BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default BB Link Sync Issues: Continuing - Suggestions?

Please Login to Remove!

Greetings.

Let me begin by saying that I have been diligently working on this problem for quite a while, doing all I can to try to resolve my issue of failure in having BB Link sync my Outlook contacts and calendar to my Z10, including the following:

- Updating my Z10's OS to the very latest software
- Uninstalling BB Link and reinstalling the latest version of Link
- Re-configuring BB Link's contact and calendar setting several times
- Removing my Z10 device from BB Link and re-associating it several times

BTW: Computer is Windows 7 OS 64-bit
BTW #2: I am, indeed, using direct connection to computer via USB cable

As of this moment, after attempting a sync with BB Link (resulting in a rather lengthy wait), I most often get a "sync unsuccessful" message after the attempted sync process is finished. Sometimes I DO get a "sync successful" message, BUT even when that confirmation appears, I still discover that the process simply does NOT sync my Outlook contacts to the device. The contact information on the Z10 that has been on the device is still there and still intact, but absolutely no changes to current contacts and additions of new contacts is made. There is no transfer of updated contact data from my Outlook contacts to my Z10.

I realize that BB Link is known to be far less than perfect, but this issue is just beyond comprehension. With my previous BB devices, BB Desktop Software performed flawlessly, and at lightning speed. For the supposed advancements in technology, BB OS10 and BB Link appear to be unfathomable steps backward! What used to take a minute or so with BB Desktop Software is now taking 10 to 15 minutes, and even so, is rarely successful. I just can't imagine why this is so, and why RIM has apparently been unable to make this work correctly. I don't care about syncing photos, music, whatever (though I'm glad the device has those features) nearly as much as I care about syncing contacts and calendar data. I use by BB Z10 as a "business tool", and the most important feature I need on my Z10 is a timely and accurate update of my Outlook calendar and contacts. I really like most everything about the Z10, but proper syncing of my Outlook calendar and contacts is ESSENTIAL for the conduct of my business...and that's the one thing the Z10 and BB Link does NOT appear to be able to do!

I've search the forums, searched the BB website support area, tried all sorts of revisions and fixes, etc. I'm baffled, confused, frustrated. I don't know what else to do. I'm giving this device, the OS, and BB Link every chance I can to "come through," but I fear I'm going to reach a point where I just toss the thing (just a little over a month old) and reluctantly and regrettably abandon BB, of which I've been a strong supporter for many years. I really WANT to see BB rebuild and be successful, but if a 10-year+ 100% loyal BB user like me has reached this point, then I can only imagine why people who have been far less enthusiastic than me have abandoned RIM and moved on to other devices.

I have seen some other methods of syncing mentioned elsewhere, including syncing via cloud storage and the like. Can anyone point me to how I might set up something like that? It seems silly to have to resort to that when BB Link should do it, but if that's where I must go, perhaps I will.

If anyone can offer advice, including pointing me to on-line support threads and such, I would very much appreciate it!

THANKS!

Coatesville, Pennsylvania USA
(Suburban Philadelphia)
Old 03-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default FollowUp To.... BB Link Sync Issues: Continuing - Suggestions?

Curious to learn about the following as I try to resolve my sync issue:

When clicking on the "configure" link next to "Contacts" and "Calendar" on the window for syncing, another window opens that presents options that include...

Sync Directions

Conflict Resolution

Folders to Sync

Next the the "Folders to Sync" there is a space which at the moment contains the word "Contacts," but that words is sort of "grayed-out." There is an "X" to the right of that bar, along with a folder with a "+" sign. When clicking on the "X", nothing happens (nothing closes or deletes or is removed. When clicking on the icon with the "+" sign, and window opens that's entitled "Select the folder you want to sync." That window displays three folders:

bobbrayner1 @ cs.com (one of my e-mail addresses)

Personal Folders

Archive Folders

Each of those folders has an arrow which will open them to a drop-down display of its subfolder contents. Only the "Personal Folders" folder contains a sub-folder named "Contacts." I am assuming this folder is the "contacts" folder from Outlook.

So.....

Can anyone tell me from their own experience what I should be seeing and doing when I "configure" my calendar and contacts for syncing?

