BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
PJD642
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Upgrade from 9630 to 9650, or wait?

Please Login to Remove!

Trying to decide what to do here. Wife & I both have 9630s, no issues with either except for very minor occasional stickiness of the trackball and the poor browser. She doesn't care, but I'm bothered that I (most likely, according to everything I'm reading) won't be able to upgrade to OS 6 when it's released, especially since the new browser is supposedly gonna be so much better.

I'm eligible for an upgrade and am debating if I want to get a 9650 and just keep my 9630 in case she breaks hers, or if I should just keep using my 9630 and wait and see what the 9670 or 9800 are like. I can't stand touch screen phones (hence not looking at the Storm series of phones), but the bigger screens on the 9670 & 9800 would be nice to have.

Right now I'm leaning towards a 1-year contract on the 9650 so I can run OS 6 when it's released, and by the time that's up for renewal the 9670 and 9800 will hopefully be out with the OS bugs worked out of 'em and I can choose then if I want to change to one of those or stick with the 9650.

Thoughts? Opinions? Something I may have overlooked?
Old 07-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
deekum1627
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9600
Carrier: verizon

i would wait i think its not that much of an upgrade if you go to a 9650
Old 07-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
loki993

Model: 9650

As much as I like my Bold and I DO think its a great upgrade to the tour, I think you should wait. I went from a Tour myself so Ive used both extensively.

Here's why, First we don't know exactly when Os6 will be out or when the Bold will get it. What if its not till next year?

Secondly LTE WILL be rolled out in November and LTE phones will come out them too probably. I wouldn't get any phone right now that's not LTE capable. Any BB released after the Bold Will most likely either have OS6 loaded from the factory or at least definitely will be upgradable with it.

I wouldn't burn an upgrade with a near guarantee of some really good stuff coming very soon. Worst comes to worst you don't like anything and you get a Bold then. Hey it'll probably be cheaper than too.

Last edited by loki993; 07-15-2010 at 02:49 PM..
Old 07-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
ffejie

Carrier: VZW

I'm in the same boat and I'm waiting. I could get a 9650 from VZW (on a corporate contract) for a ridiculous low price but I'd have to renew for another year. I'm hoping something better comes out between now and the end of the year. I really like the way the slider looks, but I'm not holding my breath for a CDMA version. I'm also not holding my breath for a LTE Blackberry until at least this time next year.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

The sticky track ball is a known problem. Call Verizon. They will send you a new one if under warranty. If they don't have stock at the time, you might get a 9650 as some people have.
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 07-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
nohbdyshero
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: the tail on the donkey
Carrier: sprint

I would wait as I am for a OS 6 device although I am on Sprint so it might be the next decade before that happens
Old 07-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
PressureDrop

Model: dr01d
Carrier: Verizon (LTE!)

I have a note on my account from the last time I spoke with them to let me have a 9650 as an upgrade for for super cheap....and extend my contract 24mos. I am gonna wait and see what comes out as long as I can even though I really want track pad and wifi, I am not down for reupping my contract right now. I hope LTE BBs happen in less than forever!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
Preroll

Model: Class

Between all the reviews RE: the 9650 and its poor battery life, signal, and battery door issues, I think I'm going to wait a few months for a newer device with hopefully a better battery, a radio signal that works, and possibly LTE capable (well....we'll see how long that takes but you never know). I was really anxious for the 9650 but can't justify going backwards with new problems. I'm tired of my locked up 8330 from Verizon, but the battery life is acceptable, I have no dropped calls, and the unit feels more solid in my hands than the 9650. Hopefully the release of a new unit will not take as long as it did from the 8330>9630>9650. It's just a wait and see game.....

Last edited by Preroll; 07-19-2010 at 10:04 AM..
Old 07-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
Micsterator

I'd hold on to your current unit, but upgrage to better browser. (I've had terrific luck with Opera)

Mic
Old 07-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #10
Ashg
Thumbs Must Hurt

With VZW rolling out the LTE network this winter, I'd hold off to see if any LTE handsets are coming out after the new year.

As for replacements, I just did my third Tour swap and they sent me a Certified Like-New 9650 the last time. Personally, Certified Like-New has been code for "steaming pile of horse dung" in my experience, but I can live with the CLN 9650; its only problem is the camera.

