BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Review - Seidio "Medium" 1250 mAh Extended Battery - Pics!

Please Login to Remove!

OK, I got one of these to give it as a gift to my friend who is "using" one of my Pearls [until I get mad at her and take it back ].

This is what I call Seidio's "medium" extended battery because it is larger than the OEM battery that comes with the Pearl [the yellow one] but not as big as the Seidio 2400 mAh extended battery.

As with the Seidio "large" 2400 mAh battery, this medium unit is just as impressive. Here are the details:

1. Out of the Box - I noted out of the box that the battery cover appeared to be of good quality, thicker than the OEM cover, a better finish and it has the speaker grill.

2. Cells - I noted the battery label said the cells were made in Japan. A good sign as to quality since the better lithium comes from Japan [better quality control there.]

3. Battery Install - I inserted the battery just to check the fit, etc. Of course the battery inserted perfectly. The phone fired up and the battery icon indicated about 25% power.

4. Fit - I attached the battery cover and was AMAZED at how tightly this one snaps into place. It's so tight that it is actually difficult to remove it. So it seems Seidio must have beefed up the latching mechanisms even more than on the 2400 mAh cover [which was also tight].

I then noted the cover fit nicely, all the edges mated fine and overall the feel of the phone is better because the Seidio cover is not flimsy like the OEM cover.

6. Form Factor / Size - I also did some size comparisons for you, so to see just how little this battery extends beyond the original size of the phone. So why the cover you ask? Two things: A) the Seidio cover has the speaker grill; and 2) the extended battery protrudes about 1 mm so the original cover will not fit over the extended battery. It almost does, but it cannot.

Overall, use of this battery is great for people who do not want to lose the Pearl's original "slim and trim" feel. Installed you cannot really tell that there is an extended battery in use.

7. Cases - I then put the phone into various cases. It will NOT fit into any hard case since the tolerance [gap] between the phone cover and the hard case is not sufficient to handle the additional 1 mm space that the extended battery required.

But, the phone with this medium battery does fit into all my leather cases. Obviously this is because leather cases have enough flex to make room for 1 mm of additional phone, so to speak.

Note: I will upload pics of the various cases in use, in a separate post.

8. Power - I started my test of the phone's power with this new battery, about 18 hours ago. I will perform a power test over the next few days and post the results.

9. Price - This is a very good product and IMHO priced fairly for what you get. IMHO the cover could sell for $10 to $15 by itself, so that means the extended battery is selling for $25 or so. That's a deal for an extended battery OF GOOD QUALITY [meaning in comparison to cheap, low quality batteries from fleabay].

Yeah, you can eventually find cheaper items on eBay, but who knows what kind of crap they are putting into such products.

Conclusion - I don't know of anyone else making these items so I think we are lucky to have access to the information and products before most anyone else.

Personally, I like the large 2400 mAh battery. I prefer the additional power since I do not have a land line at home, I am totally wireless. Also, I like the grip I can get on the phone with the larger battery. Using this "medium" extended battery caused me to lose the gripping surface that I have become used to with the 2400 mAh battery.

For both these reasons I am letting my friend use this extended battery. On seeing it she would have taken it from me anyway.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 02-28-2007 at 08:01 PM..
Old 02-28-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
TheBigNewt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Nicely done, as usual. I'll put in my order today. Since I use the BB leather pocket it'll work. I will probably put my Seidio rubberized case and the OEM battery/cover up for sale. Question: How do you get these products so much sooner than anyone else, SF?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

If only it was NOT branded I'd get on in a second!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
TheBigNewt

How's the black finish on the cover compare to the glossy black finish of the Pearl? I ordered mine just now anyway. I hope the speaker hole thing isn't glued in there because it's where I pull it out of the leather pocket with my thumb. The original cover had a silver plate over it there with Blackberry stamped on it.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 02-28-2007 at 05:13 PM..
Old 02-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
rivviepop

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Thanks for the review and pics so far. Would you be willing to take some up close macro pics of the speaker grill assembly, both inside and out? I'm interested in it's machined quality but can't really tell from their website or your pics.