Baffling.

Thanks!

(Suburban Philadelphia)
Old 03-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
tsac
BlackBerry God

PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: BB Link Sync Issues: Continuing - Suggestions?

Read this link and it may offer some help. Also when at this link use the second link to search addional issues.

KB35456-BlackBerry Link fails to sync contacts to the BlackBerry 10 smartphone with error "Failed to commit changes to device."

BlackBerry Knowledge Base
Old 03-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Read this link and it may offer some help. Also when at this link use the second link to search addional issues.

KB35456-BlackBerry Link fails to sync contacts to the BlackBerry 10 smartphone with error "Failed to commit changes to device."

BlackBerry Knowledge Base
Thanks for your kind and quick response. I have visited the first link, which humorously acknowledges the issue and states that BB has no fix as of yet, but are working on it. It suggests to attempt a sync of one or the other (contacts or calendar) but not both simultaneously, but I've tried that many times to no avail. I will check the second Knowledge Base link and see what I can find.

I just want to be able to do with my Z10 what was a breeze to do with the four different BBs I've had in the past then years...sync my contacts and calendar! Ugh!

(Suburban Philadelphia)
Old 03-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

The focus of BB10 is on cloud connectivity, not local wired sync. BB Link has been problematic from day 1 and has improved only marginally. Syncing to a cloud service like Outlook.com or Gmail is your best bet to get the syncing you want. The old way is just not a priority anymore.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Another Question....

Additional observation I'd like to share that also prompts another question:

When configuring the sync options for Contacts and Calendar, each opens a window where options can be entered (such as the direction of the syncing and the options of what folders to sync). Each offers this option:

Set Up Contact Syncing

Set Up Calendar Syncing

In each choice, note that I have no options as to which folders to sync! The boxes into which the choices of folders to sync appear are already populated with the words "Contacts" or "Calendar," and the entries are sort of grayed-out. Is this a default entry when BB Link is installed, or is that something I can change? I truly believe that my syncing via USB isn't working because BB Link is not accessing the proper folders containing the desired data for each parameter.

Also note: For several weeks, syncing via USB Connection with BB Link WAS WORKING! It simply has stopped as far as Contacts are concerned. Calendar syncing via this method appears to be working correctly.

Thanks again for your reading and sharing of advice.

(Suburban Philadelphia)
Old 03-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
tsac
BlackBerry God

PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

If it all worked before I would check to see if it is possible you have some type of corruption. Copy the contacts to a backup file and with only one or two new contacts see if it works.
Make sure your clean the contacts file, reboot and check to see there are none listed then add a couple.

If this works then it may be a contact ( one or more) that are corrupt or unreadable.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
The focus of BB10 is on cloud connectivity, not local wired sync. BB Link has been problematic from day 1 and has improved only marginally. Syncing to a cloud service like Outlook.com or Gmail is your best bet to get the syncing you want. The old way is just not a priority anymore.
Thanks for your input. The "old way" may not be a priority, but I am of the opinion that anyone who trusts a cloud service is just plain foolish for two reasons: 1) Storing data in a cloud assumes that one will always have access to it, and 2) having access or not, no "cloud" can ever be 100% relied upon not to fail. That's why I backup so much stuff to HDDs and CDs. That may be an old-fashioned stance, but there's no doubt about reliability and permanence vs. some nebulous "cloud" out there somewhere. I trust "the cloud" about as much as I trust the Internal Revenue Service.

Perhaps I'm just being too hard-assed in my insistence for syncing via USB using BB Link, but... I travel a great deal and I sometimes find myself in areas where I have no connectivity to either the internet or a mobile network, yet in those circumstances, I still have the need to be able to sync new information to my BB. Furthermore, the capability to sync Outlook contacts and calendar using USB/BB Link has been developed, so if the effort was made to add that capability to BB Link, should it not work properly anyway? I'm not being argumentative here, just logical. Why bother to develop a capability and then have it not work properly? Just doesn't make sense (though real-world experience suggests otherwise...LOL!). The notion of "well, it really hasn't worked properly from the start, so just forget about it and use something else" just doesn't sit well with me. It is supposed to work, so work it should, if you get my drift! It's with that attitude that I will continue to find a fix.

