Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
FuzzMonkey

Model: 7100I
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint/nextel
Default multiple devices/users to a single exchange mailbox

Please Login to Remove!

I have searched the site and dont appear to be finding what I am looking for. I hope I am posting this in the right section....if not please let me know.
I am new to blackberry and i have recently installed BES Version 4.1.4.15. We are an M$ Exchange 2003 environment and our users use Blackberry 7100i phones.
At this point i have set up a couple of "normal users" and they sync thier blackberry devices to the exchange server with no issues to report so I think everything is weorking well
Here is my issue/problem/question:
I have serveral users that do not need access to their personal exchange mailboxes but do need access to a single "monitoring" mailbox. This mailbox is a "alert" or helpdesk mailbox used by our ticket tracking software. Each of these users has access to the "helpdesk" mailbox and all can view/modify it within thier outlook. Also, I have been cheating by copying mail to this helpdesk account then forwarding it to an external imap account that each user has set their blackberrys up to sync with. it has been working fine but we want them to all use the BES now and not the external acct as there is a delay.
How can I set multiple devices to sync to a single mailbox? i have tried and the first device works great...but then each additional device syncs and "takes over" the mailbox association and then the first device no longer has the email sync functionality. Also, I noticed that the ringer options and settings fromt he first syncd device wrote to the second device...yikes
I cant imaging that we are the only people that want multiple users to sync with a single mailbox.....
i apologize if i have not been clear.....please ask if you need any additional information or clarification.
Thanks in advance for your time, advice and support....it is appreciated.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
FuzzMonkey

bump
anyone have any ideas that may help out???
thanks in advance
Old 01-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

You can't have multiple devices on one mailbox. The reason being is that when you add a device to a BES and activate it creates a folder in the mialbox to contain BB info, like PIN/SRP/BES Name/etc. Each time you activate a new device it overwrites the current info in the folder.

The fiolder is a hidden folder and you cannot make any changes to it to use more than one device.

The ringer options are backed up to the BES and are part of the amilbox seeing that you are not removing the old device the folder just gets the updated PIN and BES info. When you remove a user from the BES the folder gets deleted. That folder provides core funtionality and should not be tampered with.

Programs like Outlook Spy or MFCMAPI can be used to view the folder but it's not easily readable. RIM posted an article on using MFCMAPI to pinpoint an activation issue with a users mailbox, if you want to see the folder, but don't go changing things. You might inadvertaintly ruin the mialbox.

This is how it works for Exchange, but all mail platforms can only have 1 device per mailbox. That's how it's designed.

The only thing you can do is have 1 device on BES and the rest on BIS, but I'm not sure how well a BIS account works with multiple hh's accessing it. It might not work that way either.

Hope that helps to clarify why it doesn't work.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

could you set up a rule in exchange to auto forward incoming emails to two other emails? ie, someone sends an email to [email address] and when the mail arrives in the mailbox it auto forwards to [email address] and [email address]? I suppose the issue then would be when you reply to an email it would show the forwarded email addresses.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

You can only reply from the address that the BB is activated too, but that would work as well to forward the mail to other mailboxes setup only for that purpose. It does techincally double/triple the email but it would be the best solution.

Good idea Sith, gotta love this site. What one doesn't know or forgets someone else does know.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

We use Outlook Server rules to send an email to multiple people but unless you can log into Outlook you cannot control the mail box. Group mail boxes are designed to allow many people to access and control the mail in one box. The Blackberry is designed to sync to a single mail box via the BB BES server. Unless Rim allows multiple BBxxx8217;s to reverse control the box you are out of luck .
One method that may work is to use a Web type screen for the multiple user access to the trouble log listing. Not sure how secure your company network is but if they allow internal WEB access it may be possible
Old 01-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
FuzzMonkey

excellent information
thank you all very much. I am a little bummed that we will not be able to sync multiple devices to one mailbox....but so be it.

I have already been working on different rule sets on exchange to copy emails into another mailbox (like what Sith posted)....and although not ideal, it seems to work well for us. It will work well especially since our "helpdesk" personnel don't really need to reply to the emails just see them so they know what to go work on.

Again, I appreciate everyone's replies and insight.....it has been very helpful,
thanks!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #8
frank.coloccia

Model: 8320
Carrier: at&t
Default use a syncing program

to sync the mailboxes. sync2 should do the trick.

frank
Closed Thread