Old 07-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
erichall1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Free MaxMem is Awesome!!!!!!

Please Login to Remove!

The free MaxMem is totally awesome worked like a dream.

Link to Review and instructions
Link to OTA download http://www.berrycoder.com/

I just freed almost 6 megabytes

I didn't use the remove themes though because I like the T-Mobile theme best.

My Pearl 8120 responds very well now even with Google Maps and Opera mini using up memory in addition to the BB browser.

What is the simplest way to put T-mobile theme back on so I'm not stuck with BB Dimension Zen theme if I use MaxMem to remove themes? I do not want to go through wiping and reinstalling OS. Just want it very simple. But cannot find where to download the original T-Mobile theme which came on my Pearl 8120.

MaxMem removes all but Zen theme: Quote:"All themes other than Zen theme will be removed but you get to authorize each theme cod file" does that mean it will be allowed to reload? seems like it would anyway. Don't get that part and haven't used the Remove Themes part of MaxMem yet.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:46 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for the heads up and posting this... You might want to do some testing yourself and post back the results here about how well it works, since you still have multiple questions.

From what I read, you authorize each theme cod for removal, so make sure your Tmobile theme is not removed. I don't see how it will add themes back after removal.

Good luck.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Themes would be added back if you run application loader...I think that's what he was getting at.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

Great app, but be very very sure you have a full working backup of your device prior to running it.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:59 PM   #5
erichall1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Themes would be added back if you run application loader...I think that's what he was getting at.
Thanks for your response John.
My Application loader only list:
SoftReset
MaxMem
Google Maps
Opera Mini
All of these I have loaded myself. The Theme I wish to keep came preloaded. It's called T-mobile. I guess I am wary to click on Remove Themes in case I cannot back out before removing That theme. The reason why I am not going to even try it is because the MaxMem program says this about the Remove Themes Option: "Removes all but Dimension Zen. Make sure to switch to Dimension Zen first". seems pretty clear it will remove all but Zen Theme. But I can authorize the cod for my T-Mobile Theme. But what good does that do me when I cannot find the theme anywhere to reload it?

Last edited by erichall1; 07-02-2008 at 11:10 PM..
Old 07-02-2008, 11:01 PM   #6
erichall1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun27612 View Post
Great app, but be very very sure you have a full working backup of your device prior to running it.
Naturally so, you can be sure that I did with Desktop Manager 4.3
Old 07-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
erichall1

Default Remove Themes Option

If anyone uses the Remove Theme Option in MaxMem could you please share some info details about with us here on this thread?
Thanks
Maybe someone who uses the Zen theme will do so?
I suspect my T-Mobile Theme like some others relies on the Dimension Zen so would like to have only those two themes on my Pearl 8120.

Last edited by erichall1; 07-02-2008 at 11:26 PM..
Old 07-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #8
Massonite
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: Ask
Carrier: TELUS Mobility
Default I removed themes and...

I did it, and it just asks you if you want to remove the COD file for Dimension Icon and Today, then tells you that you have to restart.

I agree, the program works nice. I got rid of that silly VOD stuff
Old 07-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #9
erichall1

Default Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massonite View Post
I did it, and it just asks you if you want to remove the COD file for Dimension Icon and Today, then tells you that you have to restart.

I agree, the program works nice. I got rid of that silly VOD stuff

So in other words it definitely means I would lose my T-Mobile theme.

So I can't do it as I'm unwilling to give that up.

Wish I knew where I could grab that preloaded T-Mobile theme somewhere.

Anyway my Pearl 8120 responds fantastically now even with 8 or 9 apps running simultaneously including BB browser, google maps, Opera Mini browser, videos or music and nearly half dozen others running at the same time.

don't have to periodically reset Google Maps to free mem now.

Thanks for your response. I now know what not to do until I can find a file of the T-Mobile theme for 8120.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:56 AM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

There's always the good old fashioned, tried and trusted way:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ax-memory.html
Old 07-03-2008, 12:57 AM   #11
erichall1

It was also nice to get rid of those stupid gifs pictures used for assigning to contacts. those were ridiculous!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:59 AM   #12
berrycoder

Model: 8320
Carrier: Indosat

Thanks for trying BerryCoder apps.
We are currently composing FAQs and more complete procedure with picture.

For now I'll try to answer some questions regrading the MaxMem app.

MaxMem will always ask first for every cod that will be deleted so if you are not sure about it you can click 'no' and go to the next cod. This also applys to Delete Themes. When you click Remove Themes, it will ask you if you have back up the BB and the disclaimer thing, you can say yes to both. Next, MaxMem will ask you one by one the theme cod that you want to delete. So just press 'no' for the theme that you want to keep.

To restore all the cod files that have been deleted, you don't have to reinstall OS. you can just connect it to Desktop Manager and run the application loader.

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:00 AM   #13
infernox
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Used it and deleted the VAD and PTT. Works great. Did not delete my themes or MDS since I am on BES. I liked my themes and kept the only ones I wanted when I deleted my vendor list.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:04 AM   #14
erichall1

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrycoder View Post
Thanks for trying BerryCoder apps.
We are currently composing FAQs and more complete procedure with picture.

For now I'll try to answer some questions regrading the MaxMem app.

MaxMem will always ask first for every cod that will be deleted so if you are not sure about it you can click 'no' and go to the next cod. This also applys to Delete Themes. When you click Remove Themes, it will ask you if you have back up the BB and the disclaimer thing, you can say yes to both. Next, MaxMem will ask you one by one the theme cod that you want to delete. So just press 'no' for the theme that you want to keep.

