BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 06:53 AM   #1
Argelius
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Default Any new full-QWERTY BB's in the works?

Please Login to Remove!

I tried out the 8700 several months ago and found the PIM part of the phone too much of step back from my years of using a Treo 650. I continue to be drawn to the BB, however.

Are there any reasonable hopes/rumors for the 8700-series* to get:

1. Significant enhancements to the PIM (calendar and Contacts) to bring them inline with Palm and WM5?

2. Camera

3. Memory card

4. Ability of email program to read HTML? (I found this odd, given that the BB is hailed as the ultimate email device, but it couldn't read HTML-formated emails).

(By "8700-series" I mean the form factor with the full QWERTY keyboard)

I'm very bored with my Treo, but at this point (for my purposes), the BB is missing too many features. (Please no flames -- I'm only speaking to what I want; not criticizing BB!)
Old 08-10-2006, 06:59 AM   #2
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argelius
1. Significant enhancements to the PIM (calendar and Contacts) to bring them inline with Palm and WM5?

Can you be more specific, what does Palm/WM5 have that BB doesn't?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
option94
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 21BFC0A1
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (Cingular 7130c: BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I agree that the palm and windows calendar's are better. Easier to read and keep track of. I don't agree with the contact manshment though. I also think RIM won't be changing thier's anytime soon.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
Argelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||
Can you be more specific, what does Palm/WM5 have that BB doesn't?
I know this is a whimpy response, but it's been too long since I last used a BB to remember the specifics of what I didn't like. Much of it, I believe, was largely aesthetics -- while the essential calendar and contacts information is there in the BB, the aesthetics of its presentation look "clunky" compared to Palm and WM5.

Can't recall -- how many calendar views does BB have? Do the contacts allow for both a home and work address?

Last edited by Argelius; 08-10-2006 at 12:05 PM..
Old 08-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

Quote:
I know this is a whimpy response, but it's been too long since I last used a BB to remember the specifics of what I didn't like. Much of it, I believe, was largely aesthetics -- while the essential calendar and contacts information is there in the BB, the aesthetics of its presentation look "clunky" compared to Palm and WM5.

Can't recall -- how many calendar views does BB have? Do the contacts allow for both a home and work address?

Yes, home and work. Anything that is in outlook really..
Old 08-10-2006, 12:26 PM   #6
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

Quote:
I tried out the 8700 several months ago and found the PIM part of the phone too much of step back from my years of using a Treo 650. I continue to be drawn to the BB, however.

2. Camera

3. Memory card

4. Ability of email program to read HTML? (I found this odd, given that the BB is hailed as the ultimate email device, but it couldn't read HTML-formated emails).

(By "8700-series" I mean the form factor with the full QWERTY keyboard)

I'm very bored with my Treo, but at this point (for my purposes), the BB is missing too many features. (Please no flames -- I'm only speaking to what I want; not criticizing BB!)
Check the other threads in this forum, RIM will be releasing the camera, and removeable storage complete with the mp3 goodies.. there is other information available around here to hint at what's coming. This fall as the devices are released should answer your questions.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
Argelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by headtailgrep
Check the other threads in this forum, RIM will be releasing the camera, and removeable storage complete with the mp3 goodies.. there is other information available around here to hint at what's coming. This fall as the devices are released should answer your questions.

I'd read about the BB Pearl (with camera and memory card), but it's got the funky SureType thing and I really want the full keyboard...
Old 08-10-2006, 09:54 PM   #8
dolo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon, Cingular

I read somewhere through the "stealth/pearl" threads of a rumored qwerty with the works coming out sometime in Q1 of CY07'.

I'd have to back track to find it, but I definitely read it here somewhere.

As to the validity behind it - YMMV.

However, RIM is targeting a different customer. Sure they have captured the business market but the multimedia consumer is quite different.

It wouldn't surprise me if RIM fired off these consumer based devices quickly without too much of delay. Make a splash and give the consumer options.

We'll know sooner then later.

Regards,
dolo
Old 08-14-2006, 04:54 PM   #9
allthumbs

If you also notice with the pearl phone coming out it does not have the click wheel. Has some sort of button on the front instead... I find that very interesting. If they can build one like the Pearl with Full Querty then they will really have something there... Sure Type stinks compared to FQ

PIN # 23D6DBDE
Old 08-14-2006, 07:14 PM   #10
Nickster248
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 2333C6FD
Carrier: Telus

Quote:

I do not believe that Software Developers will PIM software that compares to the status of Agendus and DateBK6 for Palm, or Pocket Informant for WM5, for quite some time. The closest I've been able to find is PocketDay. You can have a look at it here:

PocketDay

As for the camera, MP3 players, html mail, etc., unfortunately there are BB's on the horizon that reportedly have these 'features'.

BB PIN: 2333C6FD on a Torch 9800
Closed Thread