Old 12-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #21
MoreChampagneSir?
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: Someone

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
The battery pull has to be done when the unit is turned on. Pulling the battery while it's off has no effect.
Grazie!
Old 12-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #22
Hanwei
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
The battery pull has to be done when the unit is turned on. Pulling the battery while it's off has no effect.
Can someone else confirm this? I've had blackberry's for years now... and I've always done the battery pull after shutting the device off (and it was always effective this way).

It was my understanding that the reason for pulling the battery (as opposed to just shutting the device off and then turning it back on, is that with the battery still in, the device shuts down with the current settings and keeps the current settings... and won't "reset" until the battery is out.

With the battery out... the device does a "hard reset"... put the battery back in and you should be good to go.

As far as I know, it doesn't matter whether you pull the battery out while the phone is still on, or whether you have already shut it off. I thought the important part was that the battery was pulled out, in order to do a hard reset, not whether that was done with the phone off or on.

Have I been doing hard resets complete wrong all these years (even though they've worked)?
Old 12-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #23
CyberDemon2004

Model: 9350
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

So I upgraded my phone last night and found a few suprises. Please note that I did download the upgrade file from Verizon, but when I launched BlackBerry Desktop Manager it listed two upgrade packages (I beleive one was Verizon package installed on the local system and the other was directly from RIM over the internet). Since I couldn't clearly identify which one was the Verizon download, I just took the first one, which turned out to be from the internet. I doubt that it makes any difference, but just FYI. And another thing, Wireless Update was not avaliable on my phone before I performed the upgrade. I had 4.7.0.65.

1) Please see this image (stupid rule won't let me include it, who came up with that dumb idea?): crapnet.kicks-ass.net/images/BlackBerry_9530_Storm_20081206_001_small.jpg
Is this supposed to happen? I got this after an issue earlier today where I was changing the options for the Application List. For some reason, after changing the options about ten times, the options would no longer display. I then tried turning the device off by selecting Power Off on the Application List and then Full Power Off. When I tired turning it back on, I got the static screen seen above. I ended up having to pull the battery, but it booted back up after that.

2) After doing the upgrade, VZ Navigator stopped functioning. When I first tried to use it earlier today, it reinstalled and then displayed a message telling me to contact Verizon and confirm that I have access to the service. Now, I'm getting "Could not process your request. Please try again. [2002]". Also, when view of the sky is not avaliable, the cell tower triangulation isn't and I get a GPS time-out error. I have confirmed my GPS settings.
It turns out that somehow the code for VZ Navigator was removed from my account when I upgraded the firmware. That doesn't make any sense, but thats what the support guy told me and it did start working again instantly.

3) Though the phone seems to generally run faster, the keyboard takes much longer to appear when I try to reply to an SMS. This is fricken annoying.

All in all, these seem to have suprising little issues compared to most new product releases these days. Then again, maybe I just haven't read the right threads.

Last edited by CyberDemon2004; 12-06-2008 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: Resolved VZ Navigator issue.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #24
robotpedlr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanwei View Post
Have I been doing hard resets complete wrong all these years (even though they've worked)?
I agree with your view. Pulling the battery with the device on or powered off is the same. It does a hard reboot. If you shut it down, it is more or less in sleep mode (thats why it comes up so quick).
Old 12-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #25
CyberDemon2004

As for the battery pull question. It appears that when you "turn off" the device, it doesn't actually turn off. There could be a couple of different things happening, but most likely they just suspend the processes and only refresh the memory, therefore the currently running settings in the OS continue to exist (meaning if you had a problem, you'll still have a problem). Because of this, the battery must be pulled in order to have it reload the stored settings (which should be in working order). They have a feature in the new release, under "Power Off" that suggests it will fully shut the device down, but if you read my last post you'll see what kind of luck I had with that. Personally, I would suggest trying to turn the phone off the normal way, then pull the battery, as if it happens to be writting anything to the memory when you pull that battery out, you risk causing it to never work again (though unlikely, seeing as how thousands of people probably do every day without issue). If this doesn't resolve your issue, then just pull the battery while it is running.

Thats my two cents, but I don't know much about the underlying system.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #26
lambdacoreaz
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 304AEE5F
Carrier: VZW

Leaked .75 versus VZW .75 may not have any implicit differences, but when I installed the leaked version I didn't perform a full wipe with JL_CMder and it seemed to lag a bit, but when I installed the VZW version, I performed a full wipe and it works 110% better...

no more lag times, spontaneous keyboard disappearences, and scrolling loops...
with the leaked version I still had these problems, although it IS too early to tell, my device just seems "healthier" than before

moral of the story is WIPE before installing...certianly makes a WORLD of a difference...

and FYI - I broke down the file packages and it's all the same stuff, just resigned at a later date!

enjoy

7105t>8320>9530 whats a curve?
Old 12-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #27
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

There is enough of a significant different, even in RIM's eyes, between a battery pull reset (hard reset) and a ALT + Shift + DEL (soft reset).

View Document

Last edited by JSanders; 12-06-2008 at 05:03 PM..
Old 12-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #28
CyberDemon2004

I don't beleive that a soft reset applies to the Storm, does anyone know how to perform a soft reset?

As for pulling the battery when the device is running, I noticed that when I tried reinstalling VZ Navigator it did not shutdown gracefully, but appears to have terminated all processes immediately. Not to mention, in the article from RIM, it doesn't specify turning the device off first, so I'd say you're alright just pulling the battery.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #29
Hanwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
There is enough of a significant different, even in RIM's eyes, between a battery pull reset (hard reset) and a ALT + Shift + DEL (soft reset).