To restore all the cod files that have been deleted, you don't have to reinstall OS. you can just connect it to Desktop Manager and run the application loader.

Thanks.
Thanks so much berrycoder, so do I still have to switch to Dimension Zen before using Remove Themes Option as I plan to keep T-Mobile theme which is active now and not delete it?

Last edited by erichall1; 07-03-2008 at 01:06 AM..
Old 07-03-2008, 01:10 AM   #15
berrycoder

Model: 8320
Carrier: Indosat

The idea to switch to your Dimension Zen theme first is to avoid any error if in process you accidently press 'yes' and delete your currently used theme. I have never tried it before but I think your blackberry might stuck in white screen or something.

But, yes you don't have to switch to Dimension Zen but becareful when you press the yes/no button, don't miss. :D
Old 07-03-2008, 02:15 AM   #16
erichall1

Default RIM Default Swiss Army Knife Theme?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrycoder View Post
The idea to switch to your Dimension Zen theme first is to avoid any error if in process you accidently press 'yes' and delete your currently used theme. I have never tried it before but I think your blackberry might stuck in white screen or something.

But, yes you don't have to switch to Dimension Zen but becareful when you press the yes/no button, don't miss. :D
If you delete your current theme a "swiss army knife" a RIM default is supposed to show up. But in the case of using MaxMem this might be deleted in my case on the 8120 if I were to delete this one: net_rim_theme_100_240x260_b 253292 bytes

I left that one and the one I wanted to keep: net_rim_tmo_five 469788 bytes and now my info in settings fo theme choice only lists BB Dimension Zen and T-Mobile, and does not list that third one (net_rim_theme_100_240x260_b 253292 bytes) that I did not delete.

Now, since I left 2 themes undeleted and BB Dimension is not a Choice it appears that on the 8120 net_rim_theme_100_240x260_b 253292 bytesis the "Swiss Army Knife" Theme which the blackberries are supposed to default to if the current theme is accidentally deleted. If I had deleted that one then if I ever were to delete the current theme it could be a big problem because the "hidden" RIM default would not be there.

berrycoder, you may wish to not make deleting the RIM Hidden "Swiss Army Knife" theme not an option as this would then be a much bigger problem for anyone who at any time in the future deletes their current theme than if that Swiss Army Knife theme is left. Then at least one can still navigate their BB with simple icons whereas if removed they would be screwed and a much bigger issue is to be dealt with.

I also noticed the Swiss Army Knife Theme is a much smaller file than the other Themes.

What does the Swiss Army Knife Theme Look like? The only way to know is to screw up and delete your current theme as it does not show up on the list of available themes in settings although it is there unless of course you delete it with Max Mem Remove Themes I would suggest that it is a good idea to leave it there.
It will appear something like this:
net_rim_theme_100_240x260_b 253292 bytes
depending on the model and screen size of the BB in question the numbers 240x260 would be different as I believe this 240x260 is the screen size in pixels of the Pearl so on another model the Curve for example these numbers would be different.
Does this sound right?
Myself I am going to leave this hidden (from settings options) theme.

If I am completely full of crap here about what I believe to have just figured out then please someone let me know.

Last edited by erichall1; 07-03-2008 at 02:26 AM..
Old 07-03-2008, 02:39 AM   #17
erichall1

Default 6.66 Megabytes Memory Freed

After Using the Theme Removal Option and gaining another .7 Megabytes I have now cleared a total of 6.66 Megabytes of extra free memory.
Fantastic!!!
And simple.
Thanks berrycoder!!

Last edited by erichall1; 07-03-2008 at 02:41 AM..
Old 07-03-2008, 04:13 AM   #18
Darmichar

Model: 8330
Carrier: Alltel

Just ran a test here and what I'm seeing is not what is presented.
I did the following:

1. Backed up my BB using Desktop Manager.
2. Ran MaxMem and removed VAD, MDS (I'm not on a BES), Media, and 2 of the default Themes (I actualy use the Today theme occasionally).
3. Did a battery pull/reset.
4. Restored the backup I initially made.
5. Did a battery pull/reset.

Everything that was removed by MaxMem DID NOT return with the restore. Maybe I did something wrong with the backup/restore, but not that I can see.

It's really no big deal to me, I didn't use any of the stuff that got removed. Just a heads up to those that are messing around that may delete something they actually need.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:25 AM   #19
zenartbb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmichar View Post
Just ran a test here and what I'm seeing is not what is presented.
I did the following:

1. Backed up my BB using Desktop Manager.

Everything that was removed by MaxMem DID NOT return with the restore. Maybe I did something wrong with the backup/restore, but not that I can see.
Did you use the standard backup, or did you do an advanced backup?
I think you actually have to do an advanced backup and make sure you are backing up every single module (not sure if the standard backup does this).

Please correct me if I am wrong, I am going to try this over the weekend and will report back.

Zen and the Art of BlackBerry
Old 07-03-2008, 04:32 AM   #20
Darmichar

Model: 8330
Carrier: Alltel

The way I read it, Advanced just allows you to backup/restore individual items instead of everything at once.
Perhaps I'm reading it wrong though.

Just noticed Options>About no longer works either.

Last edited by Darmichar; 07-03-2008 at 04:38 AM..
Closed Thread