Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Ryan View Post
(such as here in Blacksburg,VA)
[threadcrap] You really should be spending your time getting ready for September 5th in Atlanta.

[/threadcrap]
Old 07-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #62
Fat Ryan
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothRunnings View Post
Nice try..

GSM/GPRS/EDGE on the 850 and 1900 MHz bands (Also known as 2G GSM, or 2.5G in the case of EDGE)
UMTS/HSPA on the 850 MHz band (Also known as 3G GSM)

You need to do a better job a learning your technology. :0)

All 3G device operate at 850Mhz while in 3G mode. And currently my Bold is set to operated in both 3G and 2G so it's possible that my phone does work the same way in 2G mode using 1900MHz.

Rogers use to be called Rogers AT&T Wireless before Ted Rogers had the name was changed to Rogers Wireless (not sure if Mr. Ted bought AT&T's ownership or if AT&T decided to have their name removed, or if there was some government and or legal thing that required AT&T to remove their name) . It's very likely the two network still operate the same way with the exception that Rogers has poured billions into their network to compete with Bell Canada who use to have the largest wireless network across Canada.

There is no problem with BOLD phones on the Rogers network, even our CEO who has a BOLD running the old Rogers firmware (.168 I think) doesn't have problems with his phone dropping calls...

The other possibility could be is that you have bad ion. (laugh) There are people in this world where technology and them don't get along and somehow the managed to wrech technology without dropping or kicking it. My Ex use to stop clocks when she was upset, even stopping the electric clock on the stove... So maybe that's the case here with you? :D

Andrew
i went to AT&T's and Roger's website, thats where I got the numbers. if i made a mistake, i stand corrected. but that still doesnt change the fact that despite AT&T and Rogers being related, theyre still 2 different networks. nor would a mistake in the frequencies have any bearing on the fact that other 3G phones dont have the same issue as the Bold. thats really the bottom line.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #63
Fat Ryan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
[threadcrap] You really should be spending your time getting ready for September 5th in Atlanta.
http://www.southernappeal.org/wp-con.../300_21115.gif

[/threadcrap]
hell, i wish i could go. my friend is goin and im jealous :/
Old 07-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #64
xplode
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothRunnings View Post
Reminds of me what Rogers did many years ago when Bell had setup their CDMA network across Canada. Without a doubt Bell's network was better than Rogers at one time but Mr Ted Rogers decided to spend billions each year in upgrading the Rogers network; yes there was a time too when you were out in the rural areas that Rogers customers wouldn't get a single while Bell customers did but that was like 15 years ago or so, not both network are pretty much the same when it comes to coverage even in the rural areas that both claim they have the largest network across Canada now. :o)

It seems to me after reading your post that AT&T is far behind the times and needs to improve their network and do what Ted Rogers did and spend billions each year to install new towers and repeaters in areas that are suffering otherwise they it will get so bad that no one will want to come visit their friends, family and or relatives anymore because they can't get any phone service! :o)

Andrew
I never travel to rural areas so for me the fact they dont cover it is a moot point. Everywhere i travel i have excellent 3G from at&t. Dont forget though.. Theres alot more money to be made in a big city market than in a small rural area of 10,000... thats why rural often gets the shaft.. But i do agree that with VZW pushing up LTE and fast tracking it.. at&t its time to drown VZ.. because we all know you have twice the ability and assets to do so!
Old 07-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #65
xplode

Quote:
i went to AT&T's and Roger's website, thats where I got the numbers. if i made a mistake, i stand corrected. but that still doesnt change the fact that despite AT&T and Rogers being related, theyre still 2 different networks. nor would a mistake in the frequencies have any bearing on the fact that other 3G phones dont have the same issue as the Bold. thats really the bottom line.
They are two different networks correct. Just use the same technology. Just like VZW and sprint are 2 different networks but share CDMA technology
Old 07-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #66
Fat Ryan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplode View Post
They are two different networks correct. Just use the same technology. Just like VZW and sprint are 2 different networks but share CDMA technology
yeah, but not EVERYTHING is the same, ya know? i mean, theres just so many variables in the equation...software, harware, towers, materials, external interference. yes UMTS is UMTS, but theres definitely still a number of things that can interfere with the signal strength or range.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #67
xplode

