BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
PIRATA!
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: 3 Italy
Default Final guide on how to upgrade to OS 5.0 on Windows 7 without any Internet Service!!

Please Login to Remove!

If I posted this thread in a non correct section, please excuse me.

TO CORRECTLY INSTALL NEW RIM OS 5.0 ON DEVICES WITHOUT INTERNET SERVICE and USING Windows 7 TO DO SO, FOLLOW THIS:
  1. First of all do a complete backup of all your contacts, messages, and stuff using your actual version of Desktop Manager.[/B] After that, you are ready to start the OS 5.0 upgrade! ;)
  2. Uninstall ANY RIM software, like old OS instalation AND Desktop Manager! You have to end up with your Windows 7 with NOTHING of RIM stuff installed AND NONE of dead foldes in C:\Program Files\Common Files\. (I used Your Unin-staller! 2010 in Super-Mode to uninstal first last 5.0 OS, then my old 4.6 OS, and last my old 5.0.0 DM)
  3. After ALL the uninstalling, restart Windows 7 and then INSTALL the OS 5.0 you would like to upload to your BB. DO NOT INSTALL Desktop Manage OR ANY OTHER OS OR RIM SOFTWARE!!!!!!!!
  4. After the OS is correctly installed, navigate to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader folder and DELETE the file Vendor.xml, and then EMPTY THE RECYCLE BIN!!
  5. Plug your BB to the computer with an USB cable, and then TURN OFF THE BB!
  6. ONLY when the device is correctly turned OFF (device light is flashing because in battery charging mode), REMOVE the battery and REMOVE the SIM card.
  7. NOW YOU HAVE TO BE QUICK!!! Insert the battery back in and WHILE THE LIGHT OF YOUR BB IS RED TURNED ON run the Loader.exe file that is located in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader folder!!!
  8. In the Loader app you will see your device found with an UNKNOWN PIN: hit NEXT and go for the software scanning!!
  9. After that, the Loader app should show you and let you choose ANY of the OS 5.0 modules available in your version.
  10. Choose the one you like (I installed everything without just a few languages, BBMessenger, TTY support and Password) and go ahead to finish installation!! ;)
  11. After the installation is ended, your BB will boot up for the first time after about 30 minutes (or more!), so DON'T WORRY IF YOU DON'T SEE THE PROGRESS BAR MOVING!! Just forget about you BB for a while and go to eat a panini!
  12. Now DOWNLOAD the latest Desktop Manager available from RIM and use it to restore all your personal data, but REMEMBER that OS 5.0 is different from old OS 4.6 or 4.7, so is better ONLY to RESTORE your PERSONAL DATA like contacts, messages, dictionaries and custom words. It is better NOT to restore all those system settings that could be non-compatible with the new OS 5.0.

I hope this could help someone like me that does not have Internet Service but would like to have the latest OS 5.0 on his BB that officially needs to have an Internet Service on the SIM.

Cheers.

Last edited by PIRATA!; 04-06-2010 at 10:13 AM..
Old 04-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (9520 / MF231)

Thanks for this.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Cool.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
bocabenz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks for posting this. It does indeed work.

I would like to mention I was able to follow another member's (Ric0chet) advice who was able to update without uninstalling the Desktop Manager.

Either way, thanks for the tip.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
PIRATA!
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: 3 Italy

Wirelessly posted (8100 Pearl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabenz
Thanks for posting this. It does indeed work.

I would like to mention I was able to follow another member's (Ric0chet) advice who was able to update without uninstalling the Desktop Manager.

Either way, thanks for the tip.
Yeah, maybe is it possible too, but in my case I probably had some mess on my Win7 so that the only way was to uninstall everything (and well!) and install only the few things needed to make the upgrade.

I'll test upgrading without uninstalling DM asap with the last Bold os5 just released a few days ago.

Btw..can you link the post where you read that method?

Thank you.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
bocabenz

Model: 9300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATA! View Post
Wirelessly posted (8100 Pearl)

Yeah, maybe is it possible too, but in my case I probably had some mess on my Win7 so that the only way was to uninstall everything (and well!) and install only the few things needed to make the upgrade.

I'll test upgrading without uninstalling DM asap with the last Bold os5 just released a few days ago.

Btw..can you link the post where you read that method?

Thank you.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ml#post1591446
Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
mczapata

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers Wireless (5.0.0.348)

Well, I don't know if you have to do all this to do an upgrade. I think most people are having problems upgrading because they are using Windows 7 (I don't have Vista, but it is probably the same) and in Windows 7 there are two places where you need to erase the vendor.xml file, one is in c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\ and the second one (which I have only seen mentioned once in a forum) is in c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Pro gram Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\ (needless to say, replace "<username>" with the username you logged in to when installed the device software).

After that just disconnect your internet connection and use loader.exe (also located in c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\. I did not uninstall anything, did not rebooted the BB or had to quickly run loader while the red LED was on. I even had my BB on the white screen and "reload software error 513" on it. I have done it with both a 9000 and a 8900, with the latest version of Desktop Manager installed (although I only used loader.exe). I hope this helps somebody.

