Mobi Products Aluminum Case - BlackBerry Metal Cases - EverythingBerry Store

>> $24.95 + Shipping & Handling
>> Available in White, and Black colors
>> Open keypad
>> Plastic screen protector

YouTube Video Review [Link]:
YouTube - Blackberry 8300 Metal Case-Review

Personal Review:
Since the YouTube video review does a pretty decent job at covering all the high points, I will be focusing on the con's..

I have a 8700G, so my BB is bulky to begin with. The case doesn't add too much more bulk, but enough to make a noticeable difference (but reasonably expected from a case).

The largest CON I have experienced is with the screen protector. The protector is made of a plastic material. It seems to be durable, but is highly scratch prone. After I removed the vinyl (the vinyl which protects the screen from scratching during packaging) covering the plastic screen protector, I wiped off the screen with a micro-fiber cloth, and the entire screen protector is now covered in scratches. So, as a warning, don't use a micro-fiber cloth, but instead, use cotton similar to a t-shirt. I found it extremely odd that a micro-fiber cloth would the cause of my first scratches on the screen protector.

Although the scratching is a bit annoying, since I just opened it, but I suppose I'll live with it since I expected the protector to get scratched eventually (just didn't think so soon).

Another CON is the hip clip/holster. As you can see in the image (below) the clip/holster does the job it was meant to do, but at a generally large distance from the hip. I didn't notice how large the space, between the phone and my waist, would be from viewing the image pre-purchase. It's not a problem to me, personally, but I did want to make a point of this for you.

Those are the only 2 CON's I have found with the Monaco Aluminum Case. The facts stated in the YouTube video review are all true. Good protection, snug fitting for the BB. My BB does not shift or shake while inside the case. The padding inside the aluminum prevents any harsh contact with the BB and aluminum material. All of the openings along the top and sides of the BB are well placed, and allow reach of buttons easy. I have used the phone a number of times, and the recipient had no complaints about any noise or muffling of any kind.

1 Large Pro for me is the attachment part that clips into the hip clip is screwed onto the aluminum. This gives me much security of the holster holding in place. With previous leather case/holsters, I had issues with the attachment piece ripping out of the leather.

Also, the aluminum is well finished and smooth. There are no sharp, or pointy edges that will scratch the BB.

The case opens and shuts on hinges and "clicks" shut. It takes a little strength to open the case, which also gives me added security that the case won't open on it's own. Although, if the case ever did open on it's own, the BB would stay in place, due to the snug well form fitting & additional parts holding in the BB even when the case "door" is opened.

I hope my review of personal experience of this Case/Holster was helpful.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask and I will reply ASAP.

Quote:
Why don't people use me?

-Search Button

Last edited by brpwn; 04-27-2009 at 05:35 PM..
Old 04-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
rgc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T Mobile

Good review, thanks for the info on this case. I will have to keep it in mind when looking for a case for my BB when I go camping.

rgc
Old 05-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
brpwn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700G
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

*Update*

After using the Monaco Aluminum Case for 2 weeks, I came to a small mishap. My BlackBerry (while it in the said case) fell out from my hands and hit the floor. Although the phone is fine (with the exception of 3 scratches) the case has suffered a damage. The part that clips the front of the case onto the back of the case to secure close is no longer working properly. So as a warning, I would no longer recommend this case to anyone, because after 1 accident, the case is unusable.

The case it self has held its consistency, but if the clip that closes the case shut is unreliable, I feel there is no more security. I cannot depend on the case from not opening while on my hip's side.

Conclusion: This case is not made for longevity.

Quote:
Why don't people use me?

-Search Button
Closed Thread