Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 03:01 PM   #261
emacf1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

Please Login to Remove!

at least now I could also write a FileScout for the IPhone :-D All that is quite a sad story - but I can life with the final result... I hope the uninstall process is not to inconvenient... and the new features are quite handy - specially for the the new Tour (where for what ever reason the default wallpapers could not be loaded)... and the Search in the TextEditor is also quite handy...

Last edited by emacf1; 08-25-2009 at 03:03 PM..
Old 08-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #262
PDM

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Its a real shame that RIM are being so @n@l re BB prefix.
Many thanks for the update!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:51 PM   #263
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM View Post
Its a real shame that RIM are being so @n@l re BB prefix.
I do not want to go off topic - but there are some apps even in AppWorld that uses the BB prefix - I have no idea, why FileScout was treated different...

Well - since I haven't mentioned it - of course all your settings from BBFileScout will be taken over to your new FileScout installation...
Old 08-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #264
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mo

Would it be possible to add setting word wrap on/off as an option in a future version?
Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #265
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeek View Post
Would it be possible to add setting word wrap on/off as an option in a future version?
mhhh - that's quite a challenge - since I assume once you saved the text you do not like to have the additional CR/LF in your saved file - it's just a viewing issue... Let me think about this and when i think it's possible to implement we will see it in one of the next versions.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #266
JoshTheMedic

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

New to this stuff, have a verizon bb curve 8330, need a pdf reader as mine does not have one... any suggestions?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #267
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

For PDF Readers looks at:

Repligo
BeamBerry
DocHawk
Docs To Go Premium

They cost something however (no free versions), if you are a big document guy then go with Docs To Go.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #268
raja_3012
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhn4
Carrier: AT&T

The "Check For Updates" option is amazing.

Nokia 2100 > Nokia 6100 > Samsung t319 > Nokia 5300 > Blackberry 8320 > Blackberry 8900 > iPhone 3GS > iPhone 4
Old 08-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #269
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacf1 View Post
mhhh - that's quite a challenge - since I assume once you saved the text you do not like to have the additional CR/LF in your saved file - it's just a viewing issue... Let me think about this and when i think it's possible to implement we will see it in one of the next versions.
Yeah, sometimes I have data files where the contents are arranged in columns. Turning word wrap off would make it easier to look at the contents and make quick assessments.

For text files with "normal" contents you would of course want the lines to be wrapped to make it easier to read.

Not a biggie, but it would be nice to have
Old 08-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #270
emacf1

having something like WordWrap OFF (and having scrollbars instead) will be quite a challenge... thinking....
Old 08-29-2009, 07:33 AM   #271
emacf1

actually I have read yesterday, that FileScout should not work on the 8220 Flip - I wounder where this information comes from - since I can not confirm this - there is no reason why it should not work on the Flip. The phone simulator (OS 4.6.0.195) works rock solid.

So when there are BlackBerry 8220 Flip users around who have problems with FileScout: Please get in contact with me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FlipFileScout.jpg (65.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #272
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
having something like WordWrap OFF (and having scrollbars instead) will be quite a challenge... thinking....
Just wondering ... for ordinary text files, displaying a line of text and having it broken/wrapped in all the right places so that it can be read nicely is a function of some internal RIM API, right, and not something that you calculate?

In the programming I've done (Fortran, C, C++) we didn't have such a function and calculating proper wordwrapping is something we had to program. Pain in the neck!
Old 08-30-2009, 01:46 AM   #273
emacf1

Quote:
Just wondering ... for ordinary text files, displaying a line of text and having it broken/wrapped in all the right places so that it can be read nicely is a function of some internal RIM API, right, and not something that you calculate?
That's 100% correct - there are GUI components that you can use, that automatically will do that for you (except the line number thing)... I just decided to have a small weekend break and after that i will see, if I could find a solution to have a none wrapped text mode as well...
Old 08-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #274
emacf1

Quote:
jbeek you made my day (or better the Storm OS) - details will follow...
Old 08-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #275
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja_3012 View Post
The "Check For Updates" option is amazing.
Ditto, especially since updates are released so often

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #276
emacf1

FileScout release of 1.3.0.0
The "pay-what-you-want" concept seams to be not understood - the meaning of Donationware seams to be difficult to understand. Since the new domain emacberry.com have been launched (begin of June 2009) FileScout have been downloaded 98.878 times (according to the server log files) - the number of donations since 1'st June 2009 is 321.

This are only 0,00324 donations per download! Even with the very optimistic assumption, that 90% of the downloads are updates of previous versions of FileScout, it's still such a biased proportion, that is going to make me think if Donationware is the right concept.

