Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 02:43 PM   #101
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

No you are correct in posting the stories, I am just saying my knowledge about the topic thats all. These things are like my source's source's friend who knows an engineer at motorola, or verzion type things. They are rarely accurate because Verizon is even escalating trouble tickets on the Q something they absolutly do not do unless the device is close to launch. Also the rate plans policies will definatly not change whatsoever in terms of unlimited data usage etc. They are greedy but not that stupid it just doesn't even make sense you know? Also in regards to the slingbox if your not using it hands on how could they know? They simply just said oh limited data usage and were looking at a slingmobile page hmmm that wont work lets put that in the story! Q is very solid, and stable although keys should be softer and a little bigger they are still much better than the treo650 and there has been too much time and $$$ invested in this device. They can't redo it or it will be the MPx.

The Boy Genius Report
Old 04-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #102
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

New Q topic Genius, what in the world happened to the duel hinged Mpx???
Old 04-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #103
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

They wasted too much time and money on it. They changed hardware specs and couldn't get it to run fast enough. Every other windows mobile 2003 device at the time had more memory, it had only 32MB total for storage and RAM. so it gave you about 9MB free at bootup...sick design though...I loved it

The Boy Genius Report
Old 04-10-2006, 04:30 PM   #104
Macfreak

Model: 8700

Sorry ... more questions for boygenius about 8700 versus Q

But first just let me say Thank You for all your great posts here!

Not many people talk about phone features such as true recognition voice dialing and this feature is really important to me.

That being the case I was sure the Motorola Q was what I wanted for my next phone. (Currently using a V710 and Tungsten T3 - want to combine, plus have email)

But .. I have read both your and others comments about the keyboard of the Q not being that great.

I am curious if you would consider the Q's keyboard usable for short notes?
Is it bad enough that I should consider giving up the voice dialing feature and switch to something like the Blackberry 8700?

If that's the case do you have any idea if/when Verizon is going to get the 8700?

My priorities are - 1) phone usability 2) email 3) to do list and notes and 4) calendar

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 04-10-2006, 05:44 PM   #105
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Voice dialing on Q is just the same as a lot of other verizon phones like the v710 etc, in my opinion it is the best voicedialing I have ever tried (not just Q but verizon's) so that is a great feature. Keyboard is definatly usable, when comparing the 8700 keyboard I would take 8700, but Q keyboard will get you by with emails and texting, definatly. Sounds like the Q may be right for you...phone on the Q is GREAT speakerphone is amazing, and people constantly tell me that I am on my home phone, reception and quality of the Q is fantastic

The Boy Genius Report
Old 04-27-2006, 07:47 PM   #106
RxistKJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Thumbs down Verizon Unlimited Data Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by boygenius
Also Verizon will NOT be limiting any type of data usage on the Q it is a normal PDA plan just like for the treo700 44.95 unlimited a month I believe. ...
Not entirely true according to Verizon's fine print:

"Unlimited PDA/Smartphone and BlackBerry® Plans:
xxx65279;Data sessions may be used for following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force and field service automation. Intranet access requires the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.). Unlimited plans are for individual use only and not for resale. The Unlimited plans cannot be used: (1) for any applications that tether the device to laptops, PCs, or other equipment for any purpose, (2) for uploading, downloading or streaming of movies, music or games, (3) with server devices or with host computer applications other than the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, including, without limitation, Web camera posts or broadcasts, continuous jpeg file transfers, automatic data feeds, telemetry applications, automated functions or any other xxx65279;machine-to-machine applications, (4) as substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections.
Data sessions automatically terminate after two hours of inactivity unless used with a Mobile IP-capable device. We reserve the right to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone who uses the Unlimited plan in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term."

See it here for complete agreement details: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...tail&catId=329

Quote:
...Also the rate plans policies will definatly not change whatsoever in terms of unlimited data usage etc. They are greedy but not that stupid it just doesn't even make sense you know?
Greedy...yes, Stupid...No, Facist...yes. I agree there are many antecdotal stories about Verizon limiting service from inactivating data services to disabling bluetooth functionality (see the class action lawsuit here:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/f...tices/v710.jsp ) But their own service agreement certainly does lend truth to some of those stories.

Quote:
...Also in regards to the slingbox if your not using it hands on how could they know?
By flagging accounts who have unusally high data packet download. They may or may not be able to pinpoint Slingbox as the culprit, but they themselves state that they reserve the right to terminate service, "whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels". In my opinion, that is their politically correct way of saying downloading too much data will get you booted off our network because we're losing money on your usage. Instead, Verizon wants their users to purchase supplemental plans in addition to the unlimited data plans. With regards to Slingbox, why would Verizon knowingly relinquish their ability to generate revenue from their own network of mobile content, V-CAST:

"We have no immediate plans to run that service," says Jeffrey Nelson, spokesman for Verizon Wireless, the country's second-largest carrier. "What runs on our network are our services." Forbes article here:
http://www.forbes.com/intelligentinf...7slingbox.html

Again, IMHO all carriers will limit functionality in one way or another and unfortunately, we are the ones that pay for it.

