BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:27 PM   #1
PARAZZI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Fido
Default BB Weather VS. Curve 8320 (Dont know what else to do)

Please Login to Remove!

Before I started, yes I did do a search and followed the instructions on blackberryfaq.com regarding of setting up the BB weather to work. I have an unlocked BB 8320 and I am under Fido service provider. I called them and plugged in their TCP settings, then after did a battery pull. Since, I live in Vancouver (Canada) I followed the link in the bbweather write up to get the ID code (aspnetresources.com) then plugged it in the "location ID". I tried both the ID code from aspenetresources and also my actual postal code. I dont have a BB Data Plan. I had the wifi on and unchecked the "disable MDS" box. When I hit "update now" all it will say is "retrieving weather, please wait..." then it will say "error: unable to open connection". Sorry, if this is being asked again. But, some help would be really great. Thanks guys, I just dont what else to do to get this to work.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Check the MDS disable box, pull the battery and reboot again.

BBWeather should work without the DataPlan, but watch out on Fido for charges against your data anyway.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
PARAZZI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Fido

JSanders: thanks for the response, but got no luck and still the same message "unable to open connection". i checked the "disable MDS proxy" and did a soft reset, since i downloaded this program yesterday. would it matter if it is soft or hard reset? would it also matter if i used my actual postal code or the one that aspnetresources.com generated based on where i live. i dont know what else to do

Last edited by PARAZZI; 02-25-2008 at 11:46 PM..
Old 02-26-2008, 02:09 AM   #4
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

fido should not charge you one bit... you dont have a data plan and as far as i know with fido there is no way you can use the data without the bb connect, even if you plug in the APN settings, at least from what i have seen... just to be safe tho i would take the APN settings out cuz you dont need them unless you are going to be getting a data plan....
Closed Thread