Old 03-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #41
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

So far, I've found the following methods:

IIS Configured:
1 - Interactive PC Web Installation: Unzip lcsOTA.zip to the root of an IIS server. I had to open the ASP files and manually change lcsOTA to /lcsOTA for all entries in the files (there's about 10 or so per file). Access/install from PC with handheld connected - very similar in nature to how RIM offers the AXLoader installations of the Google Talk, Yahoo and BlackBerry Messenger clients.

2 - Interactive PC ALX Installation: Unzip lcs.zip to a location and install using Desktop Manager and Application Loader (I believe this is the method you've tried).

3 - Interactive Handheld OTA Installation: Unzip lcsOTA.zip to the root of an IIS server. Access via handheld. I have not been able to get this working from the handheld (using the same unzipped files as Option 1), though.

I'm sure that you can do a Software Configuration push, although I have not tried it. I will test in a bit.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:32 AM   #42
jibi
BlackBerry God

I would like to know a definitive answer on LCS running WITHOUT MDS services. I believe its completely separate, from what I can tell in the architecture diagram, but I'm just wanting to make sure.

So far, one thing that I really like about BES 4.1 is the '7100 friendly' auto-generated enterprise activation passwords. They use only the letters that are on the left side of each key on a 7100 (q, e, t, etc.). Its a bit less secure, but it definitely removes the multi-tap headache that passwords present for 7100 users. I do not believe this 'feature' was in BES 4.0, but its definitely the surprising 'little pleasure' about this version (to me, atleast ...just one of those things that makes you say 'wow, that's awesome they included something like that which I would have never thought to even request much less add').

Old 03-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #43
Kablooey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 25ee2d53
Carrier: AT&T and Verizon 9650

Excellent info Jibi...
Now to install/configure/test/document/deploy it myself...!!!
Oh yeah, and toss out all of my 4.0 documentation and procedures.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #44
dowlingm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Hi guys

when you get a chance could someone post the 4.1 Bluetooth policy options? Locking Discoverable as No is a priority for us.

TIA
Old 03-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #45
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm
Hi guys

when you get a chance could someone post the 4.1 Bluetooth policy options? Locking Discoverable as No is a priority for us.

TIA
- Disable Bluetooth

Specify whether to turn off support for Bluetooth technology on the BlackBerry device.

If you do not set this rule, a default value of False will be used.

This rule applies only to Java-based BlackBerry devices version 3.8.0 and higher.

- Disable Pairing

Specify whether a Bluetooth-enabled BlackBerry device cen establish a relationship (in other words, pair) with another Bluetooth device.

Note: Set this rule to True to prevent the BlackBerry device user from pairing with subsequent Bluetooth devices after the BlackBerry device pairs with an approved Bluetooth device (for example a headset).

This rule applies only to Java-based BlackBerry devices version 3.8.0 and higher.

- Disable Headset Profile

Specify whether a Bluetooth-enabled BlackBerry device can use the Bluetooth Headset Profile (HSP) required to enable wireless voice capabilities with most headsets and some car kits.

- Disable Handsfree Profile

Specify whether a Bluetooth-enabled BlackBerry device can use the Bluetooth Hands Free Profile (HFP) required to enable wireless voice capabilities with most car kits and some headsets.

- Disable Serial Port Profile

Specify whether a Bluetooth-enabled BlackBerry device can use the Bluetooth Serial Port Profile (SPP) required to establish a serial connection between the BlackBerry device and a Bluetooth peripheral using a serial port interface.

- Disable Discoverable Mode

Specify whether a Bluetooth-enabled BlackBerry device can turn on Discoverable mode on a Bluetooth-enabled BlackBerry device.

Note: A BlackBerry device with Discoverable mode turned on can be discovered by other Bluetooth-enabled devices in range of the BlackBerry device.

This rule applies only to Java-based BlackBerry devices version 4.0.2 and higher.

- Allow Outgoing Calls

Specify whether the user can place outgoing phone calls from a Bluetooth-enabled BlackBerry device.

If you do not set this rule, a default value of 0 will be used.

This rule applies only to Java-based BlackBerry devices version 4.0.2 and higher.

- Disable Address Book Transfer

Specify whether the BlackBerry device can exchange address book data with compatible Bluetooth devices.

This rule applies only to Java-based BlackBerry devices version 4.1.0 and higher.

- Disable Desktop Connectivity

Specify whether a Bluetooth-enabled BlackBerry device can connect to the BlackBerry Desktop Software over Bluetooth.

If you do not set this rule, a default value of True will be used.

This rule applies only to Java-based BlackBerry devices version 4.1.0 and higher.

