Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
tbdiscovery
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint
Default BES - Server will not Respond

Please Login to Remove!

I've been working with my admin to get my Sprint 8703e onto the BES with Exchange. When it first initialized, I was not able to sync contacts, tasks and memo via wireless sync. We tried to reactivate the device, and now we cannot get it activated at all. My admin has tried using different e-mail account variations, different desktop manager settings, wipe, everything. We keep receiving: The server is not responding. Please contact your system administrator.

I am being told that it is never this difficult. I'm sorry for such a broad question, but can you provide any advice?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
Natrone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: AT&T

It could be several things.
1. Are you sure you have Data Service on the device and it's set up for BES on the Sprint network?
2. Do you have any rules set in your profile that would limit messages sent to your inbox in Outlook? Don't limit any messages sent from blackberry or rim.com.
3. Completely reload the OS on the handheld, maybe it's a fluke load.
4. Try a different device and see if it will sync to your account.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

as far as reformatting, try a wipe handheld before reformating. Removes the information without the time spent of having to reload all the applications.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:19 PM   #4
tbdiscovery

Thank you. We have wiped the handheld several times, all of the e-mails are coming through to outlook with each activation attempt, I have unlimited data and it did initialize once before, so it must be activated on the Sprint network, right?

I will talk to him about reloading the OS and trying another device. Anything else?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
tbdiscovery

We have tried so many things. This is probably something simple. It definitely worked before, with issues, but it worked.

Does it matter that I use BIS as well? I have tried activation while using BIS for my work account as well, and also tried without it included in the BIS.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100
Carrier: Rogers

I bet 5 bucks that the BES service isn't enabled for this guy.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #7
tbdiscovery

My admin just left. We're still trying.

BES did work before...so I think the Sprint side is ok.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:59 PM   #8
tbdiscovery

My admin just left again. We wiped and retried so many things. Sprint is telling me it is turned on, and it did work last week - so I think it's on. Christ I don't know. Everything is always so difficult.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:58 PM   #9
tbdiscovery

Is there a relatively easy way to wipe the OS versus a security wipe? I'm not sure how to do that.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:31 AM   #10
tbdiscovery

Alright, I called Sprint again. The BES is activated on the Sprint side. I deleted all BIS accounts for both personal and exchange items. I figured out how to use JL Commander and wipred the OS. I then went to Sprint's site and dl'd the same OS. I even tried installing different versions of DM.

The server is still not responding. Poo.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:28 PM   #11
Krissy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100!
Carrier: Rogers

Can you dump the MAGT log transactions for that user ID during one of the activations here?

Also - were you able to activate the user account on another device?
Old 12-11-2006, 02:25 AM   #12
StumpieThumbz

Model: 8700C

Troubleshooting EA issues is easy, it's a simple process.

- are network@etp messages arriving in users mailbox?
- if no, are they being blocked by spam filtering..etc..
- if yes, why isn't BES picking message up?
-udp failure, access mailstore failure...etc..check MAGT log for the word "failure"

Check KB-05202 on troubleshooting EA issues, it's a great doc.

BTW, EA process is as follows

1) Setup acct on BES, and set EA passord
2) User enter email addy, password set by admin, and clicks activate
3) bb sends off request to specified smtp mail address with etp.dat attachment containing encrypt key, pin, password..etc
4) message arrives in users mailbox, and sends udp notification to BES
5) BESAdmin opens mailbox to find change, detects activation message, and pulls from inbox to process etp.dat attachment (how BES gets to know PIN of BB)
6) BES verifes encryption key, and begins sending services to HH
7) Sync process starts, all PIM data synced, and HH backup dbs are created on BES
8) Activation complete.

-Cheers.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:55 AM   #13
paulst

Model: 8707v

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbdiscovery
Alright, I called Sprint again. The BES is activated on the Sprint side. I deleted all BIS accounts for both personal and exchange items. I figured out how to use JL Commander and wipred the OS. I then went to Sprint's site and dl'd the same OS. I even tried installing different versions of DM.

The server is still not responding. Poo.
It might be worth ringing Sprint again and asking them to check the provisioning of the device and wether the PIN is still active. All this is done through RIM's prvisioning site of which Sprint should have access to.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #14
swinter
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile

The device was activated once before on your account or someone else's?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #15
tbdiscovery

Thank you. My admin now has my handheld overnight again. I do not know if they tried anything on another device - which I recommended from the folks here, but I know that it worked initially on my device. An odd part is that this worked on my exchange account address, but the admins insist on using the company address. I'm sure that they are right, but I know for sure that it initialized on an exchange address the first time.

The message arrives in my inbox each time we try to activate. I called Sprint again and they are 100% sure that everything is activated on their end. I gave my admins the number for Sprint's bb techs.

I do know what to watch for because it did work once before - such as the suitcase and the long list of items that are initializing. We just cannot get to that point. The admin reset the pw that lasts for 48 hours; I tried all e-mail accounts that could possibly work, and then just wait for 10 min or so until it says that the server is not responding.

After several security wipes, an OS wipe, and two nights without the handheld, I'm hoping this works. This time it was taken directly to the BES admin, rather than the roving tech guy (who is really good).

I'll should hear something tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Last edited by tbdiscovery; 12-11-2006 at 06:11 PM..
Old 12-11-2006, 06:09 PM   #16
tbdiscovery

I know that it can be hit or miss. My tech guy was telling me that while he was walking around trying to activate my handheld, he had a service call to go initialize another handheld. After reinstalling DM, apparently the other handheld basically read the BES without even entering the password yet. It was ready to go and on fire! Of course, he came back and reinstalled DM a few times and I wasn't so lucky.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:40 PM   #17
tbdiscovery

Alright, I'm up and running with complete wireless sync. The admins worked their magic the next day and it is here. It was the exchange e-mail account that needed to be programmed. Somehow, my account is set up different than everyone else's.

I do have a question though. My Blackberry Browser is giving me trouble, so I switched to the Internet Browser as the default. Theoretically, I do not think that I need the Blackberry browser, but I do want to figure this out. When I try to open a web page, I get this response:

A communication failure occurred with the selected Mobile Data Service. The server may be busy, please try again later. If the problem persists contact your administrator

and

Unable to connect to the selected Mobile data Service, please try again later. If the problem persists contact your administrator.

However, when I open the Blackberry Browser, click Wireless Web, and then try to get a link from there, then it works.

Any ideas? I'll contact the admins again if I have to, but I'm trying to figure this out on my own before bugging them again. They spent a couple weeks on this.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #18
tbdiscovery

Please? Anyone?
Old 12-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #19
cmhouser

Model: 8703

Man - I'm having the same issues as you were. God I hope this is more smooth of an issue than you had.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:23 PM   #20
tbdiscovery

I went back to the admins and they stated that the BB Browser is mainly used for internal apps, thus I should just use the Internet Browser. Aside from that: woo hoo! I'm up and running hard.
Closed Thread