Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
zigzag03

Model: 8350
PIN: N/A
Carrier: nextel
Question WIFI issue

Please Login to Remove!

i have a curve 8350 on nextel, and it works pretty well for the most part but i have one frustrating problem:

i am unable to connect to my home wifi network. i can attach to anyone elses network but not to my own. i have tried two different routers. they are always recognized, but they won't connect. the network name shows up in green, but i get a white colored - to the left, not the green check mark.

i just set my dad up with a wireless network at his home using an older linksys g router that i inherited from somewhere, and my blackberry finds it and hooks right up. visited my bro in law a few months back and hooked right into his. but never here at home, not with the old linksys g i was using till yesterday, and not with a new linksys n that i installed yesterday afternoon.

if i look in diagnostics, i have green checks in everything under the wifi section all the way down. in the vpn section i have white diagonal slashes in everything. when i get to bberry infrastructure, i have a red x in the "connecting" box and slashes under authenticating router and server. could this be the source of my problem? i confess that i didn't discover the network diag deal until after the last time i was connected at my dad's so i don't know whether things look different when on his network.

the wifi here at home with either router works fine, computers have no issue with it, wife's palm pre hooks right up, so i don't get it.

anyone have any thoughts? thanks zz03
Old 05-31-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

My first thought is the authentication does not match or you have the broadcast SSID off.
Maybe the following will help.

EAP authentication methods that the BlackBerry device supports
Authentication method
Description
BlackBerry device implementation
LEAP
Ciscoฎ developed LEAP in response to the weaknesses identified in WEP. LEAP uses the IEEE 802.1x authentication framework.
LEAP is designed to significantly improve on basic WEP security by providing authentication between the enterprise Wi-Fi network device and the enterprise Wi-Fi network, per-client dynamic generation of WEP keys, and automatic WEP key updates throughout the course of a session on the enterprise Wi-Fi network device.
The BlackBerry device supports LEAP authentication based on a user name and password. The BlackBerry device uses a one-way function to encrypt passwords before sending them to the authentication server.
LEAP does not provide mutual authentication between the BlackBerry device and the enterprise Wi-Fi network. Set strong password policies on networks that use LEAP.
PEAP
PEAP is an open standard jointly developed by Microsoft Corporation, RSA Security, and Cisco Systems, Inc. PEAP allows for supplicant authentication with an authentication server by
• creating an encrypted tunnel between the supplicant and the authentication server using TLS
• using the TLS tunnel to send the supplicant authentication credentials to the authentication server
The BlackBerry device supports the following versions of PEAP:
• PEAPv0
• PEAPv1 with MS-CHAPv2 and EAP-GTC as a second-phase protocol that the BlackBerry device can use for the authentication credential exchange
A root certificate corresponding to the server certificate that the authentication server uses must exist on the BlackBerry device for PEAP authentication to complete successfully.
EAP-TLS
EAP-TLS is defined in RFC 2716. It uses a PKI to enable supplicant authentication with an authentication server by
• using the TLS protocol to create an encrypted tunnel between the supplicant and the authentication server
• using the TLS encrypted tunnel and a client certificate to send authentication credentials to the authentication server
The Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry device supports EAP-TLS using certificates that meet specific requirements on both the server and the client for successful authentication.
The root certificates of the authentication server certificate and the client certificate must exist on the Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry device for EAP-TLS authentication to complete successfully.
Smartphones, Cell Phones & Smart Phones at BlackBerry.com
BlackBerry Enterprise Solution 75
Encryption algorithms that the Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry device supports for use with layer 2 security methods
Protocol
Description
Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry device implementation
WEP
See “Requiring protected connections to enterprise Wi-Fi networks” on page 46 for a description of WEP.
The Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry device supports the use of WEP keys.
TKIP
TKIP is
• part of the IEEE 802.11i enterprise Wi-Fi network security standard
• designed to address the shortcomings in WEP without requiring replacement of the existing enterprise Wi-Fi network hardware
• designed to use the RC4 encryption method (based on improved WEP standards)
TKIP is designed to be more robust than WEP in the following ways:
• using a key size of 128 bits (compared to 40 bits or 104 bits for WEP)
• using a modified initialization vector, that is designed to significantly increase the difficulty of deriving the WEP key
• generating keys dynamically for each session by changing keys automatically for each packet of transmitted data (where WEP uses a single fixed key for an entire session)
• using a MIC that fails and discards transmitted packets that are captured, altered, and resent
• requiring a secure method of distribution to a wireless client
The Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry device supports the use of TKIP with
• EAP-TLS
• EAP-TTLS
• PEAP
• PSK
AES-CCMP
AES-CCMP is
• part of the IEEE 802.11i enterprise Wi-Fi network security standard
• designed to use AES encryption
AES-CCMP is designed to provide a robust security protocol similar to TKIP in the following ways:
• using a key size of 128 bits
• using a MIC that fails and discards transmitted packets that are captured, altered, and resent
• requiring a secure method of distribution to a wireless client
The Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry device supports the use of AES-CCMP with
• EAP-TLS
• EAP-TTLS
• EAP-FAST
• PEAP
• PSK
Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry device VPN solution
Old 05-31-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
zigzag03

the ssid shows up, and before i renamed it "home", it was the network name as well.

under the "status" line it says "security credentials are not sufficient to complete connection"

i used the "one button" method of connecting, you know, the button on the router, and the wpa2 pre-shared key shows up as *********** in the connection details, which im guessing is normal.

the "association" box alternates between a green check and a slash line. and when it has the green check, the "authentification" box goes from a slash to an orange dash, then back when the green check goes away above it.

i'm afraid i don't know what to do with the info you have copied for me but thank you.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
hightack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Set up your connection manually using a wep network key. I've found that works more times than not.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
zigzag03

hightack wins the gold star today. punched it in manually, and i'm rockin on the net like ya read about. thanks man
Old 05-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Zig, sorry i did not get back to you on the manual setup but for some reason I was not able to get to the forum site until now. Glad yor problem is resolved.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:57 AM   #7
zigzag03

likewise i had problems yesterday getting back into the site for several hours, dunno what was up. in any case problem solved and thanks!
Closed Thread