BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Default what can u save on microsd card?

Please Login to Remove!

i know u can save mp3, video, pix on the microsd card. but can u install apps and email message on it? if of it would be sweet and save memory on the rom and thus it can run more apps with any hour glass.

if not, rimm should think seriously about these features!!!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

u can nt instal apps or stor email mesages onto the card. rimmm prides itself on security and the memry card culd be stolen with mesages on it.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:25 PM   #3
had2haveit
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

You can store email attachments on the card also. But if you were able to run apps of the chip that would take away the interchangeability.

I think there is plenty of room for apps anyways. I've had over 20 programs on mine and usually 6-10 games and I never ran outta space.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
silverxbaby
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by had2haveit View Post
You can store email attachments on the card also. But if you were able to run apps of the chip that would take away the interchangeability.

I think there is plenty of room for apps anyways. I've had over 20 programs on mine and usually 6-10 games and I never ran outta space.

How does one do this?
Old 10-26-2007, 11:29 PM   #5
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by had2haveit View Post

u think 54MB is enuff memory? i want u to say that to my face 2 yrs from now.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:32 PM   #6
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
u can nt instal apps or stor email mesages onto the card. rimmm prides itself on security and the memry card culd be stolen with mesages on it.
bullcrap...i dont believe it. if rimm pride itself on security...then they should come up with this solutions and implement some type of encrption...seriously there isn't much more to improve beside 3g bb and if rimm dont do it...palm or ms (they already did this on my pocket pc) will do and blow rimm competition away.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:49 PM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Please send your concerns to [email address]. Good luck.

Is Palm still in business?
Old 10-27-2007, 04:59 AM   #8
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Please send your concerns to [email address]. Good luck.

Is Palm still in business?
yup...got bought out by elevation partners (investment firm, bono is one of the partners). they will come out with a new os to compete with rimm.

Last edited by vincentnyc; 10-27-2007 at 05:07 AM..
Old 10-27-2007, 05:44 AM   #9
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830

Being that you've been registered on this site for so long, you would think you would know that you can't do what you're looking for on the microSD cards.

Not being an ass, but you sound like you don't like RIM. If you don't like the way they're doing what they're doing, then move away from BBs and go on with your pocket pc. Staying around with a BB and being on a BB message board just to basically flame the manufacturer doesn't make too much sense.

Who cares if Bono is one of the partners of Elevation Partners? Is that supposed to be mentioned to impress? Because it doesn't, at least to me.

As had2haveit said, the memory available is plenty to run programs, I have installed and ran several and had no problems, and you can't tell this guy "you wanna say that to my face 2 yrs from now"...because it will be 2 years from now, we all know things will change in that timeframe. Most likely there will not be 64MB BBs, but bigger.

Geez, didn't mean to rant, but it gets me when some people bash the place/product they're in.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:52 AM   #10
DJChew
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: Rogers

1. Palm? Meh

2. It is RIM, not rimm. RIMM is the stock symbol.

3. I am sure that the flash memory that is built into the device is much faster than an SD Card. You would not likely want to run an app from an SD card.

4. Security.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:39 AM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Palm is dead. Microsoft is the only competitor to RIM. Great story from Microsoft. Bill Gates asked all of his senior team why all his friends carried BlackBerrys. They are struggling with RIM also.

Check out RIM's stock price. Then take into account the 6 for 1 stock split. Then look at PALM - and recall they did a 1:20 (reverse) split.

Palm is dead. Not coming back. Jeff Hawkins sold out.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:21 PM   #12
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrcncp View Post
Being that you've been registered on this site for so long, you would think you would know that you can't do what you're looking for on the microSD cards.

Not being an ass, but you sound like you don't like RIM. If you don't like the way they're doing what they're doing, then move away from BBs and go on with your pocket pc. Staying around with a BB and being on a BB message board just to basically flame the manufacturer doesn't make too much sense.

Who cares if Bono is one of the partners of Elevation Partners? Is that supposed to be mentioned to impress? Because it doesn't, at least to me.

As had2haveit said, the memory available is plenty to run programs, I have installed and ran several and had no problems, and you can't tell this guy "you wanna say that to my face 2 yrs from now"...because it will be 2 years from now, we all know things will change in that timeframe. Most likely there will not be 64MB BBs, but bigger.

Geez, didn't mean to rant, but it gets me when some people bash the place/product they're in.
i got 8310 curve, my company only uses bb (in the ny office anyway), got some $$$ in rimm stocks. i criticized cuz that is the only way to improve on a product. accepting stuffs just the way it is wont fly with me. but sorry, i expect more from rimm than some of u guys.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #13
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

They send RIM a well worded and thoughtful e-mail with your requirements.

Also, try and convince your carrier that these are items you think are important, as their voice carriers a lot more weight than individuals.

And do not use IM-speak, as it does not come across well.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #14
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
They send RIM a well worded and thoughtful e-mail with your requirements.

Also, try and convince your carrier that these are items you think are important, as their voice carriers a lot more weight than individuals.

And do not use IM-speak, as it does not come across well.
fine...i will do that..send them an email.

lol @ im-speak. this is a forum...not a work place. i can write proper and stuff...but i dont have to..this is not the office. i come here to relax and discuss bb stuff witht u guys.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:47 PM   #15
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Calling Galvatron...
Old 10-27-2007, 10:13 PM   #16
Jerremiah

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Red face Please say you're joking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post
i got 8310 curve, my company only uses bb (in the ny office anyway), got some $$$ in rimm stocks. i criticized cuz that is the only way to improve on a product. accepting stuffs just the way it is wont fly with me. but sorry, i expect more from rimm than some of u guys.
Not necessarily fair to criticize RIM to "improve" on a product that currently stands hands down as the best mobile business solution on the market. If anything, why not criticize MS for it's sad and sluggish WM6 mobile platform? I had a BB 8700g, then to Palm 680, then to HTC Touch (WM6 pro), and now back to home turf with 8320. The BB OS is simply flawless. Palm was my second best until they gave in to the dark side.

Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:24 PM   #17
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm

I think it's more than fair for people to say what features they would like to see on the device. I know I would like to see better uses for the memory card (saving/storing emails to it, opening docs from it, etc..) A lot of people were poo-pooing the camera for a long time saying it's a security thing, and look what we have now. A camera. As RIM keeps going for consumers, I wouldn't be surprised if RIM does come up with better uses for the mem card in the future.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:51 PM   #18
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

RIM is absolutely growing in the consumer area - according to their sales figures for the last quarter, consumer sales now account for 30% of the total, which is up a couple of percentage points from the prior quarter.

BES IT Policies do allow you to disable the camera.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:00 AM   #19
DJChew
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: Rogers

I do not see saving messages to an SD card as something that will likely ever be done. Far too much work for little payoff.

If anything, running apps from the SD Card is morel ikely, and apps a generally much larger than a lot of emails.

I have never seen anyone run out of space on a BB from anything other than apps, themes, ring tones and pictures.
Themes and Apps are all that remains of those things that in not possible to run off the SD card at this time.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:35 AM   #20
dirtypirate
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 0.7 Red Ink
Carrier: Slave by Contract to AT&T

Good rid-dons palm.
Closed Thread