BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
thatchmaster

Model: E62
Carrier: Cingular
Default BES users and protected AD domain groups

Please Login to Remove!

After learning from RIM (I'm a relatively new BES admin) that the reason I wasn't able to send mail from my blackberry was because anyone in protected domain groups loses the 'send as' permission for besadmin... I started searching around for an answer.

I've not come up with much other than to create a separate domain admin account for myself and use that for times when I need admin rights. This would be fine--but I always remote from one computer, accessing the same [XP] session remotely and locally. For this, admin rights are needed, and if I were to log in w/ an admin account, my non-admin account would be terminated.

Has anyone found a way around the patch on Exchange?

Here's what I'm referring to [if anyone doesn't know] :

(edit... it didn't let me post the link to the RIM knowledge base because I haven't made 10 posts yet. I'm sure you all know what I'm referring to, though)

When speaking with RIM, they basically gave me the "you're basically SOL on this because of MS's patch" line, and I know that's all they can do right now.

I do see why is a security risk (reason for the patch), but has anyone found a way around it?

I'm currently back on my Nokia E62 (was using a bb8100), using Cingular's BIS service so I can retain my domain admin account, and still send email from my corporate account. I have to sync w/ the Nokia desktop mgr to get my calendar, but it's certainly easier to do that than it is to have to go back to my desk when I need to reply to email. Still, this solution only provides me with an email dump every 15 minutes (not acceptable in my field).

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks,

Erik
Old 03-07-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
B4NFTR
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW
Default There are tons of other threads out there

Search the term: AdminSDHolder on BBForums and you'll see lots of discussions regarding this exact issue.

Personally I think creating two accounts is garbage. That is a work-around, not a solution.

I had success with running the dsacls command. Again, more details in the forum on other posts, but the command is: dsacls "cn=AdminSDHolder,cn=System,dc=domain,dc=com" /G "domain.com\BlackBerrySA:CA;Send As"
Old 03-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
mwilhelmy

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Check out :

support.microsoft.com/kb/907434/

This article list most workarounds.

Most mid-size companies (700-1000+ users) enforce the 2 accounts rules. One for your day to day and one for you administrative task. It's generally considered best practice.

Martin
Closed Thread