Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
Getsmacked

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Default Problem with the Curve

Please Login to Remove!

I just purchased the curve and this phone is honestly the most complicated phone i've ever used. I had WM Pocket PC before this one and everything was just much easier. my first problem is that i cant put any ringtones on the phone. the media manager always tells me that i dont have enough disk space but i know i do..i even erased the blackberry video that comes with the phone so i know i have enough space for 1:30 of a song. Another problem I have is that i cant login to myspace or ebay. I'm definetly not good with phones but things like putting ringtones on shouldnt be so complicated...or maybe its just me. please help!
Old 08-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
mishycupcakes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular

Funny, when I first got my 8700c, I thought it was one of the most convenient phones, ever.

Do you have a micro SD card inserted? I'm not sure how to get ringtone onto the phone manually; mine have always just gone to the ringtones menu.

I have no problem with logging into Myspace (haven't tried Ebay). Are you using the regular internet browser?
Old 08-11-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Getsmacked

Carrier: att

yeh im using the browser that came with the phone cant login anywhere
Old 08-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
mishycupcakes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular

What do you mean by you can't log in? The page is not loading? There are no log-in places? You can't fill in the log-in box?
Old 08-11-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
AlexKidd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getsmacked View Post
my first problem is that i cant put any ringtones on the phone. the media manager always tells me that i dont have enough disk space but i know i do.. i even erased the blackberry video that comes with the phone so i know i have enough space for 1:30 of a song.
I bet this is because you're downloading an MP3 of > 2.86MB. (Thanks John Clark for this info in the other thread!) For a ringtone, open the sound up in an editor and chop it down to a reasonable size (who's phone rings for 3 minutes before going to voicemail anyway? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getsmacked View Post
Another problem I have is that i cant login to myspace or ebay. I'm definetly not good with phones but things like putting ringtones on shouldnt be so complicated...or maybe its just me. please help!
Need more details on the web thing. If you have an unlocked AT&T using it on T-Mobile, there are known issues. Some have had luck changing out the OS to the O2 version to fix their problems, others have been able to use AT&T out of the box without trouble. It seems to be random.

Personally, I am having a new problem with mine not working as well - even my T-Zones icon stopped working. Luckily for me, I installed Opera Mini before it stopped and I can still access the web from there. I do plan to get this working though before my return period is up. I might be forced to wait out the time for the T-Mobile version which has been announced in another thread in this forum. Sounds tastey!

--Kidd
Old 08-15-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
J

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I bet u think u aren't logged into myspace because it is bringing you to the advertisement page first, look for skip this advertisement link/tab and it should bring you "home"

Does anyone have or know about the myspacemobile? Just saw it available in the paper i got in the mail. Seemingly it doesn't seem as though it is something for the curve. Not sure what it is, but we can get to myspace from our browser anyhow.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

@smacked: Wow - can't understand this. I'm a geek from way back, and I've used WM for about 18 mos on my T-Mobile MDA - but I NEVER found it convenient, despite trying all sorts of today screen replacements and add-ins. Just way too cumbersome to do standard tasks, like making a phone call.

When I got a blackberry, my perspective changed completely - and with a Curve, the change is complete. I find it SO much more accessible and practical than any WM device - and with a few add-ons installed, it has all the power I want on a mobile device as well. It will be a LONG time before I bother to reconsider WM, and I suspect that the BB will just keep getting better along the way, so I may never go back. Love my Curve.

@Kidd -- sorry to hear about your T-Zones browser!!! Have you tried deleting all service books and resending from T-Mobile's BIS page? If so and that didn't work, you might also try one more step that worked for me:
- delete the services books
- do a battery pull and replace
- re-register the device
- go to T-Mobile BIS page
- delete and re-add your email accounts
- re-send service books

...been perfect ever since...

Good luck!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:01 PM   #8
AlexKidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
@Kidd -- sorry to hear about your T-Zones browser!!! Have you tried deleting all service books and resending from T-Mobile's BIS page? If so and that didn't work, you might also try one more step that worked for me:
- delete the services books
- do a battery pull and replace
- re-register the device
- go to T-Mobile BIS page
- delete and re-add your email accounts
- re-send service books

...been perfect ever since...

Good luck!
@vinmont - Hey, yeah, I did get everything going. I announced where I switched over to the O2 OS here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...tml#post631338

I have also been trying to help the rambo guy over in this thread (you're also in there trying to help him) to get him connected on TMO:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...curve-tmo.html

--Kidd
Old 08-16-2007, 02:41 AM   #9
J-Mac
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just moved over from years of Windows Mobile to a Curve and I love it. Although I can see where other platform users would have difficulties, as I have run into a number of roadblocks that had me scratching my head!!

