Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
rich-55

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default WiFi / UMA Problems!

Please Login to Remove!

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I am new here, and the amount of information is staggering.

I just got the Blackberry 8900

The Wi-Fi and UMA worked for maybe 2 hours, then it stopped working.

My laptop is still running on Wi-Fi, so I know my router is pumping out a wireless signal.

My Blackberry sees the network (Wi-Fi Connections, Saved Wi-Fi Profiles... I see the network).

When I scan for networks (as in trying to create a new connection), it sees my network (Saved), when I hit 'connect', it says: "Unable To Connect, Reason: Failed to obtain an IP address"

My old phone had UMA, and was able to connect UMA to my router no problem, but for some reason, with Wi-Fi and UMA it doesn't work? Or is it something wrong with my phone?

Thank you! I'm so sorry if I'm being an annoying noob.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:44 AM   #2
RCA
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9850
Carrier: Sprint

Some of the experts here are going to want to know what model your WiFi router is and if you have tried resetting the phone by pulling the battery. Also, who is your broadband carrier?
Old 12-18-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
rich-55

My Wi-Fi Router is a 2-wire 2700E

My Broadband carrier is Rogers

I've actually done some additional reading, and saw that pulling the battery is something I should try, so I did do that (after I posted)... and it works!

But then, after an undetermined amount of time, the same thing happens, little case edge! Why is this? Is this an OS issue?
Old 12-29-2008, 03:46 AM   #4
kgatz

Carrier: fido

i am having the same problem and the battery removal fixes is briefly :( has anyone found a solution to this?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:45 AM   #5
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Sounds like an OS problem. The 8320 had similar issues when first released that later OS versions fixed. Although if it were the same problem you would think it would be released without that problem.

Was that other phone that worked a BB or a different brand? If it was a BB, you might have to wait for a new OS. If it was another brand, there's lots of things to try that may help. Lots of people (including me) run a second router behind their ISP provided router to make UMA more reliable. Mainly its being able to set the phone to a high priority so the connection is stable.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #6
Berry One

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

I wonder if may be your router has timeout for connection, or what else.

> little case edge!

Little case edge can't be WiFi related. For starters, you do have blackberry data plan with Rogers, do you?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
titetanium
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: Up
Carrier: t-mobile

I've found that if I turn off mobile network and leave wifi on, I get stable UMA signal in my home. You could try that if it helps. Just remember to turn the mobile network back on when you leave the place that hosts the wifi signal.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
rich-55

Thanks for the suggestions. Still no luck.

a) I do have a blackberry data plan
b) I tried titetanium's suggestion, but communications basically stopped after a period of time.

I don't know what to do, I'm trying a 802.11n router, but I can't get the two to communicate.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
Berry One

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

From the thread on VoIP I just read they have router terminating idle connections from VoIP gateway after period of time. I wonder if it is similar with blackberry and your router, check if connectivity terminates after approximately same interval.

I am using 8220 with UMA connected to Linksys router WRT54G with no modifications applied to it other than MAC filtering and I have no issues with it.

Not 8900 but one would assume that same OS code is on both devices when it is about WiFi and UMA connectivity.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich-55 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Still no luck.

a) I do have a blackberry data plan
b) I tried titetanium's suggestion, but communications basically stopped after a period of time.

I don't know what to do, I'm trying a 802.11n router, but I can't get the two to communicate.
N routers caused problems for 8320s. I doubt that was fixed for the 8900. Plain g (without proprietary speed boosting) routers seem to work the best, and a brand like Linksys or D-Link.

If you're technolgically handy, if you can get one that supports an OS upgrade lik dd-wrt, it helps with battery life and signal quality.

Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki
Old 01-16-2009, 04:07 AM   #11
1hotnurse

Model: 8320
Carrier: cincinnati bell

I am unable to get my 8320 to switch to UMA, I believe its something with my phone as my husband has the same phone and had no problem. Not sure what to change and havent been able to find anything set different between the 2 phones. I have spent hours working on this and can't figure out the problem. Please help!
Old 02-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
StarView2000

I noticed that with my 8900, when I tried to access UMA at home, it wouldn't work unless I turned off Bluetooth. Works at the office though, with Bluetooth on.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #13
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

There have been some issues with UMA and the 8900. Not sure why they had it fixed in the 8320 but now have the issue on the 8900. N router compatibility has been fixed with OS 4.5 and one would assume N routers are supported by the 8900. I would make sure you are running the latest OS you can find for the 8900 and make sure your router firmware is also up to date with the latest. If it still has issues after that then it may just be a matter of waiting for a new OS.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #14
Cracked Berry

Default As per Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich-55 View Post
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I am new here, and the amount of information is staggering.

I just got the Blackberry 8900

The Wi-Fi and UMA worked for maybe 2 hours, then it stopped working.

My laptop is still running on Wi-Fi, so I know my router is pumping out a wireless signal.

My Blackberry sees the network (Wi-Fi Connections, Saved Wi-Fi Profiles... I see the network).

When I scan for networks (as in trying to create a new connection), it sees my network (Saved), when I hit 'connect', it says: "Unable To Connect, Reason: Failed to obtain an IP address"

My old phone had UMA, and was able to connect UMA to my router no problem, but for some reason, with Wi-Fi and UMA it doesn't work? Or is it something wrong with my phone?

Thank you! I'm so sorry if I'm being an annoying noob.

I have had the same issues when I started to use Wi Fi.
Rogers indicated that the sim card's middle numbers should be in the 4000 range to be a optimum blackberry sim card for connectivity. Mine was 3800

Browser configuration in the browser need to have the browser identification changed from blackberry to internet explorer. The browser setting under tools and then Advanced settings needs to have the default browser configuration changed to hotspot browser. This has all worked thus far. When you leave the UMA range, due to network limitations, it is suggested that the wifi connection be disabled as that may prevent a proper data connection at times. This is all per Rogers tech support...
Old 04-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #15
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

What? That sounded a lot like Tim (the tool man) Taylor attempting to repeat to Jill what Wilson told him over the fence.
Closed Thread