Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
philiprbuttall

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Sync Contacts between BB and PC

Please Login to Remove!

In a previous post, but not specific to the 9780, which is the first BB I've had, I asked about the possibility of being able to synch my new BB Contacts to my PC, but not using Outlook (which is my main email/contact programme) because I don't want my phone to gain all the extra contacts should I synch back from my BB.

Two suggestions were kindly given - one was to use Outlook Express purely for this only, so that the BB contacts would be kept separate.

Another solution was by way of an app which might do the same thing.

I have tried synch to Outlook Express, and it does work, although when I looked at the list it had produced on the PC, there was a large section of blanks - these I could delete, so all 100+ contacts appeared there - the picture which I associated with every entry on the BB didn't, of course, transfer across.

I don't want to try to synch back to the BB, in case it screws up the list I took a long time making - my previous phone wasn't a BB, and while saving the contacts on its SIM, and then transferring them, wasn't ideal, as it used different fields, and the names needed a lot of tweaking!

However, with the software that came both with previous Sony Ericsson and Motorola phones, there was a facility to make a usable backup which had everything there that was also held on the phone - I know the BB is more geared towards total integration with Outlook etc, but for those who want to keep original phone contacts separate, it does seem to be an omission in an otherwise excellent phone.

In terms of available apps, I've seen that some, according to reviewers, don't even work - it would be good to have a recommend of any app which is reliable and might allow me, either by cable or wirelessly, to transfer my contacts to somehwer secure on the PC, and where I can even edit them, rather than having to use the smaller BB keyboard.

As a BB novice, any help/advice would be most appreciated!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
adperdue
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: wheel
Carrier: ATT
Default Re: Sync Contacts between BB and PC

Using the free m:IQ service from Best Buy, assuming your in the US, might be a good solution. Your contacts are backed up in the cloud, asscesable and editable from any web browser, and synced ota.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 02-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
philiprbuttall

That would seem a good solution if I were in the US.

Unfortunately I'm in the UK, so unless there is a compatible system here, then this isn't looking like being a solution, but thanks for the advice.

Any other ideas?
Old 02-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Google contacts?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 02-16-2011, 03:55 AM   #5
philiprbuttall

Hi,

I've taken your advice and set up Google Synch - which seemed to be easy to do, and I have a confirmation that the 100 or so messages have been synched to online storage.

Is there now a way that I can access these transferred Contacts at Google, say, using my laptop or PC, just to see them there, if wanted?

Presumably then, if they are visible there is some list format, amendments and alterations can be made.

I still assume that the Contacts' photos will not be synched across.

Many thanks!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
philiprbuttall

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiprbuttall View Post
Hi,

I've taken your advice and set up Google Synch - which seemed to be easy to do, and I have a confirmation that the 100 or so messages have been synched to online storage.

Is there now a way that I can access these transferred Contacts at Google, say, using my laptop or PC, just to see them there, if wanted?

Presumably then, if they are visible there is some list format, amendments and alterations can be made.

I still assume that the Contacts' photos will not be synched across.

Many thanks!
Just to say that I've answered my own question!

I've found where the BB Contacts are stored at my Google Account, and where I can actually edit them!

For the sake of 'completeness', I'm even able to add the same pictures to each contact there, as they appear in my BB's Address Book.

Sad, I know, but it does make the entries 'stand out' better,

Thanks!
Closed Thread