BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Finally! My duplicate email problem (no, not the simple gmail one) is resolved!!

Please Login to Remove!

I've been using my Blackberry VZW Pearl with BIS to access my company's Exchange email via IMAP since about November.

Some time in early January, I started getting duplicate emails on my work email account. If I forwarded or replied to an email, or even just set a reminder flag on it, the original email was re-sent to my blackberry. Like this:

* I received an email
* It appeared in outlook and on my blackberry
* I replied to, or flagged the message for follow-up, or forwarded it using Outlook
* The original message appeared again on my blackberry

It would even happen if I simply opened an email in Outlook for a few of minutes.

I had tried all sorts of things to fix it, things I thought of, suggestions from others here, spent a couple hours on the phone w/Verizon support, and none of them worked.

I was futzing around with this tonight after spending more frustrating time going through and removing dupes from my BB, and decided to delete and add my work email account again. I'd done that about 6 or 7 times already w/no change, but what the heck, I'm an optimist.

When I deleted and added my work email account, the VZW BIS site selected a different server than it had before.

Originally the BIS site had selected:

- mail.cce.companydomain.com

After dupes started arriving I manually changed to the server name below to see if that would help. It didn't, still got dupes.

- mail.companydomain.com

Today, when I deleted and re-setup my work email account on the VZW BIS site, it selected an entirely new and unknown (to me) server:

- https://sync.companydomain.com

Since this change about three hours ago, I've had zero dupes on my BB!

I don't know enough about exchange and BIS to know if the server name formats are "generic" across companies, but I was hoping that others having this very annoying duplicate email problem could try using a server name w/the above format to get the same relief.

Appreciate it if others w/more experience/expertize in this area could chime in - but it might be that if you are having this problem, you could try editing your Advanced Settings for your email account on your providers BIS site and set your server to https://sync.yourcompanydomain.com and see if it works/helps.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
Walter Mitty

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

did this ultimately resolve this issue. i am having the exact same issues.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:35 AM   #3
Walter Mitty

Changing the address to "sync" didn't work. We're trying a few new ideas with my IT department and hopefully we'll find a resolution!

Apparently, my exchange is changing the UID when my outlook forwards, replies, or follows-up an email. To be more specific, RIM sent me a test email with popped up in Outlook 2007 and on my BB. I responded in Outlook and then the original test email showed up agin in my BB. We then checked the REF (?) number somehow - i don't recall - of the two emails in my BB and although they were the same emails they have different REF numbers so the BB thinks they're different emails.

Any resident gurus have an explanation for that?

Last edited by Walter Mitty; 04-19-2008 at 06:40 AM..
Old 04-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130

Sorry my info didn't help, WM.

You've provided new background on the issues (the changing REF number) so that's a step forward. Good luck...
Old 04-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
Walter Mitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
Sorry my info didn't help, WM.

You've provided new background on the issues (the changing REF number) so that's a step forward. Good luck...
no problem. your posting definitely was helpful but unfortunately wasn't a solution. My IT guy is now setting up a sync.domain.com record to see if we can manually set this up. who knows!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
cmdace18
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330

any help with this????
Old 06-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
DragonDon

Carrier: Rogers

Just had this call, found out that teh UID of the message was being changed by Exchange. A workaround was to have the user integrate his BIS account with OWA.

Still no information on how to fix Exchange to stop changing the UID.

He was also using an outside company to filter email so we verified that hsi integration was pointing directly to his email server and not the spam filtering service servers.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:46 PM   #8
DragonDon

Carrier: Rogers

World's best free tool:

http://www.blackberry.com/support

Type in "duplicate emails" or "duplicate emails uid"(if you are on an Exchange server and you Exchange Admin can verify that there is only one copy of that email showing in you inbox)
Old 01-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #9
jpalmer1026

Model: storm

I have been experiencing this problem ever since I've owned the storm and haven't been able to fix it. Anyone have any luck fixing this?
Old 06-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
jwpboy3

Model: storm

Removing my POP config and replacing with OWA resolved my issue. My account was setup as POP by default after entering my email address and password. I couldn't just change my POP config to OWA. I had to remove the POP config on the storm and create a new config by entering a fake email and password to allow the setup to get to the other options. Once I did this, I selected business, entered the OWA URL and other info including mailbox name which I found in OWA.
Closed Thread