our other users have the GPS turned on and are not having his issue.

Few questions...one has anyone else experienced this type of issue with this type of device and 2 has anyone found out the root cause? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Is the constant data transmission happening everywhere, or just in specific locations? If the problem BB is often in a very weak signal area, you will experience this problem. It could also be that some aspect of provisioning/activation on the handheld didn't properly complete, and the device keeps trying to finish.

Has Sprint tried to remove all data features from the account and then re-adding them, while you perform a wipe on the device?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
jwcanada
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthroMatt View Post
Is the constant data transmission happening everywhere, or just in specific locations? If the problem BB is often in a very weak signal area, you will experience this problem. It could also be that some aspect of provisioning/activation on the handheld didn't properly complete, and the device keeps trying to finish.

Has Sprint tried to remove all data features from the account and then re-adding them, while you perform a wipe on the device?
The transmission happens everywhere...we are in STL so strong signal. We had Sprint "refresh" all the data services on the device and then wiped device (on the first device) and that didn't help. The brand new device that we purchased was a fresh device that they put fresh services on and it seems to have the same issue. The theory that you have is a very good one though but it would surprise me with 2 different devices and new services on the 2nd one that the same issue would occur. Any other ideas?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
AnthroMatt
CrackBerry Addict

I have no other ideas, sorry. I just based my comments from my experiences in getting my device up and running. I would think it has to be something in the way her account is set up, be it on Sprint's side or the BES side (I am assuming you are on a BES). If two different devices exhibit the same problem, the problem is not likely with the devices (as you note), but with something in the account.

Sorry I have no further insight....
Old 07-02-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
PCW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Question

Do you have an application still running, like Google Maps, etc.?

Just a thought...
Old 07-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
jwcanada
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCW View Post
Do you have an application still running, like Google Maps, etc.?

Just a thought...
She has no additional apps from what comes standard on the handheld software load. It does come with BB Maps which uses the GPS chip but she has never used the app before. And to answer AnthroMatt...yes we are on a BES and I am the admin for the server as well as handheld and 3rd party apps. I am at a loss as it appears turning the GPS off has eliminated the issue (at least for the past few days) but it doesn't make sense if we have others with the GPS turned on with the same exact device and the same exact handheld version and on the same BES. Confused...
Old 07-02-2007, 03:06 PM   #7
AnthroMatt
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted (7130e: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Not a bad suggestion. Something like JiveTalk could also be a culprit.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:53 AM   #8
mufugger

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A

i have the exact same problem. my 8703e is very slow opening programs, and browsing in general. i see the hourglass a lot.

also, the battery is draining really, really quickly. it usually lasts less than a day...whereas it used to last 3-4 days.

gps is off, any other ideas?

thanks-
Old 08-29-2007, 06:35 AM   #9
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

Did you do the battery pull reset? I do that once in a while and it makes a bbig difference in performance.
Closed Thread