BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
elephant

Model: 7520
Carrier: verizon
Default Out of Office (OOF) Corruption with BlackBerry/BES

Please Login to Remove!

We have identified a problem with the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.4.12 version (MAPI CDO 1.2.1 - 6.5.7638) with Exchange 2007, Exchange 2007 SP1 and the Out of Office (OOF)message getting corrupted causing the Out of Office to stop sending notifications.

If you set the Out of Office using OWA 2007 or Outlook 2007 it and the end-user had BES service, the OOF will initially reply within the first 20 minutes. After 20 minutes the OOF stops responding even though it says it is active.

Additionally, if you view the OOF settings from the BlackBerrry device, it will show the Internal Out of Office message rather than the External OOF message.

Microsoft has published a related article for Legacy clients detailing the issues especially with Outlook 2003. It appears the the BlackBerry is exhibitiing the same problem:

Legacy client and Out of Office (OOF) interoperability
You Had Me At EHLO... : Legacy client and Out of Office (OOF) interoperability

It took several weeks for us to work up sceneries, but have narrowed it down to whether or not the mailbox has the BES service active on the account.

You can test by using a mailbox on Exchange 2007 with an active BES account.
  1. Send a test email from an external 3rd party email address after setting. You will receive the normal out of office reply.
  2. Wait 20 minutes or more.
  3. Send a second test email from ANOTHER 3rd party email address. Exchange will only send one auto-office reply to each respective mailbox.
  4. The OOF reply will not be sent.

PLEASE NOTE:
In addition, in Exchange 2007 OOF responses are more secure because of the following two checks:
  • OOF messages will not be sent out in response to server-detected Junk E-mail. If Exchange 2007 detects a message as Junk or if the message sender is in the user's block list, no OOF response is sent.
  • OOF messages are not sent as responses to Internet mailing lists. Exchange 2007 does not send OOF responses for incoming messages with the Precedence:bulk header set. However, if this header is missing, it is possible that OOF responses may be sent out because there is no reliable way of determining that the message was sent to a mailing list. OOF messages are also not sent as responses for incoming messages with the X-Auto-Response-Suppress:OOF header.

See:

Exchange Server 2007 Out of Office (OOF)
You Had Me At EHLO... : Exchange Server 2007 Out of Office (OOF)

If others could test this and reply back with your results and BES versions and versions of MAPI CDO (mapi32.dll, cdo.dll) located in /System32 and Exchange /bin directories.

Thank you.

Last edited by elephant; 01-05-2008 at 04:46 PM..
Old 01-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

created new thread for this ...
Old 01-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
WillFulmer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant View Post
We have identified a problem with the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.4.12 version (MAPI CDO 1.2.1 - 6.5.7638) with Exchange 2007, Exchange 2007 SP1 and the Out of Office (OOF)message getting corrupted causing the Out of Office to stop sending notifications.

If you set the Out of Office using OWA 2007 or Outlook 2007 it and the end-user had BES service, the OOF will initially reply within the first 20 minutes. After 20 minutes the OOF stops responding even though it says it is active.

Additionally, if you view the OOF settings from the BlackBerrry device, it will show the Internal Out of Office message rather than the External OOF message.

Microsoft has published a related article for Legacy clients detailing the issues especially with Outlook 2003. It appears the the BlackBerry is exhibitiing the same problem:

Legacy client and Out of Office (OOF) interoperability
You Had Me At EHLO... : Legacy client and Out of Office (OOF) interoperability

It took several weeks for us to work up sceneries, but have narrowed it down to whether or not the mailbox has the BES service active on the account.

You can test by using a mailbox on Exchange 2007 with an active BES account.
  1. Send a test email from an external 3rd party email address after setting. You will receive the normal out of office reply.
  2. Wait 20 minutes or more.
  3. Send a second test email from ANOTHER 3rd party email address. Exchange will only send one auto-office reply to each respective mailbox.
  4. The OOF reply will not be sent.

PLEASE NOTE:
In addition, in Exchange 2007 OOF responses are more secure because of the following two checks:
  • OOF messages will not be sent out in response to server-detected Junk E-mail. If Exchange 2007 detects a message as Junk or if the message sender is in the user's block list, no OOF response is sent.
  • OOF messages are not sent as responses to Internet mailing lists. Exchange 2007 does not send OOF responses for incoming messages with the Precedence:bulk header set. However, if this header is missing, it is possible that OOF responses may be sent out because there is no reliable way of determining that the message was sent to a mailing list. OOF messages are also not sent as responses for incoming messages with the X-Auto-Response-Suppress:OOF header.

See:

Exchange Server 2007 Out of Office (OOF)
You Had Me At EHLO... : Exchange Server 2007 Out of Office (OOF)

If others could test this and reply back with your results and BES versions and versions of MAPI CDO (mapi32.dll, cdo.dll) located in /System32 and Exchange /bin directories.

Thank you.
Same issue here, cdo.dll version: 6.5.7651.61. We're using Outlook 2003.

