Old 12-04-2004, 02:08 PM   #2
WorldIRC
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Old 01-28-2005, 06:10 PM   #3
bbnewbie

Default Newbie - cannot access web w/ simulator

Sorry to post this, as I'm sure it's a previously-answered problem, but I could not find anything on the board.

I'm a web designer and our site is having some problems, apparently, viewing pages with the Blackberry. I don't have a BlackBerry, just the QA guys (who are in a different city), so I can't see the problems they see with the site.

So I grabbed the simulator, installed, clicked the "Start MDS Simulator" shortcut and then have run the 7700 series simulator. I am getting the "Unable to connect to Mobile Data Service, please try again later".

On installation, I did not put it in local or remote host information, just left the defaults. I am using Win2000 Pro. I can't really tell if the MDS Simulator IS running - I see the command window open, the close, and then it launches a Windows Explorer window. Is that normal?

Any tips for this newbie?
Old 01-28-2005, 10:54 PM   #4
dinouye

It's been a few months since I last did bb dev but last I recall when using the MDS sim this is what happens:
-> start MDS sim through start menu
-> a command window opens and stays open during the durration of your testing, it's basically a customized tomcat server and you can see the traffic in there as you app runs in the sim and hits it on it's way out to the internet
-> I didn't have to put in any customized local or remote host information as ithe MDS sim seems to just use the default path out to the internet

Since you are getting an unable to connect to MDS I would venture a guess that either your MDS is failing (as seems indicated by the fact the command window closes) or possibly firewall settings are interfering with you ability to connect (this seems more unlikely to me but might be worth a look). I would say check your MDS it sounds like it is crashing out. Are you using the 4.0 SDK? my experience is with the 3.x SDK so perhaps they've changed the way the MDS sim behaves.

good luck!

Darren
Old 01-29-2005, 12:30 AM   #5
arconsulting
Thumbs Must Hurt

It is *NOT* normal for the MDS window to open and then close.

The problem with the simulator is because the MDS is not launching properly. There should be no need to change any settings (unless you are already running a web server on port 8080).

Do you have Java2 v1.4 installed on the computer?

It could be a problem with your CLASSPATH setting.

You can try run the MDS Simulator batch file manually and see if this sheds any light.
BlackBerry consulting and development (RIM SI Partner)
Old 01-31-2005, 12:13 AM   #6
TMPhoneBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Re: Newbie - cannot access web w/ simulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnewbie
Sorry to post this, as I'm sure it's a previously-answered problem, but I could not find anything on the board.

I'm a web designer and our site is having some problems, apparently, viewing pages with the Blackberry. I don't have a BlackBerry, just the QA guys (who are in a different city), so I can't see the problems they see with the site.

So I grabbed the simulator, installed, clicked the "Start MDS Simulator" shortcut and then have run the 7700 series simulator. I am getting the "Unable to connect to Mobile Data Service, please try again later".

On installation, I did not put it in local or remote host information, just left the defaults. I am using Win2000 Pro. I can't really tell if the MDS Simulator IS running - I see the command window open, the close, and then it launches a Windows Explorer window. Is that normal?

Any tips for this newbie?
I think you might not have java 1.4 installed or not have the class path settings done correctly. If this is the case, I think you have to right click my computer->advanced->environmental variable. Then you edit the system variable and add full path of the java bin folder (like c:\j2sdk1.4.0\bin). Then I think you should be fine :D
Old 01-31-2005, 03:14 PM   #7
bbnewbie

Default Fixed

Ah! Installing J2SE 5.0 fixed it. They don't call me "newbie" for nothin'...

Thanks so much for the help!
Old 02-01-2005, 04:11 PM   #8
arconsulting
Thumbs Must Hurt

Glad to hear you got it working, but J2SE 5.0 is not supported with the JDE. Numerous people have reported problems compiling their applications with 5.0. However, it might work if all you want to do is browse web pages.

Just my two cents.
BlackBerry consulting and development (RIM SI Partner)
Closed Thread