Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
PIN: Head
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
Underwhelming.

I'm not sure why Google tries so hard to push its forced paradigm of threading so hard. They should be working on at least providing date ordered mailboxes... How simple does it get?

Someone please enlighten me.
Google isn't pushing anything on anyone, you either use it or you don't but the choice is entirely up to you. Dropping threaded conversations and going to a simple date ordered mailbox would make Gmail just like Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, Exchange or any other type of email account out there. I'm fully confident in saying that not a single engineer at Google is working on making Gmail like other mail.

Besides, messages are in date order, grouped in to threads. Simple. If that doesn't work for you that's OK too. Every other email provider out there offers non-threaded, date order capable accounts.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:51 AM   #22
JayTee1

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
I deleted it. Not yet for prime time.
Sad but true, I really was expecting this update to be the one but it really needs more work.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #23
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

I don't think I've seen anything on Google's Site about this so, this might be mostly RIM's creation. With help from Google but Mostly RIM, notice the Download location is only the BlackBerry.com domain, and RIM has official KB articles.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #24
Kamau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
PIN: 21499CE8
Carrier: Verizon, T-Mobile

Quick question.
Is it really a helpful app?

Kamau
Old 08-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #25
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

That depends on your definition of helpful. If you want to be able to use Remote Search, and add stars and labels to emails from your BlackBerry, then it could be.

You won't know until you try it out. I can be removed if you don't like it.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #26
lairdb

Model: 7290
Carrier: AT&T

How do delete vs. archive work with the plugin installed?

As of the last time I re-established my gmail (gafyd, actually) in BIS, deleting a message works the same way it does though any IMAP client: it "archives" it. (This is, IMO, the desired behaviour.)

With the plugin installed,
- If you delete a gmail message from the integrated mailbox view, is it "deleted" or "archived"?
- If you delete a gmail message from the gmail-specific mailbox view, is it "deleted" or "archived"?

Thanks.

Last edited by lairdb; 08-23-2009 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: fixt speling errer
Old 08-24-2009, 05:54 AM   #27
N685EH

PIN: 20ED23DE
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNIGHTRIDER View Post
i see my sent messages in my inbox.
If you are seeing sent messages in the actual inbox and not the messages folder, I'm also intrigued as to how you got that. I searched through options and help readers for a while last night and came up empty-handed.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:08 AM   #28
Helmdawg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: ned down...
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by N685EH View Post
If you are seeing sent messages in the actual inbox and not the messages folder, I'm also intrigued as to how you got that. I searched through options and help readers for a while last night and came up empty-handed.
I have feeling he/she is referring to the main in-box versus the gmail icon. I cannot see my sent message as well....
Old 08-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #29
kd78

Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (8900)

If you look at your labels menu, the "sent mail" is greyed out and not selectable. Must be by design?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #30
Jaime

Model: 8310
Carrier: Claro Chile

it is slow as hell
Old 08-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #31
ffejie

Carrier: VZW

Works for me, sucks it has to be a different mailbox (from my BES) and also disappointed about two way sync.

However, the biggest issue I have with it is that it says "<Content Protection Is Enabled> for all of my subjects that are threaded. Once I open the email, it correctly displays the title. Yes, I have Content Protection Enabled, no I cannot turn it off (BES policy). Anyone have any success with Content Protection and this app?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #32
JSylvia007

Model: 9700
PIN: 2166B57D
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdb View Post
How do delete vs. archive work with the plugin installed?

As of the last time I re-established my gmail (gafyd, actually) in BIS, deleting a message works the same way it does though any IMAP client: it "archives" it. (This is, IMO, the desired behaviour.)

With the plugin installed,
- If you delete a gmail message from the integrated mailbox view, is it "deleted" or "archived"?
- If you delete a gmail message from the gmail-specific mailbox view, is it "deleted" or "archived"?

Thanks.
Wait a minute. Are you telling me that if I REMOVE this plugin, and delete my gmail account from BIS, and then RE-ADD my gmail account in BIS, delete a message from the Messages application, GMAIL will ARCHIVE IT???

Last I saw and tested, deleting a message, deleted it, and I never saw a correction on this. I saw all sorts of config options, but the only thing I was ever able to get GMail to do was either leave the message in the inbox, or trash it. The ONLY thing I need GMail to do is to Archive the message when I choose "Delete from Mailbox and Handheld", so that I dont have to keep re-reading email at my desk to determine what to archive. If I can accomplish this without the plugin, I'd be one happy camper!!!

If it does in fact work as I would like it to (and as you described), can you please post your settings for BIS and GMail??
Proud consumer of the BlackBerry KoolAid!
Bold 9700 v5.0.0.423 - at&t - Pin: 2166B57D
Old 08-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #33
JSahim

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Backup your BB before installing this plug-in.