Tested a user with BIS and Outlook 2003 on Exchange 2007, no problem
Tested a user with BES and Outlook 2003 on Exchange 2007, after @ 20 mins, no OOF messages at all.

Now have 2 clients with the same issue.
One client has a pure, newly built Exchange 2007 SP1 environment and BES 4.1.4. Nothing previous, brand new environment. Anyone figure out where the problem resides, Microsoft or BES?

Any luck? Please help!

Last edited by WillFulmer; 01-08-2008 at 08:20 PM..
Old 03-17-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
bechard

Model: Many
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFulmer View Post
Same issue here, cdo.dll version: 6.5.7651.61. We're using Outlook 2003.

Tested a user with BIS and Outlook 2003 on Exchange 2007, no problem
Tested a user with BES and Outlook 2003 on Exchange 2007, after @ 20 mins, no OOF messages at all.

Now have 2 clients with the same issue.
One client has a pure, newly built Exchange 2007 SP1 environment and BES 4.1.4. Nothing previous, brand new environment. Anyone figure out where the problem resides, Microsoft or BES?

Any luck? Please help!
Haven't seen many other posts regarding this issue. We're also experiencing the same problem. Exchange 2007 SP1 and BES 4.1.4. Any users without BB's do not have the issue regardless if they use Outlook 2003, OWA or Outlook 2007 but if a user has a BB then we get the same issue as above.

It will send an OOF for about 20 minutes but then just stops. I have a call into RIM but they were not able to help at this time. They said SP1 is not supported (we installed it to get rid of the duplicate OOF message issue) until BES 4.1.5 which is set to be released March 28th 2008. The tech did mention other companies are having this issue but were able to fix it by having the users set their OOF through OWA but we tried that and after about 20 minutes it still stops sending the OOF.

I imagine by now others must be using exchange 2007 SP1, anyone have any more info.
Thanks
Ben
Old 03-17-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
WillFulmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bechard View Post
Haven't seen many other posts regarding this issue. We're also experiencing the same problem. Exchange 2007 SP1 and BES 4.1.4. Any users without BB's do not have the issue regardless if they use Outlook 2003, OWA or Outlook 2007 but if a user has a BB then we get the same issue as above.

It will send an OOF for about 20 minutes but then just stops. I have a call into RIM but they were not able to help at this time. They said SP1 is not supported (we installed it to get rid of the duplicate OOF message issue) until BES 4.1.5 which is set to be released March 28th 2008. The tech did mention other companies are having this issue but were able to fix it by having the users set their OOF through OWA but we tried that and after about 20 minutes it still stops sending the OOF.

I imagine by now others must be using exchange 2007 SP1, anyone have any more info.
Thanks
Ben
BES 4.1.5, MR1 will fix this, NOT 4.1.5.
If you're running 4.1.4, we are hopefully receiving a hotfix for 4.1.4 MR4 which will fix this as well.

I'll keep you posted if we do receive this.

-Will
Old 03-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
bechard

Quote:
BES 4.1.5, MR1 will fix this, NOT 4.1.5.
If you're running 4.1.4, we are hopefully receiving a hotfix for 4.1.4 MR4 which will fix this as well.

I'll keep you posted if we do receive this.

-Will
Thanks for the update and info, did RIM tell you they had a fix coming for 4.1.4 MR4? I had asked but the tech said I'd need to wait for 4.1.5 for official SP1 support he did not mention 4.1.5 mr1. I did mention to the tech we have 2 BES servers (we had just recently migrated from our older server ) and the old one is still valid and online so if they wanted someone to help test I'd be more than willing. (No one is on this server but I could move an account over to it for testing).

Thanks again, please keep me updated.

Ben
Old 03-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
blacktoe

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT
Default Hot fix for MR#4 for v4.1.4

I've been on the phone with RIM for over the past 2 weeks now and they had to get the hot fix approved. They were supposed to have sent this to me last Thursday and I have heard nothing from them. They wrote me back finally today saying that they sent it to me twice yet none of my message logs or spam quarantine has anything in regards to an email from them. The support with this has been less than stellar compared to prior experiences. I'll keep you posted once they provide me the mysterious hot fix. Cheers!
Old 03-24-2008, 09:09 AM   #8
bechard

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktoe View Post
I've been on the phone with RIM for over the past 2 weeks now and they had to get the hot fix approved. They were supposed to have sent this to me last Thursday and I have heard nothing from them. They wrote me back finally today saying that they sent it to me twice yet none of my message logs or spam quarantine has anything in regards to an email from them. The support with this has been less than stellar compared to prior experiences. I'll keep you posted once they provide me the mysterious hot fix. Cheers!
*EDIT (had wrong version numbers)* Interesting, I was on the phone with them on thursday last week (Mar 20th) and was told there will be no hot fix for MR4 even after I volunteered to test it on a 2nd BES server we have. The tech did say that 4.1.5 will not have the fix for the OOF issue but that a hotfix for 4.1.5 (MR1) will follow 1-2 weeks after 4.1.5's release date of approx March 28th.

