BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:17 AM   #1
Cartell
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default Should I leave my TREO 750 for BB 8700???

Please Login to Remove!

So i have a Treo 750 with all goodies. I have good mobile with exchange email free for life as well as free data, sms etc... with the treo. Should i leave the treo for a blackberry?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:20 AM   #2
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

Depends, are you sick of having to reboot your treo 7 times a day? hehe kidding. Seriously though I have the 8700 and it's by far the best mobile device I've had a chance to use. I think you'd enjoy it. You could always try it out for a few days.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:22 AM   #3
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Looks like you've made somewhat of a decision: http://www.blackberryforums.com/buy-...-included.html
Old 12-19-2006, 08:23 AM   #4
Cartell
No longer Registered.

i have tried many devices so far. the tmobile dash seems really good as long as you have the bb conenct installed. i like the treo due to the foam factor but heard many things about the blackberry. just concered a little. i know i can get the data for free and get the 8700 half price. to be honest the treo 750 is really stable. no problems with it whats so ever
Old 12-19-2006, 08:24 AM   #5
Cartell
No longer Registered.

your talking about my girls friends blackberry. i have never used the pearl. would never use it either due to the sure type. im asking because the bb 8700 dont support much due to rims lack of technology
Old 12-19-2006, 09:04 AM   #6
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c

Not sure how stable the os is in the treo or the quality of the device. I tried it with the 650? or something in a store and didn't like the keypad as much as the 7290 I was using at the time. I don't like the 8700c's keypad as much as I did the 7290 but it is a much better phone.

If you're using third party software, you should check to see if a BB version is available. The BB doesn't do html email or full sync with pop/imap accounts. The gmail and yahoo (non-cingular) accounts will also give you instant email. Forget multimedia unless you're looking at the Pearl, I'm not sure what that does as it isn't an option for me without the QWERTY keypad.

The BB is built well and has good battery life with the extended battery; the standard battery would be dead on me twice a week and I recharge every night. The instant email to a coprorate BES works very well. If you can live with text only email, no Pocket Office type applications and limited (when compared to Palm/WM platform) third party software it is a good choice. I have a 8700c with espell, PocketDay, ideaMatrix and todoMatrix as programs I use daily and was able to carry it as my only PDA leaving my iPaq behind.

If I had a choice in accessing corporate email however, I'd probably had a WM device like the 8525 that does HSDPA.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:07 AM   #7
Cartell
No longer Registered.

thats why i had the tmobile dash as a beta and like it alot. the bb connect was great as well. maybe ill just keep the treo since thats all i basically have had to use
Old 12-19-2006, 09:37 AM   #8
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbblc
Depends, are you sick of having to reboot your treo 7 times a day? hehe kidding. Seriously though I have the 8700 and it's by far the best mobile device I've had a chance to use. I think you'd enjoy it. You could always try it out for a few days.
Had the 600, and 650. The volatility of both was remarkeable. I had to do frequent resets. Whereas I have had to do none (other than when installing new programs) on either of my BB's.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:50 AM   #9
Cartell
No longer Registered.

what is the best blackberry to get?
Old 12-19-2006, 10:55 AM   #10
IanHummel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Wow, I can tell you haven't been around for a while. Why don't you take a look at the various models sub-forums on this site and read up on which would suit your needs the best. I don't think anyone on this board is going to be able to give you a definitive answer to this question.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #11
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanHummel
Wow, I can tell you haven't been around for a while. Why don't you take a look at the various models sub-forums on this site and read up on which would suit your needs the best. I don't think anyone on this board is going to be able to give you a definitive answer to this question.
Thats true. You best bet first is to decide which plan provider you want to go with or are with. Go to the Blackberry website and do a side by side comparison to determine which models have the options you are looking for. Then look at the model number sub-forums like IanHummel said to get a hands on take for each model. Blackberry with give you the product info while the forums will give you the empirical data to go along with it.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:55 AM   #12
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c

Generally I'd agree with the pick the carrier before the device, but not with the blackberry. Of course you need to make sure the carrier offers service where you're going to use the phone. Let's assume you live in an area where you can pick from Cingular, Verizon, Sprint or T-Mobile.

For the BB, you need to decide what features you want. SureType or QWERTY. If it's QWERTY, do you plan to tether, if so you'd probably want to look at Sprint and Verizon first since you'll get EVDO speed. Do you want the features added in the Pearl, then you have T-Mobile and Cingular. Do you want GPS built in, they you have to look at the Sprint/Nextel.

Beforey ou do any of that, you need to make sure any of the Treo Applications you really need are available in the BB. If you need to edit office documents or view attachments, there are available services for the BB but these alone could add $300 and a yearly subscription cost.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:05 AM   #13
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I'd still recommend selecting your carrier first if the Blackberry will be your only device. Coverage still matters more above all else if you use the voice features.

