BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 11:30 PM   #81
zapalski

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel
Default My 7520

Please Login to Remove!

I have had a 7520 for over 3 years and still think it is the best phone out there. First off, I do not care to watch movies or take pictures. I am a lawyer that runs a multi-million dollar firm... all I care about is business. I use the PTT for over 2,000 minutes a month... I could not live without it. Sprint/Nextel is the only company with free incoming minutes which I use over 4,000 of. I have 4.1 on the phone the same software as the 8700 and 7100's. All my applications work. I have 4.3 mail that has everything (this is why blackberry is king! I have telnav, opera 4 beta, google maps, remote desktop connection ... all the same an 8300 would have. But the unmatched feature is the belt clip! The plastic belt clip of the 7520 is by far the best invention ever. One that is not replicated in any of the newer models (well at least I have not seen them ... my 7100i has a leather one that does not work as well). My only complaint is that the screen does not have the resolution the other models have and the CDMA does have faster internet. I own several other newer models and cannot leave the direct connect ... it is just too good.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:50 AM   #82
guruleenyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T/Sprint/Nextel

Wirelessly posted (NXTL7520: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

My "Government" Nextel rep just told me that there are no immediate plans for to release a Sprint/IDEN dual mode bb. However, there's a possibility in 12mo....

P.s. I dislike the 7100i a lot!

"Knowledge breeds confidence and confidence breeds success"
Old 06-24-2007, 08:42 PM   #83
europamo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
iden is a dead technology, don't expect anything new for it.
are you kidding me? Its not dead, its just one company (Sprint) has decided to kill it. there are many other carries worldwide (like 20 countries) that still use iDEN. Moto will still support the iDEN network.
Alexandre Dumas
Old 06-24-2007, 09:13 PM   #84
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by europamo View Post
are you kidding me? Its not dead, its just one company (Sprint) has decided to kill it. there are many other carries worldwide (like 20 countries) that still use iDEN. Moto will still support the iDEN network.
Earth to Europamo, yes it is. And once Sprint finally drops iden, expect Motorola to do the same. Time to move on to more modern technologies.

You remind me of the few that clung to DOS while the rest of the world had moved onto Windows.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:59 AM   #85
europamo

[QUOTE=ArgonNJ;578489]Earth to Europamo, yes it is. And once Sprint finally drops iden, expect Motorola to do the same. Time to move on to more modern technologies.

Alexandre Dumas

Last edited by europamo; 06-25-2007 at 08:23 AM..
Old 06-25-2007, 04:17 PM   #86
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

[quote=europamo;578665]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Earth to Europamo, yes it is. And once Sprint finally drops iden, expect Motorola to do the same. Time to move on to more modern technologies.

http://www.geocities.com/nyceuro/dude.jpg
actually thats a very well know deal IDEN is dead just no one wants to let it go. Nextel is dropping 300,000 customers a quarter to other carriers. Look at the development of new IDEN phones how many have hit the market in the past 9 months, 2 and they are both dual technologys. You will not see any further IDEN only phones produced anytime soon if at all.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:54 PM   #87
LineNoise
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

Let them leave, no more system busy errors for me

I consider ourselves on Nextel lucky enough that we even have BlackBerries.

If I didn't get on SERO when I switched jobs I'd have a Pearl on be on TMO right now.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #88
europamo

whats funny in all this, is that people consider only nextel as the only iden user, again read my post. clue: other countries use iden. moto will milk their network to its fullest, just like they milked the razr. they just dont make the handsets.

2nd, costs keep people from nextel. the vast majority want cheap free phones. I was a nextel customer from 2000-2006. It wasnt cheap, but they provided a specialized service that no others had.
Alexandre Dumas
Old 06-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #89
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by europamo View Post
whats funny in all this, is that people consider only nextel as the only iden user, again read my post. clue: other countries use iden. moto will milk their network to its fullest, just like they milked the razr. they just dont make the handsets.

2nd, costs keep people from nextel. the vast majority want cheap free phones. I was a nextel customer from 2000-2006. It wasnt cheap, but they provided a specialized service that no others had.
I was a nextel subscriber since the day they hit Georgia I loved my nextel. But the dropped calls and lousy CS I had to leave in January.

And these countries you keep talking about are all so insignificant, hell they will all just about fit inside the State of Texas lol
Old 06-25-2007, 11:28 PM   #90
Andyn

Model: BOLD
Carrier: AT&T / Verizon

I think you may see iden go by the wayside for enterprise subscribers. But Nextel is committed to iden for at least 6 more years and as our gov't reps stated Friday. It is most likely here to stay for Gov't because of its robust nature. Also here in the south, SolLinc is a major iden carrier that is here to stay. Most public safety if not all are tied to SoLinc here in Alabama.

www.twitter.com/SgtAndyNorris
Old 06-26-2007, 05:51 AM   #91
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Iden will be around for the government its been a long time plan since 911 to have a national communications. It was posted several years ago that the feds were going to buy the IDEN network from nextel. I actually posted several links to this fact a few weeks ago.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:12 AM   #92
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I was a nextel subscriber since the day they hit Georgia I loved my nextel. But the dropped calls and lousy CS I had to leave in January.