Quote:
yeah, but not EVERYTHING is the same, ya know? i mean, theres just so many variables in the equation...software, harware, towers, materials, external interference. yes UMTS is UMTS, but theres definitely still a number of things that can interfere with the signal strength or range.
You are correct. at&t may not use Exactly the same make/brand of hardware on our network as rogers would use on theirs.. Just same standard. IT just seems your in a really shitty coverage spot to be honest man... getting thrown from tower to tower. Unless of course they happen to be adding a tower in your area but its not fully online giving the 3G edge, 3G edge repeat process... that could also be a possibility

Last edited by xplode; 07-30-2009 at 11:01 AM..
Old 07-31-2009, 12:52 PM   #68
Fat Ryan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
You are correct. at&t may not use Exactly the same make/brand of hardware on our network as rogers would use on theirs.. Just same standard. IT just seems your in a really shitty coverage spot to be honest man... getting thrown from tower to tower. Unless of course they happen to be adding a tower in your area but its not fully online giving the 3G edge, 3G edge repeat process... that could also be a possibility
well like i was saying before, if that were the case, then this issue should happen with any 3G phone....it doesnt. what would make the Bold jump around and not other phones? it has to be either hardware or software. its just so clear to me that its the Bold lol. my store manager and i both have Bolds and both have the same issues. i know a few other people in local stores who also have the same issues. and then when i talk to friends, coworkers, or people in other local stores that have different 3G devices (ranging from Fuze, 3G iPhone, Epix, Eternity, Impression, plus many others) they have no issues like this. ive yet to hear anyone i know complain about constant dropped calls unless they have the Bold.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:54 PM   #69
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

You just brought up another important issue - 5mb free memory? That's way under any known acceptable minimums.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:57 PM   #70
Fat Ryan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
You just brought up another important issue - 5mb free memory? That's way under any known acceptable minimums.
yeah, but will that affect signal? i dont see how it could but correct me if im wrong.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:06 PM   #71
xplode

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
While the app memory may only be at about 5mb free... this is an unlikely cause for the devices radio to turn off... (although i would recommend you try to stay above 20) Because according to his PM and the problem he mentioned.. It could be many things causing this issue

Last edited by xplode; 07-31-2009 at 01:07 PM..
Old 07-31-2009, 01:15 PM   #72
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Fat Ryan, how about at this point we keep your issues in the ONE thread you've created.

Good deal.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:12 PM   #73
lxj

Wirelessly posted

Hand-off issues can absolutely cause dropped calls
Old 07-31-2009, 11:24 PM   #74
JCH01

Model: Q10
Carrier: ATT 10.2.1.1259

ATT uses 850 and 1900 for 3G/UMTS/WCDMA where they have bandwidth.
Understand the differences and you will understand the dropped call problems. GSM/2G the channels are 200kHz wide and use TDMA/FDMA for the signal, think of it this way: there are 8 timeslots per transmitter and each person takes turns (Time) talking. The broadcast channel (BCCH) is the signal you see when you are not talking and it is full strenth. Once you set up a call you are on Traffic channels (TCCH) and they hop from frequency to frequency (channels) to prevent co-channel with other sites in the area and they very in power to minimize co-channel interference. Being narrow the signal to noise is less of an issue and with TDM modulation than CDMA.
Now enter UMTS/3G WCDMA, this is a 5mHz channel or 25x wider than a GSM carrier. This is the reason not all areas use both 850 and 1900 as they may not have the bandwidth to run both technologies at the same time. UMTS is Wide Carrier Division Multiplex Access with means that while GSM is using separate channels on each cell site, UMTS uses the same channel for all the sites in the area and uses codes to seperate the sites and calls. Compare GSM with 8 people taking turns talking in a small room (200kHz) and UMTS with 100's of people taking at the same time is a BIG room (5mHz) and the people are speaking different languages. Now try and listen for YOUR information and you see what is happening to UMTS, RF saturation. The users handset raises its power to be heard, the base station raises it's power for the users to hear and you hear Call Failed!, It will take time to sort out UMTS and the cell sites but one thing that is now know is MANY of the antennas and sites will need to be upgraded, changed, moved, build to improve the problem. UMTS is NOT a matter of signal strenth on your phone but signal to noise ratio. The should explain why at times when there are not many users your calls work, when traffic picks up the noise goes up and the "footprint" of the cell site decreases. Part of UMTS technology is that the cabinet (cell site) is automatically capable of changing the electrical tilt of its antennas to control the noise floor by controling the size of the footprint.
Now about the Bold, is it worse than other phone? maybe, does my $$$$.$$ Test phone drop calls? Yes. ATT is well aware of the issues and are working to correct the problems. The bad news is it will not happen overnight and the next technology Lte will be even worse as everyone testing it is finding out (even wider bandwith)
I hope some of this helps.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:19 AM   #75
miamirulz29
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