File structure is the main difference that hangs a lot of folks up. BB does not offer a conventional, familiar folder tree file structure that many are accustomed to -- including me. Trying to get an idea of whether programs are truly closed or minimized is tough on BB devices if you are used to tree structures. (Programs apparently do not close, but it is hard to see that).

Also, in WM you could look at the file explorer - or use a utility - and see what is starting with the device. Like Windows OS, most is in the Start folder. Really tough to discover that on BB devices.

Hang in there - you will get the hang of it sooner or later. I can pull apart a WM device's registry and make it work again, hacking away to overcome poor design in the WM OS, but that's simply not an option with BB. You'll have to get used to that!
Old 08-16-2007, 02:48 PM   #10
AlexKidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mac View Post
File structure is the main difference that hangs a lot of folks up. BB does not offer a conventional, familiar folder tree file structure that many are accustomed to -- including me. Trying to get an idea of whether programs are truly closed or minimized is tough on BB devices if you are used to tree structures. (Programs apparently do not close, but it is hard to see that).
Hold down the ALT key and press the Escape key (to the right of the pearl) and you'll open a task-switcher. This shows all currently running applications in the background. This is like ALT-TAB on your PC.

Quote:
Also, in WM you could look at the file explorer - or use a utility - and see what is starting with the device. Like Windows OS, most is in the Start folder. Really tough to discover that on BB devices.
It's not complete, but there is a basic File Explorer in the Media app. Open it, then click the menu button and then select "Explore". It's still really only for Media stuff though, poking through the innerds of the file system is not advisable because it's just applications. All settings and document files are neatly organized into "databases" which can be backed up very easily using the Desktop Manager. Upgrading/changing OS versions on a blackberry is SOO much easier than on a Windows Mobile device because of this "forced compliance" to keep out.

--Kidd
Old 08-17-2007, 01:11 AM   #11
J-Mac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks Alex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKidd View Post
Hold down the ALT key and press the Escape key (to the right of the pearl) and you'll open a task-switcher. This shows all currently running applications in the background. This is like ALT-TAB on your PC.
Yes, I had found the Alt + Esc dialog, and that would be nice if you could view a file manager, or something with a bit more detail. Plus, there is no way to truly "Close" or shut anything down from the Alt + Esc dialog.

Quote:
It's not complete, but there is a basic File Explorer in the Media app. Open it, then click the menu button and then select "Explore". It's still really only for Media stuff though, poking through the innerds of the file system is not advisable because it's just applications. All settings and document files are neatly organized into "databases" which can be backed up very easily using the Desktop Manager. Upgrading/changing OS versions on a blackberry is SOO much easier than on a Windows Mobile device because of this "forced compliance" to keep out.

--Kidd
Yes, but Applications would be nice, if you could shut down or uninstall them from there.

I tried switching to every app showing in my Alt + Esc dialog, and then closing the application. No way to do that. I had thought that Windows Mobile was the only OS out there that assumed they could manage memory better than users and so do not easily allow fully closing apps. But apparently BB does the same. Big problem with that is how BB frees up memory when it is needed. Instead of, say, closing the longest-ignored application, it starts deleting data! First, the call logs, and then email messages. Not a beneficial policy, IMO!!

BTW, tell me this doesn't stink: AT&T-Cingular version of the Curve has PTT rolled into the Core Application module, and it is always running in the background. No way to disable it, remove it, or even shut it down. I don't subscribe to PTT, and most likely never will. Yet there it is taking up memory. I spoke with a few different AT&T techs and they tried to push blame on BB; I didn't buy that at all. BB does create the Core App module, but I am sure it is built to the specs of the wireless provider.

I did see where I could remove two short lines of code from one .ALT file with a JavaLoader but I'm not up to speed enough to try something like that. Yet...

Thanks again, Alex.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #12
AlexKidd

Quote:
BTW, tell me this doesn't stink: AT&T-Cingular version of the Curve has PTT rolled into the Core Application module, and it is always running in the background. No way to disable it, remove it, or even shut it down. I don't subscribe to PTT, and most likely never will. Yet there it is taking up memory. I spoke with a few different AT&T techs and they tried to push blame on BB; I didn't buy that at all. BB does create the Core App module, but I am sure it is built to the specs of the wireless provider.

I did see where I could remove two short lines of code from one .ALT file with a JavaLoader but I'm not up to speed enough to try something like that. Yet...
Follow the directions in this thread to update your Platform.alx and it will remove the PTT app from the Blackberry entirely. I also cannot use it given I am not even an ATTingular customer anyway, it was only slowing me down.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...t-rid-ptt.html

Your welcome on all accounts.

--Kidd
Closed Thread