Ask nicely and see what happens.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
loki993

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffejie View Post
I'm in the same boat and I'm waiting. I could get a 9650 from VZW (on a corporate contract) for a ridiculous low price but I'd have to renew for another year. I'm hoping something better comes out between now and the end of the year. I really like the way the slider looks, but I'm not holding my breath for a CDMA version. I'm also not holding my breath for a LTE Blackberry until at least this time next year.
If that in fact does happen, not coming out with an LTE phone for another year, that will nearly guarantee me switching to a Driod phone. I doubt id be the only one either. I WILL not wait a year for RIM to get around to releasing an LTE BB. They know its coming and there would be no excuse to not have one at launch or at bare minimum have one announced. That would be a very big mistake on RIMs part if they let that happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preroll View Post
Between all the reviews RE: the 9650 and its poor battery life, signal, and battery door issues, I think I'm going to wait a few months for a newer device with hopefully a better battery, a radio signal that works, and possibly LTE capable (well....we'll see how long that takes but you never know). I was really anxious for the 9650 but can't justify going backwards with new problems. I'm tired of my locked up 8330 from Verizon, but the battery life is acceptable, I have no dropped calls, and the unit feels more solid in my hands than the 9650. Hopefully the release of a new unit will not take as long as it did from the 8330>9630>9650. It's just a wait and see game.....
Those issues are overblown and exaggerated. I had the Tour and Now have the Bold, not problems with my battery door. The signal does bounce, but if you in an are where there is good signal its not a big deal. I'm not so I have issues, but its more a produce of the area I'm in and not the phone. Battery life isn't the greatest, but its no worse than my Tour either. I also thin I have problems because it has to search for a signal a lot. I'm in the boondocks. When I'm in and around bigger cites battery and signal are not issues.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #12
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashg View Post
With VZW rolling out the LTE network this winter, I'd hold off to see if any LTE handsets are coming out after the new year.

As for replacements, I just did my third Tour swap and they sent me a Certified Like-New 9650 the last time. Personally, Certified Like-New has been code for "steaming pile of horse dung" in my experience, but I can live with the CLN 9650; its only problem is the camera.

Ask nicely and see what happens.
Not a big difference between a 10 mos/1 year contract and a 2 year contract. I learned not to wait on contingencies.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #13
psionmagia

I m waiting on my 9650 from VZW right now - Trackball issues, went from ATT to VZ in Nov, loved the Tour 9630, but the trackball was bad, so i called up, they overnighted one to me - trouble is, no camera, so another call and I ll be getting the 9650 with cam tomorrow - I did try the new one quickly, the new pad is so much better, I m looking forward to it (plus seeing as I scratched my other phones LCD, its even better!)
Old 07-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionmagia View Post
I m waiting on my 9650 from VZW right now - Trackball issues, went from ATT to VZ in Nov, loved the Tour 9630, but the trackball was bad, so i called up, they overnighted one to me - trouble is, no camera, so another call and I ll be getting the 9650 with cam tomorrow - I did try the new one quickly, the new pad is so much better, I m looking forward to it (plus seeing as I scratched my other phones LCD, its even better!)
Good luck with phone and welcome to site

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #15
ffejie

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
If that in fact does happen, not coming out with an LTE phone for another year, that will nearly guarantee me switching to a Driod phone. I doubt id be the only one either. I WILL not wait a year for RIM to get around to releasing an LTE BB. They know its coming and there would be no excuse to not have one at launch or at bare minimum have one announced. That would be a very big mistake on RIMs part if they let that happen.
I couldn't agree with you more - but couldn't you just see it happening?

The LTE network is apparently ready to go this holiday season, and Verizon Wireless is going to be pushing the crap out of laptop cards and the like. I bet they'll launch with one phone - potentially an Android device. Other phones will start hitting the market around February. They'll be Windows 7, maybe some other Android phones as well.

Meanwhile, in November/December, we'll start hearing rumblings about a LTE Blackberry in Verizon's lab, then in real world test. Then the OS will start getting leaked. By the time March rolls around, we'll have the training material and "go live" dates of April or May. Those dates will get missed and they'll launch in June. It seems like every Verizon Blackberry follows the same pattern.

Early Summer 2007 - 8830 World Edition
Early Summer 2009 - Tour 9630
Early Summer 2010 - Bold 9650
Early Summer 2011 - First LTE Blackberry

I don't know what they released in 2008, but it seems like Verizon/RIM have a yearly release for their "executive" Blackberrys. It makes sense not to have a lot more flooding the market every couple of months.

Finally, if we're not hearing about it now, there's very little chance they could launch it by November - meaning it's not coming out until February.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #16
PressureDrop

I might see about replacing my current model, but I am gonna stick around for a while before I go changing to something that costs anything.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #17
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I'm holding out for the Storm3 or maybe Storm4.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #18
oldrelicdvds
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z30
PIN: 3353CF0C
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
I'm holding out for the Storm3 or maybe Storm4.
Agree, would love to see what may be added.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #19
PressureDrop

So my wife is getting a 9650 from her job...IN ADDITION to her 9630 that I pay for
Closed Thread