After installing the Enhanced Gmail Plug-in, I noticed no differences with my normal Massages box, which combines all my email, SMS texts, and call log. None of the new options are available in this view. You will have a new icon, just for your gmail account (which will not change its icon symbol based on themes, apparently) that will show all the new menu options. Personally, I don't see anything with this plug-in that Google's Blackberry Gmail App doesn't already do, apart from giving you the familiar, less graphic-intensive Blackberry look. FYI, this Plug-in will show up in your application swicher as a constantly running application - clicking on it from there will open your Gmail Inbox.

In order to get the download link and successfully install it, you need to go to your Manage Internet Email application, (which directs you to a service-provider specific webpage), delete your gmail account (if already configured) and reconfigure it. You will then get a PIN message from the Blackberry server with the link to install the plug-in.

Though I'm not sure this was the cause, I had an issue with my calendar shortly after installing this plug-in. Prior to installing the plug-in, whenever I made a calendar entry, the "Send using" field always defaulted to "User Default". After the plug-in install, however, this option was no longer available and the "Send using" field defaulted to my gmail account, even though all entries made prior to this still listed "User default" in the entry. This caused my home screen Today Plus theme to only display new calendar entries, instead of all entries.

To fix this, I did a restore of all my calendar data from my SmrtGaurd application, since my last automatic backup was less than a day ago, telling it to delete all current calendar data and replace it with the backed up data. This basically re-entered my 615 calendar entries with "Send using" set to my gmail account on all entries that originally had "user default" selected, allowing my Today Plus view to display all my calendar entires. I would expect that doing a restore from the BB Desktop software with work similarly, though I haven't tried it that way myself.

Last edited by JSahim; 08-25-2009 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: Forgot to mention that Plug-in constantly runs in background
Old 08-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #34
Jaime

Model: 8310
Carrier: Claro Chile

Too slow. I guess I'll stick to gmail app.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #35
joeya7

Model: Tour

I sent an email from my bb using gmail and IT showed up in my sent mail and folder to the person it was sent to on gmail.com. I was worried about this since it's now using gmail in imap and not pop
Old 08-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #36
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsub2006 View Post
Google isn't pushing anything on anyone, you either use it or you don't but the choice is entirely up to you. Dropping threaded conversations and going to a simple date ordered mailbox would make Gmail just like Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, Exchange or any other type of email account out there. I'm fully confident in saying that not a single engineer at Google is working on making Gmail like other mail.

Besides, messages are in date order, grouped in to threads. Simple. If that doesn't work for you that's OK too. Every other email provider out there offers non-threaded, date order capable accounts.
You're completely missing the point. Being different, just for the sake of being different, especially when it doesn't serve needs, doesn't help anyone. Date ordered e-mail should at least be an OPTION, as probably 80%+ of users prefer it that way...
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250

Last edited by kurichan; 08-25-2009 at 05:53 PM..
Old 08-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #37
dualsub2006

Model: Droid
PIN: Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
You're completely missing the point. Being different, just for the sake of being different, especially when it doesn't serve needs, doesn't help anyone. Date ordered e-mail should at least be an OPTION, as probably 80%+ of users prefer it that way...
Threaded conversations serve a VERY big need for me all day. Every single day. I use Gmail and Google Apps Premier in large part because of threaded conversations.

You think way too much of your own opinion if you honestly believe that because you find threaded messages to be of no help to you and to serve no need for you that the overwhelming majority (80% + is overwhelming) of Gmail users must feel the same way.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #38
JSahim

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsub2006 View Post
Threaded conversations serve a VERY big need for me all day. Every single day. I use Gmail and Google Apps Premier in large part because of threaded conversations.

You think way too much of your own opinion if you honestly believe that because you find threaded messages to be of no help to you and to serve no need for you that the overwhelming majority (80% + is overwhelming) of Gmail users must feel the same way.
I agree with dualsub2006. Somehow I doubt that RIM would go out of their way to create a Gmail plug-in that included the threaded functionality without first gathering some market data to ensure that threaded emails were what the majority of Gmail users wanted. Also, I'm sure that Google didn't get to where it is today by giving only 20% of the people what they wanted. Personally, I enjoy the threaded conversation view.

I think what many don't realize is that this plug-in was developed and released by RIM, not Google, which is why you don't see any google-owned websites discussing it or offering a download link. As such, harping on Google regarding the features of a plug-in that they didn't even create is silly. If you don't like Gmail, then don't use it. There are plenty of other options out there. If you ask nicely, maybe Google will even refund the $0.00 you paid for your Gmail account, once you find another service that is more to your liking.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #39
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

I hate to but in... but if your that unhappy with GMail, why not move to Yahoo?

Also..

Has nobody else had a problem with Labels syncing?
(At least confirmation so I don't feel so alone )

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #40
z7x8c9

Model: 9000
Carrier: Optimus PT

Hi,

I've been trying to use the new gmail plugin with my google apps account, but whatever I do, I just can't get the damn thing to use it.

On my personal gmail, it works fine...

Anyone has any tips on getting the gmail plugin to work with google apps accounts?

thanks
Closed Thread