And these countries you keep talking about are all so insignificant, hell they will all just about fit inside the State of Texas lol
And I'm sure they would all be happy to know about your narrow, redneck-style point of view about their countries!

I mean, do you honestly think that MEXICO is that insignificant, or that the country could fit inside the state of Texas?

Although, to be fair, Mexicans are certainly making a good attempt at fitting themselves completely into Texas... and any other southwest state they can sneak into!

As for myself, I gave up on Nextel in December. I'd had my 7520 for nearly 2 years, it was getting really worn out (well, worn out DC button and broken antenna), and the 8700s had been on the market for a year, with no release of the Nextel 8702i (which WAS in development and initial beta testing, as confirmed on Nextel's website in spring '06) anywhere in sight. That, combined with the continual, steady decline of the quality of service on Nextel's iDen network, made my choice an easy one. In December, I gave myself the best Xmas gift I could... I switched to an 8700g on T-Mobile. Best decision I could've made. My monthly bill is lower, this BlackBerry is improved in almost every way compared to the 7520, and the MyFaves plan I'm on totally makes up for the loss of my Free Incoming plan... but then again, I only regularly talk to about 4-5 people anyway. At least 95% of my calls are to the same 4-5 numbers, so that plan's perfect for me.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 06-27-2007, 06:25 AM   #93
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
And I'm sure they would all be happy to know about your narrow, redneck-style point of view about their countries!

I mean, do you honestly think that MEXICO is that insignificant, or that the country could fit inside the state of Texas?

Although, to be fair, Mexicans are certainly making a good attempt at fitting themselves completely into Texas... and any other southwest state they can sneak into!

As for myself, I gave up on Nextel in December. I'd had my 7520 for nearly 2 years, it was getting really worn out (well, worn out DC button and broken antenna), and the 8700s had been on the market for a year, with no release of the Nextel 8702i (which WAS in development and initial beta testing, as confirmed on Nextel's website in spring '06) anywhere in sight. That, combined with the continual, steady decline of the quality of service on Nextel's iDen network, made my choice an easy one. In December, I gave myself the best Xmas gift I could... I switched to an 8700g on T-Mobile. Best decision I could've made. My monthly bill is lower, this BlackBerry is improved in almost every way compared to the 7520, and the MyFaves plan I'm on totally makes up for the loss of my Free Incoming plan... but then again, I only regularly talk to about 4-5 people anyway. At least 95% of my calls are to the same 4-5 numbers, so that plan's perfect for me.

I can do with out the stereotypical name calling. And I said will just about. Yes I do think Mexico is is second rate country if it was suchj agreat place they wouldnt all be trying to get here.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:53 AM   #94
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Yes I do think Mexico is is second rate country if it was suchj agreat place they wouldnt all be trying to get here.
x2.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:50 PM   #95
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

I liked my 7520 and my free incoming, but that thing is giant and I wanted faster internet. I am in the process of switching my users out to t-mobile. And we are Gov. I too started switching in Dec when it became apparent that Nextel wasn't going to be coming out with the 8700. I am now on an 8800 and loving it. I still have a few hold outs, but I will eventually pry their 7520's from them
BES 4.1
Old 07-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #96
Gooddog
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A

According to my Sprint sales team, there will be NO new Nextel BB's released. Sprint will be using qchat for PTT and new BB w/PTT will be Sprint devices that will use qchat which will be able to talk to existing iDEN PPT Devices. Qchat will be released sometime late 2007/early 2008.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:19 PM   #97
chesterhound

Model: 7100i
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Nextel
Default Still Love Nextel!!

I just switched back to Nextel after trying Sprint for 6 months. I had the Sprint PocketPC. First of all, Nextel still offers the unique 2-way feature on a scale no one else does. When coupled with BlackBerry, it is the best way to stay in touch with everyone. Free incoming is awesome and the other rate plans Nextel/Sprint offers are indeed competitive with other carriers.
Secondly, I belive Sprint is not killing the Nextel side. They are still putting up new towers and improving coverage for Nextel. I have fewer dropped calls now than I did 6 months ago with my Nextel.
If multimedia is your thing, Nextel can't compete. But as for data and connecting with people, it is superior.
I am happy with my 7100i and glad I came back to Nextel.

chesterhound
Old 07-17-2007, 10:44 PM   #98
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

I was recently in a meeting where I specifically asked about a new Nextel BlackBerry. The answer was what I have been saying for a long time. There is no new Nextel BlackBerry planned. It was predicted that a Sprint BlackBerry with Nextel Direct Connect might happen in the future, but no time frame was given.

There is no doubt that Nextel Direct Connect is by far the best option around. Too bad that they are now 2-3 generations behind in the BlackBerry department.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread