Old 12-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default AT&T Overcrowding in Los Angeles

Please Login to Remove!

They closed the thread I initially started about this ongoing problem...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/carr...s-angeles.html

We (there are 2 BB Torch users here) still only run 2G in Los Angeles due to overcrowding - we have owned our BB Torch 9810's since September of 2011 and for 1 year and 2 months we have only run 2G during peek hours (Monday through Friday between 9am to 7pm.) We just lived with it, they tell me they are going to upgrade and fix the towers and they don't.

But the problem is AT&T pushed out an update to the OS and after updating we no longer have the option of selecting 2G - it's gone. So now the BB is a brick during those hours - it sits here doing nothing, and there is nothing we can do to fix it. Wifi doesn't work either because the BB has to "register" with the cellular network and when there is overcrowding it can't connect to register. Without 2G we have nothing.

3G and 4G LTE do work (I have a Lumia 920 here that runs the 4G LTE) it's just the 3G Plus (H plus) that fails due to overcrowding.

I demanded they break the contract when the BBX 4G LTE drops so I can finally get a Blackberry that can connect to the AT&T network - they said okay.

So if you are running 2G due to overcrowding in Los Angeles - don't upgrade to the new OS because it takes away the ability to select "2G."

Just thought I would pass along...

Sandy
Old 12-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: AT&T Overcrowding in Los Angeles

I say get out of CA while you can, Sandy. Seems like a harsh solution, but that's my opinion.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
The Sand

The problem has eroded and gotten much worse… now it’s so bad we have a red symbol that says “sos” in the upper right of the screen where the network indicator is… when that happens you lose everything – so it’s not just an “internet” or data problem anymore. You don’t get anything. To have it say “sos” right smack in the middle of a city is ridiculous. There are no thunderstorms here, there is no bad weather to speak of here… they should be able to make it happen here.

I am counting the days for the BB10… that is my only way out of this mess. I prefer to be on Blackberry Exchange Server, I pay for that and have an SMIME package set up. I shouldn’t have to leave all that because AT&T can’t get it done on 3G plus.

I thought I would update my post to say that I thought everything sucked, until it got worse – now I have no words, none that you would be able to read if they were sent from my Blackberry.

I will post back what AT&T tells me when the BB10 is available – if they let me out of this contract a few months early in order to finally get a BB that can successfully connect to the tower.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
The Sand

AT&T "Data Communications" called me today. The last rep I talked to about a month ago said she would call me when she found out the arrival date for BB10. Well she called toady and followed up (I was stunned speechless as nobody from AT&T ever follows up.) She said the BB10 would be available on January 30.

She is going to see if she can get all the paperwork and the okay, etc. so I (and the other user in the home who has a 9810) can have the device as soon as possible.

I will post if this really does happen. Maybe there is a light at the end of this nightmare entitled, "3G plus overcrowding."
Old 01-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

One can only hope.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #6
The Sand

Thanks...

I see you have the Lumia 920 - so do I, and I really love that device (fun, fun, fun!)

The new BB10 looks like it can compete with what is out there right now. I am a Nokia fan (stellar hardware) and a RIM fan - I believe both companies are capable of a big fat comeback.

Or like you said, "One can only hope."

Thanks for the response....
Old 01-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #7
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

January 30 is the launch date for Blackberry 10. The devices will be available after that date. I don't know if any carriers have announced exactly when.
Closed Thread