Sorry for the long rant...I've stated my peace

Old 04-28-2006, 12:13 AM   #107
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Ok first off...no no and no. I have literally downloaded GB's of data monthly from verizon and have never heard of anyones service being terminated. Second there are many people using slingbox right now including me, verizon isnt blocking anything at the moment...

The Boy Genius Report
Old 04-28-2006, 04:35 AM   #108
RxistKJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wink No,No, and No?

Quote:
Ok first off...no no and no. I have literally downloaded GB's of data monthly from verizon and have never heard of anyones service being terminated. Second there are many people using slingbox right now including me, verizon isnt blocking anything at the moment...
No, No, and No? Are links to Verizon's own contract terminology and a Forbes article not credible? The fact that Verizon has lost a class action lawsuit for disabling bluetooth, the fact that if you want to use a 700w as a modem for a laptop via USB cable requires an additional data plan, the fact that Verizon does not allow you to use a 700w as a modem via Bluetooth because they have disabled the profile is not enough to arouse suspicion around Verizon's data limitations?

How about an antecdotal post from a Treo PDANet user:
http://mytreo.net/downloads/modules....etails&lid=602

or an EVDOForum post here:
http://www.evdoforums.com/about1303.html

another one:
http://www.evdoforums.com/about1004.html (includes copy of Verizon letter which I do not claim to be authentic or fraudulent:
http://www.5starday.com/mike/vzw.jpg )

Or perhaps Verizon is slowly learning as reported by your stomping ground EngadgetMobile:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/02/v...om-cellphones/

Verizon may not be blocking anything at the moment with Slingbox but it wouldn't surprise me if it occured in the near future considering their history. Moreover, why would Verizon allow a user to obtain a free CBS television show via Slingbox Mobile when they recently signed a contract with CBS to sell content via their proprietary V-Cast subscription model? What am I missing?

Anyway, if Slingbox Mobile does happen to get blocked by Verizon or if your service gets flagged or terminated by Verizon for excessive data usage, will you send me the Motorola Canary you posted a picture of on EngadgetMobile? (lol)
Old 04-28-2006, 08:17 AM   #109
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

RxistKJ- Genius is right on the money usually I wouldn't get to caught up details with him. He's usually delivers on his information...
Old 04-28-2006, 12:25 PM   #110
cman6453
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130c
Carrier: Cingular

Boy G - Will the Q be eventually trickling down to GSM format (Cingular)?
Old 04-28-2006, 01:39 PM   #111
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Q is slated for release 3rd week of June on Verizon, and Verizon has a 6-month exclusive. Look for the Q on Cingular before Christmas this year. In response to RxistKJ, your not even worth responding to. Until you get a Q and use it like I use it, WITH slingbox, downloading thousands of files a month, and never had any problem with Verizon, please dont comment. You have provided useless information to this thread. You are the weakest link. Goodbye.

The Boy Genius Report
Old 04-28-2006, 10:12 PM   #112
RxistKJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default The "genius" hurts my feelings

Quote:
Q is slated for release 3rd week of June on Verizon, and Verizon has a 6-month exclusive. Look for the Q on Cingular before Christmas this year. In response to RxistKJ, your not even worth responding to. Until you get a Q and use it like I use it, WITH slingbox, downloading thousands of files a month, and never had any problem with Verizon, please dont comment. You have provided useless information to this thread. You are the weakest link. Goodbye.
Well, you certainly are entitled to your opinion backed up by antecdotes, as opposed to reliable sources. It's clearly evident you choose to accept the idle worship others project onto you as gospel and make this healthy debate personal by attacking me. Instead of supporting your opinions by verifiable evidence, you decide to throw a tantrum "No, No, and No" and state your mobile circle's personal experiences with Slingbox. The irony is, you attack others when they share their personal experiences with Verizon as merely antectodal...the term hypocrite comes to mind. Or perhaps you're on Verizon's payroll?

On top of that, you choose to take this healthy debate we were having to a personal level by insulting me. I never took it to that level so I guess the "boy" needs to grow up.

I'm sure many of your followers swallow your kool-aid and will flame me for my response...oh well.

I always thought the purpose of a forum was to have an arena to openly share, and learn from, personal experiences but I guess hyper-inflamed egos will always prevail. By the way, when you want to write you are, the correct abbreviatiation is you're, not "your".

Have a nice weekend.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:20 PM   #113
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

This is the second thread that I have had to close today because everyone cannot keep a professional and relaxed atmosphere. This disappoints me very much.

**thread closed**