View Document
Right... but do you power down the BB before pulling the battery? Or do you pull the battery while the BB is still powered on?
Old 12-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #30
CyberDemon2004

I'm not sure what is going on, but the Full Power Off option has disappeared and when it was there, there was also a message stating that the device was scheduled to automatically power on at 6:30 AM on December 7th. I checked the Auto On/Off settings and they are disabled. Maybe there is something wrong with the firmware that Desktop Manager automatically provides from the web.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #31
drse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDemon2004 View Post
there was also a message stating that the device was scheduled to automatically power on at 6:30 AM on December 7th. I checked the Auto On/Off settings and they are disabled. Maybe there is something wrong with the firmware that Desktop Manager automatically provides from the web.

Do you have any alarms set? The phone will display this message if you do...
Old 12-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #32
Scootdog

Does any one know what this warning means? I use a Hosted BES from intermedia.net. Should I worry about updating?

Attention Corporate Customers:

Please contact your IT administrator before initiating this upgrade since it may adversely affect your ability to receive corporate email if your company uses Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES).

By clicking on Continue, you are verifying that you have contact your IT administrator before initiating this upgrade

I hate messages telling you to contact your system admin when your the system admin.

Last edited by Scootdog; 12-06-2008 at 05:40 PM..
Old 12-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #33
CyberDemon2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by drse View Post
Do you have any alarms set? The phone will display this message if you do...
Well would you look at that, BRILLIANT! Ya, I should've caught on to that one.

Well, with that now known, I was able to get the Full Power Off button back, so maybe it isn't really a new feature. I tried using it again and the phone appers to have acted the same as it does when you do a normal Power Off, so I have no idea what the hell it does differently.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #34
jman3

Default Installed Verizon 4.7.0.75

Guys, I installed 4.7.0.75 last night but it was a nightmare. I downloaded the software from Verizon and went into the BB apploader and started the install process. I was not sure it was the Verizon version as there was also an BB install also. Need less to say the download did not go well. It never completed so I restored all of my applications. I powered up the BB and the 4.7.0.75 version was loaded but I was receiving errors on my BB about connecting to a network and the BB desktop was asking if I wanted to change the encryption key. The scariest part was my Verizon data plan and icons were gone from the BB. I pulled the battery out and did a hard boot. Nothing for about 15 minutes and then the Verizon data plan and associated web browser came back. Now the next problem. I was attached to a BES through work and that was now disconnected. I had to call my BES provider in the morning and reactive the BES so I could sync my mail etc. When I completed the first sync 2 databases could not sync the address book and the phone log. Caled my BES provider and did another sync. Still had an error on the address book. I was told that the BES activation with the Storm does complete the process with errors. I checked my work address book, made a few changes and it was indeed synced to my BB. I had a 7130 BB before the Storm and never had a single problem upgrading the OS. Just beware that you may be in for a rocky road but with some patience you will be able to upgrade.

John
Old 12-06-2008, 10:27 PM   #35
hudres

PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Lightbulb Very Successful Upgrade

I happened to check this forum yesterday just after noon. Saw a notice that RIM was posting .75 at noon. So I immediately went and did the upgrade using the Internet Explorer Upgrade page. Install was flawless. Even though I have lots of dat and 3rd party apps, it only took about a hlaf hour. All the apps were restored, but most that required activation keys had to be re-activated.

This version does not seem to have the serious memory leak reported elsewhere on this pfrum. I tested it today and over an 8 hour period with no apps running, no phone calls or e-mails, it only lost about a megabyte. The battery was at 75% after 8 hours with no use.

I had no problems with VZ Nav. I do not see any reason why it should have any impact on performance if it is properly shut off.

I am satisfied with the upgrade. The accelerometer works better. I don't see a major performance enhancement, but given the acknowledged issues, it seems to be worthwhile.

My only question to the group is: Does it pay to go to .76? I was able to get a copy of the Bell Mobility .76. Is it worth changing? Thanks 73
Old 12-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #36
bskarpa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Did exactly as you said, and it worked great. It was done it about 20mins. It made the switch between portrait to landscape alot faster. Awsome post. Thanks
Old 12-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #37
mello

Model: 8300

I did the over the air download. No problems except for one hiccup. When I tried to download it said I didn't have 14MB of room on my phone. I restarted my phone and tried downloading again. After that no problems at all
Old 12-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #38
rafa2044
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: you want to know because...

Just got mine. How come I don't see the wireless upgrade option? I looked under options/advanced options but nothing.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #39
Darkcrime

I did the .75 upgrade and now when I boot the phone (battery removal) I get 3 application errors (word/sheet/slideshow). if I try to use them afterwards, my screen goes nuts and I have to remove the battery again.

Besides this, I love the phone. I just wish you could lock the screen on phone calls. my cheek keeps hitting the mute button.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #40
jh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcrime View Post
I did the .75 upgrade and now when I boot the phone (battery removal) I get 3 application errors (word/sheet/slideshow). if I try to use them afterwards, my screen goes nuts and I have to remove the battery again.

Besides this, I love the phone. I just wish you could lock the screen on phone calls. my cheek keeps hitting the mute button.
I hit that **** mute button too!! Not on every call but enough to make it really annoying.

Anyone have a fix for that?
Closed Thread