Everyone's input and advice has been very much appreciated thus far.

(Suburban Philadelphia)
Old 03-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #9
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
If it all worked before I would check to see if it is possible you have some type of corruption. Copy the contacts to a backup file and with only one or two new contacts see if it works.
Make sure your clean the contacts file, reboot and check to see there are none listed then add a couple.

If this works then it may be a contact ( one or more) that are corrupt or unreadable.
Ah! I hadn't thought of investigating that angle. Will do! THANKS for the suggestion.

(Suburban Philadelphia)
Old 03-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb View Post
Thanks for your input. The "old way" may not be a priority, but I am of the opinion that anyone who trusts a cloud service is just plain foolish for two reasons: 1) Storing data in a cloud assumes that one will always have access to it, and 2) having access or not, no "cloud" can ever be 100% relied upon not to fail. That's why I backup so much stuff to HDDs and CDs. That may be an old-fashioned stance, but there's no doubt about reliability and permanence vs. some nebulous "cloud" out there somewhere. I trust "the cloud" about as much as I trust the Internal Revenue Service.

Perhaps I'm just being too hard-assed in my insistence for syncing via USB using BB Link, but... I travel a great deal and I sometimes find myself in areas where I have no connectivity to either the internet or a mobile network, yet in those circumstances, I still have the need to be able to sync new information to my BB. Furthermore, the capability to sync Outlook contacts and calendar using USB/BB Link has been developed, so if the effort was made to add that capability to BB Link, should it not work properly anyway? I'm not being argumentative here, just logical. Why bother to develop a capability and then have it not work properly? Just doesn't make sense (though real-world experience suggests otherwise...LOL!). The notion of "well, it really hasn't worked properly from the start, so just forget about it and use something else" just doesn't sit well with me. It is supposed to work, so work it should, if you get my drift! It's with that attitude that I will continue to find a fix.

Everyone's input and advice has been very much appreciated thus far.
I agree that there are pitfalls in using cloud-based services, many of which we won't even see until things go horribly wrong. And they always do go horribly wrong at some point. I'm a big believer in "keeping it local". I find it ironic that BlackBerry, famous for their security, has moved in such an insecure direction. Chalk it up to their ill-fated move headlong into the consumer space, chasing the pipe dream of competing with Apple and Samsung for Joe Consumer. BlackBerry lost sight of their original purpose. Hey, I understand the temptation to go in that direction, especially when they have been losing customers and the company has gone into panic mode. And I honestly have no idea if re-focusing on enterprise/business customers back when they went for the regular and first-time consumers would have been a success.

Anywho, BlackBerry definitely dropped the ball with local sync. Back in the day it worked beautifully. Now it looks almost like an afterthought. As a Mac user I'm kind of used to getting ignored. Workarounds were my life and the Mac/BB developer community was almost non-existent. Now with BB10, however, with each new version of the OS we seem to be making some progress. I hate to say "wait for 10.3" but at this point I think we have to pin our hopes on these continuing incremental improvements and bide our time. A lot of us have exhausted out patience and good will, but we're going to have to wait a little bit longer I'm afraid.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #11
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Anywho, BlackBerry definitely dropped the ball with local sync. Back in the day it worked beautifully. Now it looks almost like an afterthought. As a Mac user I'm kind of used to getting ignored. Workarounds were my life and the Mac/BB developer community was almost non-existent. Now with BB10, however, with each new version of the OS we seem to be making some progress. I hate to say "wait for 10.3" but at this point I think we have to pin our hopes on these continuing incremental improvements and bide our time. A lot of us have exhausted out patience and good will, but we're going to have to wait a little bit longer I'm afraid.
Very astute comments! Those of us who "march to the beat of a different drummer" are certainly fraught with challenges such as yours of being a Mac user and being accustomed to being ignored and having to reluctantly employ "workarounds." You and I both share a common belief in "local control." I agree that people like ourselves just have to bide our time if we wish to continue on our chosen paths. As I mentioned, I will continue to exercise patience, for how long, I can't say, but patient I will be. Thanks for sharing your insight.

(Suburban Philadelphia)
Closed Thread