Last edited by bechard; 03-24-2008 at 09:12 AM..
Old 03-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
WillFulmer

After going back and forth with RIM for a few months, they finally provided us with a fix for 4.1.4 MR4. It's a "quickfix" that replaces two files and should return functionality of the OOF with Exchange 2007.

Our BES is still 4.1.3, so we cannot apply this yet; we will be soon.

This fix is ONLY for 4.1.4 MR4. If you apply 4.1.5, the OOF will be broken once again until MR1 for 4.1.5 is released (no date yet).

This quickfix is largely untested but was released by RIM. I would be happy to share these files though.

-Will
Old 03-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
bechard

Quote:
After going back and forth with RIM for a few months, they finally provided us with a fix for 4.1.4 MR4. It's a "quickfix" that replaces two files and should return functionality of the OOF with Exchange 2007.

This fix is ONLY for 4.1.4 MR4. If you apply 4.1.5, the OOF will be broken once again until MR1 for 4.1.5 is released (no date yet).

This quickfix is largely untested but was released by RIM. I would be happy to share these files though.

-Will
Interesting, they've made no mention of a quickfix anytime I've tried to talk to them. I would definitely like to test it out, obviously I'd prefer to get it direct from them but I really don't want to wait on hold an hour to be told nothing is available. I don't think this site has PM functions but I'll take a look and see if I can message you offline. Thanks again!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #11
bechard

In case anyone is interested I have tested the patch WillFulmer received and it seems to be working 100%.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #12
KBA5466

Model: 8700
Carrier: vodafone uk

Quote:

-Will

Hi Will - can I have a copy of the Fix?

Cheers

Kem
Old 04-04-2008, 08:18 AM   #13
WillFulmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBA5466 View Post
Hi Will - can I have a copy of the Fix?

Cheers

Kem
Feel free to PM with your email address and I'll send it. I did have one peer of mine in Australia attempt the patch and his services would not stop after, required, full uninstall and reinstall of 4.1.4. May have something to do with a non-US-English version perhaps.

Use this at your own risk but we have 2 successful installations so far!

-Will
Old 04-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #14
bechard

Quote:
Feel free to PM with your email address and I'll send it. I did have one peer of mine in Australia attempt the patch and his services would not stop after, required, full uninstall and reinstall of 4.1.4. May have something to do with a non-US-English version perhaps.

Use this at your own risk but we have 2 successful installations so far!

-Will
Glad that didn't happen to me! Did you end up getting it installed , just wondering who else has had success. We did install in a test environment first successfully before installing in our live envir. again without issue.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #15
the_coop

Model: 8300

Does anyone know the version number of the hot-fix? We are having the same issue, currently on 4.1.4 MR4. I see there is a 4.1.4 MR5 available now for download, but the release notes make no mention of a fix for this issue.

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #16
bechard

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_coop View Post
Does anyone know the version number of the hot-fix? We are having the same issue, currently on 4.1.4 MR4. I see there is a 4.1.4 MR5 available now for download, but the release notes make no mention of a fix for this issue.

Thanks.
The particular fix from WillFulmer is an "unofficial" hotfix so I don't think there is a version number, he acquired it directly from RIM and was nice enough to share it with us. 4.1.4 MR5 DOES NOT have this fix built in. 4.1.5MR1 is supposed to have it but thats still some time away.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:33 AM   #17
the_coop

Model: 8300

Well after spending about 2 hours on the phone with RIM, they claim there is no hot fix and they do not provide private hot fixes. This is clearly an issue as we can reproduce it at will for any users that are on the BES server. Any chance someone could pass on the fix to me so we can test it out? I saw some others on this thread were kind enough to share it after actually getting it from RIM. It would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
the_coop
Old 04-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #18
bechard

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_coop View Post
Well after spending about 2 hours on the phone with RIM, they claim there is no hot fix and they do not provide private hot fixes. This is clearly an issue as we can reproduce it at will for any users that are on the BES server. Any chance someone could pass on the fix to me so we can test it out? I saw some others on this thread were kind enough to share it after actually getting it from RIM. It would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
the_coop
Yah I ran into the same wall, clearly the do have a hotfix (even if it is only a beta) but are not normally willing to release it. I do have it and ran it in our test envir. and now in our live envir. successfully. If you'd like a copy just send me a PM with your email address.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #19
awharton

Model: 8100
Carrier: O2

Please could someone update this thread........I have run into the same issue. Any chance of having the fix sent to me also please.

Andrew Wharton
Old 04-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #20
bechard

Quote:
Originally Posted by awharton View Post
Please could someone update this thread........I have run into the same issue. Any chance of having the fix sent to me also please.
Not sure I follow by updating the thread. It is a known issue, RIM will acknowledge it however they don't have an official patch until 4.1.5MR1, if you are running 4.1.4MR4 (not MR5 ) there is a patch a few of us are using that appears to work. Its "as is" from a tech. at RIM, from what I've gathered it has worked for everyone except a BES server in Australia so it could be US localized but I can't confirm that. Send WillFulmer or myself a PM and I'm sure we can send you that patch if you'd like to try it. Again its "as is", personally I tested on a seperate BES test server first.
Closed Thread