- Disable Wireless Bypass

Specify whether a Bluetooth-enabled BlackBerry device can perform wireless bypass over Bluetooth.

If you do not set this rule, a default value of True will be used.

- Require Password for Enabling Bluetooth Support

Specify whether the BlackBerry device requires that the user type the security password to enable Bluetooth support.

Set to True to require the BlackBerry device to prompt the user for the security password when enabling Bluetooth support.

Set to False to permit the BlackBerry device user to enable Bluetooth support without typing the security password.

- Require Password for Discoverable Mode

Specify whether the BlackBerry device requires that the user type the security password to enable Discoverable mode.

Set to True to require the BlackBerry device to prompt the user for the security password to make the BlackBerry device discoverable by other Bluetooth devices.

Set to False to permit the BlackBerry device user to turn on Discoverable Mode without entering the security password.

- Require Encryption

Specify whether a Bluetooth-enabled BlackBerry device uses Bluetooth encryption on all connections.

Set to True to force Bluetooth-enabled BlackBerry devices to use Bluetooth encryption on all connections.

Note: Requiring Bluetooth encryption on all connections might restrict compatibility with other Bluetooth-enabled devices.

Last edited by jibi; 03-10-2006 at 01:50 PM..
Old 03-10-2006, 03:57 PM   #46
jibi
BlackBerry God

Inphektion, see if this might help...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...5&postcount=14

I was able to follow that and set up a Wireless-enabled Software Configuration item and assign it to a user, although I'm not sure if its actually worked or not. For the two of us on the test server with Enterprise Messenger installed via AXLoader, it did show up the status 'Up to Date'. For the other user w/o it installed, it shows up 'Install Required'.

* Edit: He just IM'd me and let me know that it is now appearing, so that works. It took about 10-30 minutes, although neither of us paid any attention to when it actually added.

Last edited by jibi; 03-10-2006 at 04:01 PM..
Old 03-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #47
exchangemymail
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

Anybody have 4.1 working on a production server yet?
Was it a new install, or an upgrade from 4.0?

Updated: Thanks for the great screenshots Jibi !!!

Last edited by exchangemymail; 03-10-2006 at 09:29 PM..
Old 03-11-2006, 08:43 AM   #48
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: (¯`·.¸at&t¸.·´¯)

Jibi, thanks for the info and that is how I'm doing it. It simply isn't showing up on the handhelds. I have a case escalated at RIM and they are going over all the logs, seems to be a database issue, though everything else is working.
The software will install if I connect the handheld to the server and do the interactive load.

Allwireless, yes this is my production server. I originally did an upgrade from 4.0 and that went flawlessly. Then I found out I need win2k3 server to have the msmq at the right version for LCS to work so I basically did a clean install of 4.1 on a new server and then restored my database.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #49
phonemonkey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Angry 4.1 sucks

I tried to do an upgrade from 4.0 SP3 to 4.1 and it failed miserably. I did a combo BES and MDS install. The BES part did encounter some kind of error that required me to rerun the installer, but did complete and get running. MDS however would never successfully complete the install. The installer logs showed one non-fatal error in the primary (not the 3rd party) log, but the installer would just tell me to try installing again. Running the standalone BES installer wouldn't get past the SQL info -- it kept saying it couldn't connect to my SQL server.

I did a total uninstall (even ripped out registry data), restored my 4.0 database, and did the install of 4.0 again. The server got running but the handhelds kept saying there was an IT policy error and to try wiping the handheld and reactivate/resync to continue. We did this, and now are running again with 4.0 SP4.

While the 4.1 Manager showed MDS running, it didn't seem to figure out where the BlackBerry Router was (it's all on the same server) and just had the field blank. 4.1 Manager wouldn't let me enter in a BB Router, since it was a read-only field. I suspect that somehow MDS was actually installed ok despite the non-fatal error, but since the MDS couldn't connect to the BB Router, it had to way to get to the network.

I'm terrified of having to do the same upgrade on a customer's BES with over 50 handhelds. We only had 4 and could afford having it down for a couple of hours, but it looks like for these guys we'll have to set up a new server and migrate people over a few at a time. Or perhaps wait and see how things are after the first service pack.

The really cool part about 4.1 is being able to see all the device info (installed apps, service books, telco details) and the eventual PGP support. But I think this should have been called 5.0, and that too many front and back-end changes were made. No apparent ability to fully (server to handheld) back out of the upgrade if needed is also a bad idea. And a 483mb installer is also absurd.