BTW, am I the only guy without 357 shells on his desk?! Let's see... Borg head, lollipops, nerf gun, compressed air..... nope, no 357 shells.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #6
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Where's LGreenberg when he's needed?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
SanFrancisco

Default Here are some cases in use with the battery

Self explantory:

Old 02-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
wickcity
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: cingular

Thank for the post. Unless I missed it, you gave us an idea of battery life after 10 hours, but how many hours from start to finish?

Those icons look like the apple icons with the ical, clock and others. How do you get those icons on your phone? I know, probably a dumb question. Those icons look pretty sharp and I would like to add those as well.

I'm hoping the Cingular door is not far away.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
If only it was NOT branded I'd get on in a second!
That logo can come off quite easily. A few strokes with denatured alcohol and it was gone.

So your "second" is up, get a orderin.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:46 PM   #10
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Sweet! You rock SF!

Wonder if I can get a best skin ever battery cover skin only?

Last edited by LunkHead; 02-28-2007 at 05:48 PM..
Old 02-28-2007, 05:46 PM   #11
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickcity
Thank for the post. Unless I missed it, you gave us an idea of battery life after 10 hours, but how many hours from start to finish?

Those icons look like the apple icons with the ical, clock and others. How do you get those icons on your phone? I know, probably a dumb question. Those icons look pretty sharp and I would like to add those as well.

I'm hoping the Cingular door is not far away.
I said I had the phone on for 10 hours at the time of the pic, with this battery .

See where I said I am doing a power test and will be reporting the results in the next few days [as I did with my 2400 mAh review.]
Old 02-28-2007, 06:03 PM   #12
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
Thanks for the review and pics so far. Would you be willing to take some up close macro pics of the speaker grill assembly, both inside and out? I'm interested in it's machined quality but can't really tell from their website or your pics.
Sorry, don't take requests. I have to leave now.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 02-28-2007 at 06:06 PM..
Old 02-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #13
ErnieH
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: Rogers

SanFrancisco: just taking this as an opportunity to thank you for all your contributions to this forum. I always stop to read your posts and appreciate your thorough commentary.

Gotta run now and get my new battery on order.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:30 PM   #14
razorlocs
Thumbs Must Hurt

San Francisco thank you for the time an effort that you put into the reviews. I always read them and take them into serious consideration when looking for accessories for my pearl. Much appreciated as always!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #15
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Yup, SF rocks!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #16
SanFrancisco

Thanks for all the compliments, much appreciated.

The reason I do "how to" and reviews is because I know how much I like reading about stuff, so I like to reciprocate.

By the way, the reason I post pics and videos is because I follow the general rules of presenting ideas:

Sound trumps print...

Photographs trump sound...

Video trumps photographs.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #17
TheBigNewt

SF: Is that speaker hole/grille just cut out of the piece, or is it a separate piece glued into a hole already cut out? I ask this because I pull the unit out of my pouch with my thumb right where that speaker cutout is. I don't want to cave it in while pulling it out. I guess I'll find out when I get it, but since you already have it waddaya think?
Old 02-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #18
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
SF: Is that speaker hole/grille just cut out of the piece, or is it a separate piece glued into a hole already cut out? I ask this because I pull the unit out of my pouch with my thumb right where that speaker cutout is. I don't want to cave it in while pulling it out. I guess I'll find out when I get it, but since you already have it waddaya think?
I thought the picture showed it clearly, it is cut out from the entire cover. No separate piece. It's thick and sturdy.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:04 PM   #19
tacsniper
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
That logo can come off quite easily. A few strokes with denatured alcohol and it was gone.

So your "second" is up, get a orderin.

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/b...erylogonot.gif
Thanks SanFran you just answered my question and I can't wait for my package to arrive tmr!! BTW, thanks for another awesome review. Waiting for the power results :D

Sorry Seidio... but next time you should consider about not printing the logo on it, 'cuz we will remove it *devil face*...

Last edited by tacsniper; 02-28-2007 at 09:07 PM..
Old 02-28-2007, 09:05 PM   #20
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

Great Review. I really wanna get this battery but want a hard case that will fit the phone with the extra mm. I think i am gonna wait till Seidio comes out with a hard rubberized case for this battery before getting it. Once again great review.