I use AT&T and ever since I bought it, in april 2009 i believe, I have never had a dropped call, even with 4.6.0.167. I live in Miami and there is perfect coverage. Even in most other parts of Florida there is perfect coverage.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #76
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

What I have experienced with .282 tho is you set the phone to 2G only then there are fewer handoffs and fewer dropped calls.

Quote:
for the FINAL time... THIS PROBLEM IS NOT A SOFTWARE RELATED PROBLEM... at&t will be releasing .285 soon as soon as it comes out of testing. currently 282 is the latest release.. but it will not have any affect on these problems that people are describing.. Call att people get a sim card replacement or see if towers in the area are being worked on. Lets not blame the entire network or a phone and software because of a bad sim card, or a tower that is having issues.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #77
xplode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
What I have experienced with .282 tho is you set the phone to 2G only then there are fewer handoffs and fewer dropped calls.
that is because your no longer being thrown around by the tower.. the swapping between 3G and EDGE in a mediocre signal area is done by the tower/sim. The phone software just prevents you from locking onto "3G" all together. But what he stated to me in PM is that his phone would drop from 3G to Edge and then go to "SOS" and he would have to manually disconnect from the network and re connect.. This is not likely a software issue is what i mean.

Last edited by xplode; 08-01-2009 at 09:31 AM..
Old 08-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #78
phayes72

Model: 9700

I'm using .282 and it is working perfectly in the Detroit Metro area. If you are having consistent network issues, pick the phone and call AT&T. It could be a hardware issue at one of the towers. Sometimes they may not be aware of an issue. I have friends that live near the airport and can barely get an EDGE signal, but I get full 3G signal strength in the same area. There are other areas where I sometimes have to put it in 2G mode.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that AT&T is in the process of migrating the network to 3G in more and more areas. They can't just turn off 2G and screw everyone else. At least in Michigan, AT&T is far better than Verizon and Sprint. Their plan pricing could be better, but that's a discussion for another thread.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #79
xplode

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayes72 View Post
I'm using .282 and it is working perfectly in the Detroit Metro area. If you are having consistent network issues, pick the phone and call AT&T. It could be a hardware issue at one of the towers. Sometimes they may not be aware of an issue. I have friends that live near the airport and can barely get an EDGE signal, but I get full 3G signal strength in the same area. There are other areas where I sometimes have to put it in 2G mode.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that AT&T is in the process of migrating the network to 3G in more and more areas. They can't just turn off 2G and screw everyone else. At least in Michigan, AT&T is far better than Verizon and Sprint. Their plan pricing could be better, but that's a discussion for another thread.
at&t is EXCELLENT im many parts of MI. ..
Old 08-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #80
raven71
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: BOLD
PIN: 249F7DCD

Wirelessly posted (BOLD)

Yep I can't believe the amount of dropped calls. I didn't have it with my Curve. But like ATT told me about theor crappy browser and word wrap. Don't like it buy an I phone.