BES is turning into a monster.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:02 PM   #50
jibi
BlackBerry God

Since this wasn't a big jump for Lotus and GroupWise users, I'm sure that 4.1 was an adequate tagging, assuming they wanted to keep it the same across the board. I do agree that this is a rather large jump for us Exchange users, though. I believe they've already been working on 5.0 for a few months now, but we shouldn't expect it for another year or so (from what I recall in discussions).
Old 03-11-2006, 03:32 PM   #51
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
So far, one thing that I really like about BES 4.1 is the '7100 friendly' auto-generated enterprise activation passwords. They use only the letters that are on the left side of each key on a 7100 (q, e, t, etc.). Its a bit less secure, but it definitely removes the multi-tap headache that passwords present for 7100 users. I do not believe this 'feature' was in BES 4.0, but its definitely the surprising 'little pleasure' about this version (to me, atleast ...just one of those things that makes you say 'wow, that's awesome they included something like that which I would have never thought to even request much less add').
Nope, it wasn't in BES 4.0. It is currently the single largest cause of failed activation for me.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-11-2006, 09:50 PM   #52
exchangemymail
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

Upgrade failed miserably too...
Trying to restore database now as evrything seems to be working except MDS.

No more 4.1 for us / excep maybe as a new install..
Old 03-11-2006, 11:51 PM   #53
jibi
BlackBerry God

just an FYI, my upgrade was done as the BES only - no MDS services (or whatever that second option was). we don't really use MDS here, so having the development tools installed was not essential (MDS, as far as the browser and intranet access, is still installed with the base installation).
Old 03-12-2006, 08:58 PM   #54
phonemonkey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
(MDS, as far as the browser and intranet access, is still installed with the base installation).
Hmm, the docs seemed a little unclear that "basic" MDS gets included as part of the standard install. But perhaps I missed this.

With the broken BES+MDS install I had, the handhelds said the selected MDS couldn't be contacted. This happened even with the separate MDS component disabled. Didn't try the just plain BES in 4.1.

For non-browser apps (ssh, Google Talk, etc.) to use MDS in 4.1, does that require the separate MDS install, or would this "light" MDS handle it?
Old 03-12-2006, 09:56 PM   #55
jibi
BlackBerry God

In my upgrade, MDS remained the same as it was with BES 4.0. Reading over the documentation, it appears that it may not have been meant to be like this. Who knows what it'd do on a fresh installation...

It has installed the following services:

BlackBerry Alert
BlackBerry Attachment Service
BlackBerry Collaboration Service
BlackBerry Controller
BlackBerry Database Consistency Service
BlackBerry Dispatcher
BlackBerry Instant Messaging Connector
BlackBerry MDS Connection Service
BlackBerry Policy Service
BlackBerry Router
BlackBerry Synchronization Service

On the handheld, I've got the following Service Books:

Desktop [ALP]
Desktop [SYNC]
Desktop [CICAL]
Desktop [BrowserConfig]
Desktop [MDS]
Desktop [IPPP]
Desktop [BBIM]
Desktop [CMIME]

Last edited by jibi; 03-12-2006 at 10:07 PM..
Old 03-12-2006, 10:08 PM   #56
jibi
BlackBerry God

I'll look at possibly installing it fresh on a virtual machine tomorrow, if I get a chance. I'll let you know.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:02 AM   #57
rica1234

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile

Ok I think I may be going totally mad. I have upgraded to 4.1 in the trial version and for the life of me I cannot get the LCS OTA or interactive installs to work. I have changed all the .asp files to express the directory where located and it just tells me it can't find the page when I follow the link to install the Blackberry Enterprise Messenger. I can live with that, so I follow the directions on how to load it through Device Manager and it tells me there is no software designed for my device. I have moved the .alx and .cod files to the same dir. I was tinkering with the Push OTA install and the apploader reindex just wouldn't find it. Maybe the files in the Trial .zips are corrupted. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:24 AM   #58
jibi
BlackBerry God

if you move the cod/alx files into the same directory, open up the ALX file with wordpad (not notepad) and remove the 'For_4.0.0\Release' for the <directory> portion (just leave it as <directory></directory>); close and save the file, then try to load with Desktop Manager/Software/Application Loader.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:39 AM   #59
rica1234

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile

I gave it a shot but I am getting the same error. Here is the line after I removed that info. <directory _appsVersion="[4.0.0,)"></directory>. I also tried it without the _appsVersion="[4.0.0,)" part. Could you post the two zips for me so I can compare?

Last edited by rica1234; 03-13-2006 at 01:05 AM..
Old 03-13-2006, 08:41 AM   #60
jibi
BlackBerry God

sorry, that'd be against the law.