However, if tethering or built-in GPS are must-have's then they really are exceptions to the above.

In any case, selecting a carrier will narrow down your options for you. At that stage, you're pretty much deciding on SureType versus full qwerty and maybe whether or not you want the new features of the Pearl if you're looking at Cingular or TMO.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:15 AM   #14
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

I've been using a Treo 750v (unlocked Vodafone) for a week or so now, replacing my Pearl. There are things I like about it, and then there are things I absolutely hate about it. Email on this device is par, at best (I consider most email features on BlackBerry exceptional). Migrating from BlackBerry to BlackBerry Connect, in terms of Desktop interaction, was a pain the arse. First, you have to uninstall all-things-BlackBerry on your PC prior to installing the BlackBerry Connect software. Even at that point, I had to remove entries in the registry before it finally picked up the device.

Anyhow, in terms of the device, it's heavy. I believe someone said in the past that this was the smallest and lightest Treo to date - wow, that really sucks. The UI is very slow at times. For example, it takes more than a few seconds to start the camera. Speaking of, in comparison of the Pearl versus the 750v on camera quality, it's about a tie. Both are the same resolution and both absolutely suck in some situations.

Typing on the Treo is much more complicated than the BlackBerry. If anyone wants to argue this point with you, don't listen to them. Even the SureType keyboards are easier than the Treo's itty-bitty keys that seem to take more pressure to push them in (this is not a good thing when you type a lot).

Lastly, for now, the speakerphone on the Treo is worse than the Pearl but better than the 8700. Also, it seems that Palm doesn't come out with as many updates and fixes for the Treo, unlike RIM who are constantly addressing issues.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #15
tdhood

Model: 8700C

I've just made the move from the Treo 650 to the 8700c. I started with the Treo 600 shortly after they were introduced (2003?) & have been using the Treo 650 for the past two years.

To their credit, the modern Treos are way up the alpha-geek scale. The idea of carrying an all-in-one device is very appealing - phone, pda, e-mail, internet, mp3 player.

The Palm developer community is huge & the breadth of 3rd-party applications is staggering. Thanks to the historic stance that companies have taken regarding employees' PDAs (We ain't paying for it!), the software is dirt cheap.

So, given these advantages, why would a card-carrying Treo fanboy like me voluntarily switch to Blackberry? In a word: stability. The Treo, while a worthy jack of all trades, is at heart only a master of the PDA functions. It's disconcerting to have your phone spontaneously reboot while in the middle of a call. It's frustrating (& can be career-limiting) fiddling with desktop redirector software to get your Outlook email. It's tiresome to be tethered to an AC outlet every night.

I've had the 8700c for 2 weeks and can already see that I will not go back to the Treo. The Blackberry doesn't reach as far & consequently hits its intended target: a business e-mail tool that packs a top-knotch phone in the same package. I was dissapointed by the seemingly rudimentary PDA functionality - but a quick OS upgrade & application of the Dimension Today theme bring it up to my level of expectation.

The only thing I haven't found that I'm really looking for is a Blackberry version of KeyCaps650 - which allow double-taps to produce ALTed characters.

tdh
Old 12-20-2006, 07:50 PM   #16
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhood
It's tiresome to be tethered to an AC outlet every night.
This is one thing that I forgot to mention. My 8700g gave me no less than 3-4 days worth of battery life on a heavy spread. The Pearl was giving around 4-6 days on average. This 750v has given me roughly 1.5 days of battery life on a good day. Today marks the first time in about a decade that I actually ran out of battery life. Incredible...
Old 12-20-2006, 08:24 PM   #17
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartell
what is the best blackberry to get?
They are all great! There is model for just about every need. However after I've read your posts here I wonder why you want to leave what you are portraying as a great Treo?

Then you write "im asking because the bb 8700 dont support much due to rims lack of technology". Seems like you are starting out with a negative attitude towards BlackBerry. Why switch?

My experience with several Treo's and a Moto Q was one of freezes and re-sets, and regular bouts of instability. A waste of time that I found unacceptable.

Now that I have moved to BlackBerry and found it's a terrific time saver, I will never go back to Treo or WM5 devices. I have not had any problems whatsoever with the 3 BlackBerry's. However for me it's about getting things done and remaining in contact via email with my clients that is of high priority. That's why BlackBerry is the choice of business users.

I have no interest in music (already have an iPod) or camera, as most camera phones take grainy, poor pictures.

My BlackBerry has more than paid for itself from the amount of work it has allowed me to do from remote locations. It's also cut down the amount of time in the office, a great benefit. Due to the terrific stability and reliability I can relax knowing there will be no wasted time as it just works period.

Cheers...
Old 12-20-2006, 11:29 PM   #18
TAP

Model: 8703e

Throw the Treo in the trash and run screaming toward the BB. You won't regret it!!!!

I was a Treo user for several years and I now have the 8703e with VZW and I'm very pleased.
Closed Thread