Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #1
TBone2k
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: Bell
Default Getting Exchange off my BES box

Please Login to Remove!

Everyone here is so helpful and one day I hope to know enough to return the favour. Until then...

I inherited this BES 4.1 server with Exchange 2003 already installed on it. I have since migrated all the mailboxes, including BESAdmin, off to the new server, but the Exchange server program remains on the BES. In order to make sure everything in Exchange was migrated successfully, I tried to stop the Exchange services on the BES server. However I can't, since it says some of the BES services are dependant on the Exchange services.

So stopping the services was just a test. What I really need to know is if BES depends on certain Exchange services, how do I get Exchange uninstalled from the BES?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
noniman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250
Carrier: TELUS
Default you should be able to edit the dependencies

1. BES is not depndend on exchnage. you can just uninstall it.

BUT...

there are some CDO and MAPI dll's that need to be ont he system for it to connect to the server where exchange is running.

2. I edit the service startup dependencies to make sure none of exchange got started ... and reboot the computer. If after a few days BES was still working fine I would then uninstall exchange BUT leave behind any dll's it prompts you to delete. then reboot and see if it works.

3. make a copy of the folders somewhere incase you need to get a dll back.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100
Carrier: Rogers

To edit the dependencies you need to hit up the registry.
HKLM\System\currentcontrolset\services\bb services

edit the dependencies from there. then reboot
and back up your registry first.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
DKatman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

The setup guide is not very hard to find (not that I know where it is at the moment).

When I installed my BES, I remember that you did have to go through an install of Exchange (you don't have Full Exchange installed). Noniman seems right on with the components suggested.

I hate suggesting things that could pull you down completely, but I believe you could uninstall Exchange and then load it back just to have the needed components. (it is similar to how you load the management tools from exchange on your desktop PC to manage Exchange without being at the server). As I recall, it was mostly the connector that had to be there (it provided a connection to the calendar). It does show up in Active Directory as an exchange server.

Good Luck,
Dave

Search the RIM site for the install guide. I will see if I have some notes around about installing the Exchange components.

It does look to be the Exchange system Manager. And install (for me, 2003) Messaging and Collaboration server environment.

The appropriate cdo.dll hot fix registered to C:\program files\exchsrvr\bin.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
TBone2k
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: Bell

Okay, well just to wrap this up, I finally got an answer from RIM. They said to do what noniman had said. Remove the service dependencies from the registry. I then had to reboot to allow me to shut down the Exchange services. The blackberry services continue to run happily now even though Exchange is no longer running.

Strange that the software would set up that way, but I guess that's why they say you shouldn't run it on the same server as Exchange. (They do say that, right?)
Closed Thread