BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
gphantom

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: none
Default No connection to wifi on BB 9000 Bold 'anymore' (no green check)

Please Login to Remove!

I recently got a BB Bold 9000 and I was overjoyed. This is my first wifi phone and I was really looking forward to experience it.

In brief, the wifi on this phone worked for a whole day when I first got this. But on the second day, the wifi seems to connect but not access the internet. That is, I do get wifi in my network scans and I do get connected to it BUT 'there is no green check' in front of the wifi in the Network Connections.

Note that I do not have any data plans or GPRS on this network. I read on the forums that unless the Mobile network is connected to the BB enterprise servers, it cannot connect to Wifi.
-But then, how did my wifi work for two days when I never had any Data plans, nor any GPRS activated on this Mobile network at all. Also, it is an Unlocked phone.

I tried almost everything that are suggested on the forums, including 'battery pull' and manual/automated connections with the Router, with no luck.

Overall -

1 - I do not have any DATA plans, but my wifi worked for some time then why is that? Is there a way to use wifi without having GPRS/DP enabled?

2 - I do not have a green check in front of the wifi, even though it is connected to the Router (the SSID is written in brackets with the wifi).

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile
Default Re: No connection to wifi on BB 9000 Bold 'anymore' (no green check)

1. Because by default your phone comes [usually] with full service books, and these service books disappear when no data plan is active.

Not all carriers require you have a blackberry data plan to use wi-fi, but some do.

You will never get a green check if you don't have a blakcberry data plan. A green check means connection to BIS through wi-fi.

So, (you haven't said who your carrier is) theorectically, if the carrier doesn't require a data plan to use wi-fi, you should be able to, when changing the browser to HOTSPOT BROWSER use wi-fi, but it won't show a green tick.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 02-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
gphantom

i'm confused. this phone is unlocked so will it still require a dataplan with the service provide to allow me use wifi??

i came across a link that says "use wifi without a data plan".
How to browse internet on Blackberry phone using Wi-Fi without data plan with AT & T | eHow.com

"if the carrier doesn't require a data plan to use wi-fi, you should be able to, when changing the browser to HOTSPOT BROWSER use wi-fi"

I followed the above and still cannot browse. But I did find one thing relevant.

When i disable 'Data Services' in the Network options, i get the No internet access message Instantly when I enter a URL. But when i enable 'Data Services', entering the URL takes time to timeout and tell me that there is no internet access.

i'm grateful for the help Draven.

P.S, I use Mobilink Pre-paid on this phone. Location Pakistan
Old 02-24-2011, 03:46 AM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

That depends on YOUR CARRIER, not whether the phone is unlocked or not.

I don't know whether the carrier you state requires you to have a blackberry data plan to use wi-fi.

And turning Data services OFF, also turns wi-fi OFF completely, because wi-fi is a data service.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 02-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #5
gphantom

well i hear there has been some issue going on in our country right now, the agencies have blocked dataplans on BBs completely, because that would make them unable to trace e-mail or something, so dataplan = out of the line now.

I just want to know if there is a way to install applications/themes on the phone. because that is the only reason i want wifi.

I like a theme and i donwload the .JAD file; I copy it to the phone/sdcard, but it requires internet to download the full installation file and i don't have that.

is there a way to install these themes/apps in sort of an OFFLINE mode? I would really love to know how to do this.

thanks again for your help.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:57 AM   #6
DanishBoy

Carrier: Maxis

Me too, but after I change the Browser Configuration
1. Browser: Hotspot Browser
2. General Properties: Hotspot Browser

Then it turn green and tick the wifi connection and able to connect to internet using my wifi instead of my 3G Data plan...

on your internet browser press "u" button it will show either u r using 3G or Wifi Connection..

But again u need to turn on your "mobile Network Options" where;
1. Data Services : On <-

Thats it i got my wifi internet connection back....

:D
Closed Thread