What's new?
  • New File Associations Option: "Use the BlackBerry default Browser to open HTML files". In previous versions of FileScout HTML files where always opened with the Media application. With this new Option it's possible to open any HTML files (e.g. from your SDCard) with the default BlackBerry® browser application.
  • New Function in TextViewer/Editor: Toggle WordWrap (ON/OFF)
    Unfortunately not available for for Storm users
  • New Simple TextViewer/Editor Option: Auto WordWrap (to select the startup behavior of the TextViewer/Editor) - default value is ON
    Unfortunately not available on TouchScreen devices
  • New functionality in search popup:
    • Select and deselect multiple files in the search result - Key shortcut: [SPACE]
    • Add single file (or selection of files) to virtual Clipboard [so the file(s) can be copied or moved to any destination once the search dialog is closed] - Key shortcut [C|V]
      Please note you can repeat as many searches as you like - each time you add a file (or a selection) to the clipboard the number of files in the clipboard is increasing.
    • Checkbox: Search only in the current directory
  • New Simple TextViewer/Editor Option: FontSize - select between: 'small', 'medium', 'default', 'large' or 'I am an old man' (default: DEFAULT)
  • Options are directly accessible from the TextViewer/Editor
  • TextViewer/Editor loading performance improved
  • TextViewer/Editor: new Menu items 'Goto Start' & 'Goto End'
  • TextEditor: new Menu item 'Switch to ReadOnlyMode' -> this will give you access to all new key shortcuts
  • TextViewer/Editor: new key shortcuts (TextEditor have to be in 'ReadOnly' Mode)
  • New Simple TextViewer/Editor Option: Start Editor in ReadOnlyMode
    If you have enabled the TextEditor, then you can specify if a file should be automatically opened in the ReadOnly more first. This allows you instantly to navigate with the new key shortcuts once you are opening a text file.
  • New General Option 'Warn when number of files in one directory exceed': You can select between 500|1000|2000|4000 files or no warning at all [DEFAULT: 2000]
    When you open a directory with FileScout it takes some time to read the content - you can select at which content size a waring should be displayed in order to get already a feedback to your open action.
  • New Menu Item 'Show vClipboard Content': Will open a popup that is showing you the current content of the virtual Clipboard.
    The virtual Clipboard popup supports the following key shortcuts
  • New Menu Item 'eMail <selection>' (when multiple files are selected)
    This function will send all files (no directories) that are multi-selected in the current folder. You can select multiple files by using the [SPACE] key. Please have in mind that the total attachment size might be limited by your provider!
  • New Menu Item 'eMail DIRECTORY-NAME' (when a directory is highlighted)
    This new function will send all files (no subdirectories) which are in current selected folder. Please have in mind that the total attachment size might be limited by your provider!
  • New 'File associations' Options: In the past FileScout was registering itself automatically as content handler for the MimeType text/txt for various extensions. Now this is configurable for which file extensions you would like to register FileScout as content handler in the BlackBerry® OS. You can select the following extensions: .ini, .log and/or .xml.
    Please note, that any change to this setting does only take effect after a full device reboot.

What's fixed?
  • File list scrolling speed tweaked - this version should give you a slight performance boost compared to previous versions of FileScout
  • File list will be updated, if 'Create New File' or 'Save as...' is used
  • TextEditor 'Save as...' will check, if destination exist

You find the full changelog (incl. a description of all new key shortcuts at FileScout Changelog

Installation & Update
You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the FileScout Homepage

Matthias

Last edited by emacf1; 09-17-2009 at 06:42 AM..
Old 09-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #277
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Thumbs up Das Beste!

This app just continues to be THE file manager for the BlackBerry (pro or otherwise ). Thank you once again, Matthias, for continuing to add key functionality on a frequent basis to make it even better.

Hopefully, more users will continue to support your Donationware model as I did many, many versions ago so that you will add even more capabilities in the future.

Last edited by visortgw; 09-17-2009 at 05:47 PM..
Old 09-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #278
BBNumber1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
The "pay-what-you-want" concept seams to be not understood - the meaning of Donationware seams to be difficult to understand. Since the new domain emacberry.com have been launched (begin of June 2009) FileScout have been downloaded 98.878 times (according to the server log files) - the number of donations since 1'st June 2009 is 321.
Matthias
Make it 322. I have been meaning to send you something for a while, and always seemed to get sidetracked.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #279
emacf1

Delete Me

Last edited by emacf1; 10-02-2009 at 01:24 PM..
Old 10-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #280
PDM

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Congratulations in that FileScout has been chosen as one of the sixteen BlackBerry Developer Challenge Finalists 2009!!
Closed Thread