BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 09:24 AM   #1
malware

Model: 7100g
Default Reconcile email. Wont delete from BB

Please Login to Remove!

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this issue. Have a 7100g configured to reconcile via desktop/intellisync. If a mesage is deleted from Outlook via permenant delete or moved to a offline folder a sync does NOT remove those items from the BB device.. It appears that the message MUST reside in the deleted folder of outlook before the sync will properly remove the item from the BB.. This causes some grief for those getting lots of email and using archive features that would not normally place this stuff in the deleted folder. Maybe I am wrong but I thought the sync should do a differential of the inboxes and not rely on another folder.

As far as the other direction of deleting message from the BB, those messages are properly removed from Outlook after sync'd. In addition, all other PIM sync functions work perfect.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:16 PM   #2
crushingviolet

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon
Unhappy RE:Reconcile email. Wont delete from BB

It doesn't do a differential. The blackberry has to see it in the deleted items to be properly removed. I have confirmed this with RIM as I had users complaining of the same issue. It also has to sit in the deleted items until it syncs again or a reconcile now has been performed. I LOVE to shift delete items, but it makes lots of cleaning time on the blackberry.

CrushingViolet
Old 10-08-2005, 12:14 PM   #3
SteveMRose
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushingviolet
It doesn't do a differential. The blackberry has to see it in the deleted items to be properly removed. I have confirmed this with RIM as I had users complaining of the same issue. It also has to sit in the deleted items until it syncs again or a reconcile now has been performed. I LOVE to shift delete items, but it makes lots of cleaning time on the blackberry.

CrushingViolet
I have found a work around that while not perfect, does accomplish what is wanted.

First, malware is correct that the message must reside in the "Delete" folder when sync happens to be moved from the BB inbox to the deleted folder on the BB- this is the only way to accomplish the "differential" you are looking for for deleted items.

To accomplish the differential for e-mails to be moved to Personal Folders (i.e.- .pst files) I have made a folder in Outlook Today called "holding" and I move all my messages to be moved to Personal Folders to this folder on the BB, which removes them from the inbox. Then, in Outlook I move them from the "Holding" folder to the Personal Folder and when the BB is sync'd again, the messages are no longer in the "Holding" folder. A bit of a pain in work around, but it does work.

There is also another way to do this using the Desktop Manager in conjunction with wireless reconcilation. DM will allow you to chose one Personal Folder to synchonize with and I have made one called "Current Month" and chosen it as the folder to synch with from within the e-mail configuration in DM. This folder is ghosted on your BB and you can use "file" on your BB messages in the inbox to move the messages to this folder, and then when the BB is synchronized using DM, the messages are filed correctly in this Personal Folder in Outlook as well. I move all my "Sent Items" and other messages to this "Current Month" folder on my BB and then they are moved in Outlook when I connect my BB to my computer.

If you need some screen shots let me know and I can post some when I am at work on Monday.

steve
Old 10-15-2005, 10:42 PM   #4
jlt3

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

CrushingViolet, thanks for this update. I've had the same question for a while, and had not figured out the cause. I don't like having items sit in my deleted items folder, but I also don't like having to delete the same email twice. Now i'll work on a process compromise for myself.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:30 AM   #5
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Set up a wired reconciliation with desktop manager set to use the local .pst file.

This will move them to a Personal Folder section of the folder tree on the handheld, not actually delete them, but at least you can go into that folder and do a "delete prior" to clean them off the handheld and they won't get removed from the .pst file

Delete prior works like shift + delete in Outlook. Bypasses the trash so the deletes are not reconciled.

OR

Copy the items to the .pst file then delete them from the mailbox. Once that's done, do a reconcile now to delete them from the handheld, then empty the deleted items folder in Outlook.

Zro
Old 11-26-2005, 05:32 AM   #6
Ro1

Model: 7230
Default BB messages not deleted when synch

I have the same problem. Before I upgraded to v4.0 (last week), messages in the BB inbox were deleted whenever I synched with the cable.

Since upgrading to v4.0, messages in the BB inbox no longer delete in the circumstances described in earlier posts in this thread.

So, the delete worked with v3.70 but not with v4.0. Surely this is a bug? Messages should not disappear into a "black hole".

Perhaps the old software automatically did a "delete prior" on the BB during synch?
Closed Thread