Old 11-21-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
Silversmok3
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default AT&T Curve vs Storm...

Please Login to Remove!

Stopped by the Verizon store to check out the Storm.

Judging by his solemn demeanor I'd say he's not too pleased at the Blackberry faithful lining up to test rather than buy the phone.

At any rate,onto the comparison!

Design:
The pictures do not serve this phone well.It would be wise to reserve judgement of the Storm until you can set eyes on it in person.

The slate back is remnicent of the grippy back of the Mororola KRZR,and the face is dominated by the revered touch screen.

If the BB Bold's screen is a ten,then a Curve's would rank about eight and a half.

The Storm fits in between the GSM phones in screen quality,but on the Storm there is much more real estate to work with.

Build:
The software is RIM's new UI layout,and what was bright and small(but still clear) on the Bold is now much,much larger.Big thumbs can live happily ever after with this phone.

The software's (and personally the entire Storm's ) downfall is the browsing experience.

You fire up the browser to be greeted by Verizon's not-so-lovely search engine.

I discovered that you can type in two ways;Either up-and-down on a virtual Sure-Type keyboard,or tilt the Storm horizontal to use a full qwerty.

And yes,the screen's feedback improves the phones typing ability.

What doesn't is the lag.

After a week of learning to type rapid-fire on my Curve's qwerty keypad,the Storms hesitation at entering letters was frustrating.Compared to the Curve its as if the Storm is second guessing your letter choice in the 2-seconds per character it takes to enter.

To boot once that process was done the Storm balked at loading Blackberry forums,and an attempt to tilt the Storm iPhone style to flip the page resulted in a painful lag episode.

Upon attempting to load a second forum thread the Storm went on strike,showing the infuriating hourglass as it stopped loading the page halfway.

I didn't need to pull out my Curve to know that even with EVDO the Storm would have lost to the EDGE phone on page load times.

Is all that to say that the Storm sucks?
Not at all,as I wasn't able to test the multimedia aspects of the phone or its email tools.

But I'm not trading in my Curve,and if you're considering Verizon service I'd stick to their 8800 or 8300 series devices until an official fix is issued for the software lag.
I would steer clear of the Storm.It appears to be a phone meant to keep Verizon touchscreen fans from jumping ship to AT&T for either the Bold or the iPhone,and in that respect It should do well.

But there's no compelling feature of the Storm that makes changing companies worth the hassle,especially if you have a 3G Blackberry.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:52 AM   #2
hnsimpson
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8310 AT&T)

The last line sums it up.

-simpson

-Young MC
Closed Thread