Last edited by mczapata; 05-18-2010 at 10:41 PM..
Old 06-04-2010, 05:23 AM   #8
whitescorpion

Carrier: student

if i do this upgrade without bis..then i wan to register bis after i upgrade,is there got problem with that..?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
mczapata

The upgrade has nothing to do with BIS, BES, data plans or anything like that, you can just go ahead and update the OS
Old 06-05-2010, 05:29 AM   #10
whitescorpion

Carrier: student

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczapata View Post
The upgrade has nothing to do with BIS, BES, data plans or anything like that, you can just go ahead and update the OS
thx for the help buddy! act, im new to blacberry
Old 06-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
No you can't. RIM changed their policy on this about December of last year.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #12
mczapata

I don't understand what policy you are referring to. As I mentioned, I just upgraded my 8900 two weeks ago and I don't have a data contract, just the voice one (no data services whatsoever unless I am connected to Wi-Fi). My BB was even locked to Rogers at the time, and I didn't do a wipe and fresh install, just upgraded as I mentioned above: disconnecting from the internet, uninstalling all previous versions of the OS from the PC, erasing vendor.xml from both locations and upgrading with loader.exe. And I do have the latest version of Desktop Manager. Unless I am mistaken, you are stating that this cannot be done, but I just did it. Am I missing something?

Last edited by mczapata; 06-14-2010 at 06:35 PM..
Old 06-15-2010, 07:24 AM   #13
salavatov

Carrier: Beeline

PIRATA!, you method worked fine with AT&T 9000 unlocked with MFI under BES (yet to deal with). I'd add some comments to make it short.
1)To do job you do not need Desktop Manager at all. I have USB drivers only and even that seems not necessery. SIM card stays inserted.
2)Download and install OS.
3)Remove vendor.xml
4)Disconnect LAN (and any other network device which shows "Connected" state)
5)Run loader.
6)Connect body and see it recognized by loader.
7)Remove battery - recognized PIN disappears and turn into "UNKNOWN"
8)No need to hurry here in fact. It seems it stay unrecognized. Hit next.
9)No connect battery, no need to turn it on or wait for red light - it will proceed automatically.

It seems this way it skips some checks. I was not able to get it offering update to 5.0 without battery trick. Thanks.

Kostya

P.M: After all one might start panic at about 2/3 of progress indicator it looks like freezed - do not worry and wait. About 10-15 minutes - it will move further.

Last edited by salavatov; 06-15-2010 at 07:26 AM..
Old 06-15-2010, 08:20 AM   #14
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
I don't understand what policy you are referring to.
I agree, apparently you don't understand. It's been discussed here in this and other forums quite a bit.

Quote:
Am I missing something?
Yes, this: Upgrades for the BlackBerry Device Software are only available to BlackBerry smartphone users with an active BlackBerry service subscription

How you did it? I dunno, don't care, just answering questions here.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:17 AM   #15
alwaleed

Model: 8520
PIN: }2199838C{FOR GIRLs ONLY ;)
Carrier: mobiley

its work with out delete the Desktop Manager

thank you maaan i feel bold ;)

2199838C
Old 06-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #16
mczapata

JSanders, you don't know and you don't care? Odd, I thought the forums were to help people find out how to do things. And you are a "moderator"? Gee! I am not here to fight, just to help people, so spare me your attacks.

Anyway, if somebody follows my instructions and makes it work without a data contract let us know.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #17
omar121

Model: 9530
Carrier: COMCEL COLOMBIA

I need to know if only with internet conection I install a jad file. Is there another way to run the jad file without internet sertvice?
best Regards
omar121
Old 07-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #18
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Gee! I am not here to fight, just to help people, so spare me your attacks.
You're the one disagreeing about the RIM policy regarding this. Just because you don't know it and/or refuse to read it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I'm not stopping from posting the workaround, no problem there. No one has attacked you. You're not a victim, quit pretending to be one.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #19
mczapata

Disagreeing about the policy? I don't care about the policy and no, I have not read it because I only care about what works and how it is done, that is why people come here. The discussion, as you may have read, is titled "how to upgrade to OS 5.0 on Windows 7 without any Internet Service", not "why did RIM put a policy in place so we cannot upgrade without a data plan". You never said that you tried the procedure and it didn't work, so we can try to find out why and find a way around the issue, to everybody's benefit.

And no, of course I am not a victim, the procedure works, regardless of you arguing that there is a policy in place and that it cannot be done, and that is what matters to anyone that reads this thread.

Cheers!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #20
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
The upgrade has nothing to do with BIS, BES, data plans or anything like that,
Quote:
I don't understand what policy you are referring to. ....

Am I missing something?
Quote:
Disagreeing about the policy? I don't care about the policy and no, I have not read it because I only care about what works and how it is done,
Ok, craphead, read the your posts here. Just in case you can't keep up with what you're saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Thanks for this.
I've never said your workaround doesn't work. As a matter of fact, I thanked you for it in the very first post. You kept saying you don't anything about the RIM policy -- my point was just to let you know THAT policy is the reason the upgrades for those without a BIS/BES plan doesn't work -- until of course they use this workaround.

Chill out.
Closed Thread