bmwilson1978
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: Telecom NZ
Default bbmgrw32.exe (4068/0xFE4) has terminated abnormally

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all,

I've seen a couple of threads about the following warning message:

Process C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\BBMgr\Server\bbmgrw32.exe (4068/0xFE4) has terminated abnormally

(Note: 4068 is the Process ID, and 0xFE4 is the Process ID in hex).

I've done quite a bit of research and have been able to successfully reproduce the warning message. This warning message appears on the Lotus Domino console and log.nsf every minute.

Environment
Lotus Domino 8.0.1
BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.5 (Bundle 79) & 4.1.6 (Bundle 38)
Windows Server 2003 - Standard Edition

When the BlackBerry Manager is started on the BES Server (that is also running the BES Lotus Domino instance) the BlackBerry Manager registers a thread with Lotus Domino. I've captured this using procmon (systernals Process Monitor tool).

If the BlackBerry Manager is closed down by either File/Exit or clicking the (X) up the top right etc (user interaction directly) this registered thread is unregistered (see the BlackBerry Manager log file - it shows this).

If the BlackBerry Manager is closed down by an operating system request, ie. the user clicks Start, Log Off (without prior closing the BlackBerry Manager) or the user has RDP'ed (Remote Desktop) into the BES Server and the session has been logged off by the system due to a idle/disconnected session timeout policy the registered thread is not unregistered with Lotus Domino (see the BlackBerry Manager log file - it shows this also).

New with Lotus Domino 7.0 and later versions was the Domino Process Monitor. This task is core to the Lotus Domino server and monitors processes and their related threads etc. If the Domino Process Monitor finds that a thread was created by a process which is no longer it will then repeat a warning message every minute stating that this has happened.

BlackBerry Technical Solution Center document KB13512 states this is warning is caused by the Domino Process Monitor - this is not correct. The Domino Process Monitor is simply doing it's job to report the bug/problem with the BlackBerry Manager.

I have also noticed in the pid.nbf the line containing bbmgrw32.exe shows in the first column a number 1 (one) which indicates a task is running according to Lotus Domino. This first column number changes to a 0 (zero) when the BlackBerry Manager is closed by user interaction using the steps previously mentioned.

Obviously if the BlackBerry Manager crashes and is not 'closed cleanly' there is nothing that can really be done in terms of unregistering the thread.

The only way I've found to purge this message from being displayed is to totally restart the BES/Lotus Domino server.

Is anyone experiencing this problem - can you confirm my findings?

Thanks

Last edited by bmwilson1978; 08-27-2008 at 02:53 AM.. Reason: Added BTSC link
Old 08-27-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
ashworth
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

I think any crashes should be sent to RIM for debug analysis. If you could reproduce the crash and catch it with userdump or adplus that would help.

My BlackBerry GPS Golf Application | Mileage Calculator
Old 08-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
bmwilson1978

Model: 9700
Carrier: Telecom NZ

I'm currently dealing with RIM about this, however they appear to be looking at the problem from the wrong angle.

Their latest email asked me to add "process_monitor_disabled=1" to the notes.ini which turns off the Domino Process Monitor. Crazy . "Oh there's an error message being reported, lets turn off the reporting task!"
Old 10-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
DavidRendle

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question

I've seen this problem too with bbmgrw32.exe. I'm running a BES server (4.1.6.9) on Domino 8.0.2. Actually, thinking back, we never had this problem before when we were running 4.1.4 on Domino 7.0.2.

The only thing I would add to the comments in this thread is that after a number of hours, my BES finally gives up delivery messages. Just happened to me today. The log was full of this error since about 4am today, but at the time it was still delivering messages. Then by about 9:30am, it stopped delivering and required a server restart. OK, I could have probably tried stopping/restarting all the tasks I know.

So for me, the problem isn't just nuisance messages in the log, it's more serious than that.

And yes, I run the BlackBerry Manager on this server too. I guess one option is to NOT run it there, but run it from my own laptop?

Finally, where can I find the dumps/logs that I should send to RIM?
Old 10-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
siemp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone
Hi, most of what you state is correct. Altough I have this issue all the time it is not really a problem. It's rather your domino server telling you a thread has been terminated in an unexpected matter. Level two usually log on through a terminal session and when this gets disconnected it terminates the bbmgr32.exe as well.
After seeing this message for the first time my test was to terminate a notepad.exe "unexpectedly". This was also mentioned by the domino console.....

Hence , if everything further is fine ... leave it be. Microsoft patches once a month usually resolve the case.

PS. There is also a ini setting to supress the message I think, but i'd rather see the message anyway.

Last edited by siemp; 10-26-2008 at 06:02 PM..
Old 11-14-2008, 02:07 AM   #6
spiggy

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Proximus
Default bbmgrw32.exe has terminated abnormally and BB manager doesn't start anymore...

Hi all

Seen this also (4.1.5 and Domino 7.0.2), but we also sometimes see that the BB Manager can't be started anymore. Killing the processes in the task manager doesn't fix it, reboot does the trick.

We've installed the BB Manager on a different machine for now, but anyone knows what could be the cause of this ?

Thx!

Peter

WES 2006, WES 2009, WES 2010, BBWC 2011
Old 01-16-2009, 05:11 AM   #7
smalln69

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Workaround without restarting Domino

Peter,

I also have this problem (4.0.4.7 and Domino 7.0.3), I've found if your having problems launching BES Manager try quiting BES (tell bes q) from the domino console it then loads bbmgr32.exe fine, this indicates that its the BES service that's stopping the bbmgr32.exe from launching. Obviously remember to start BES again (load bes).

Hope this helps
Closed Thread