Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
jdparker

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Creating HTML Email for viewing on BB Devices

Please Login to Remove!

First time post, but hoping someone can help me out... this issue is driving me crazy!

A little background... I work for a large company that used a BES platform and all managers and above have a company issues BB device (the Curve is the most common model, and we're all on the AT&T network.) Our email system is a MS Exchange system, using Outlook as the standard frontend. I am responsible for developing reporting solutions for our operations team. I have solutions I have developed for our control center to use that use VBA programming to format and email performance data via Outlook periodically throughout the operation. Since all managers have BB devices, I try to keep email output formatted to be easily viewable on a BB.

I was originally using a simple plain text formatted email with fixed width formatting for the data to keep tabular data nice and neat. However, our devices don't display plain text emails in a fixed width type font, so data was out of line when the BB rendered the plain text email.

Since then, I've began creating HTML emails from outlook using an HTML table to hold the data. The first two reports that I converted into HTML were rendering great on the BB. The tables worked perfectly, with all data formatted the way I had coded it to.

However, here is my problem. I have just converted a third program over to use HTML email. I've used the EXACT same methods as the first two reports, and same coding structure in VB. However, this email will not render in HTML on my BB device! I've gone through the HTML code 100 times to make sure I haven't screwed anything up, and the code is structurally identical to the other emails that render fine on my BB. The only major difference between the two is the physical length of the HTML... The one that works is relatively large (33,289 characters) and the new one is much smaller (2,883 characters.)

This has been driving me nuts! It seems like my device chooses to render some messages in HTML and others it converts to plain text. The message structure I am sending it is nearly identical other than the size difference. Can someone tell me what is triggering the device itself to render emails differently? I should mention that the emails all render perfectly in outlook, so the HTML Code is present and displaying as it should on a PC email viewer.

Thanks much!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
digiet

Model: 8700
Carrier: SingTel

Hi, are you able to fix the table or image width such that it does not wrap around in black berry?

My boss wants to be able to scroll left and right in the email...but it I can't seems to make it work. The tables just get wrap around and not readable.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
jdparker

Model: 8320
Carrier: AT&T

No. My tables are formated to fill 100% of the available width, and are then sized to the width of the Blackberry screen. I've never had the need to have an email that will scroll right and left, and I don't beleive the BB email app supports that anyway. The only HTML that I've seen that scrolls right and left are web pages viewed in the browser. I keep my emails formated so that they still look good when the tables are consensed to the width of the BB screen.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
digiet

Model: 8700
Carrier: SingTel

thanks. i can format the layout to fit BB exactly when generating emails from php coding but not when i paste from ms word to outlook ... the width etc that i set seems to get affected in BB.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
hopespoppa

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Default Create formatted outlook emails for blackberry veiwers

Same background as thread orginator (except on Verizon). I would like to find a guide to creating emails in outlook with simple tables and other normal project reports. But I'm not an html or php developer.

I'm looking for statements like "tables must be x inches or less' to avoid rearranged tables or scrolling "use x font" etc......

Any links to existing guides would be appreciated too.

Thank You.
Closed Thread